• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I want to become an infantry officer......

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyg

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey there, I am in my first year of university and the infantry officer position is becoming more and more appealing each day. I would prefer to be a soldier, because they do the cool sniper/machine gunner positions, but frankly I do not want to waste a university education and get paid less....so I will stick with infantry officer....I have a lot of questions though AND I realize some of them may be answered on the CF website or by talking to recruiters, but honestly I want a first hand account, and most of these questions are too specific for the recruiters...thanks guys....any help is appreciated

1) What are the pay deductions like (in numbers $$) for an infantry officer? (assuming I lived on base and had a meal plan)
ex. If I made $50,000 a year how much would I really be taking home?

2) What are some of the courses an infantry officer can take to improve himself/herself and what are the courses that are necessary for promotion?
ex. I want to know about the jump programs and mountain warfare etc., but also details about the leadership programs

3) How hard is it to rank up and what is the best way in achieving this? The recruiter told me whether or not I receive a honours degree or a normal bachelors degree is irrelevant, is this true?
ex. I believe that you are almost guaranteed the rank of captain assuming you are competent, however how hard/what does it take to become a major and etc.?

4) If I start in the military at age 21-22, I legally have to retire after 43-44 years in the service....I may not be in for that long, but how does the years of service affect the pension plan?
ex. I know that some pension plans are based on how much the highest 5 years of pay are and then they cut it down to 75% of that or what not, so how is the forces pension calculated, and how much weight does more years add to the pension?

5) What is the daily life for an infantry officer like?
ex. I have read that it is some paperwork, and other office duties, but what is it really like from experience? Also, is there time for you in the day to workout etc.?

6) What is the best way to deal with leaving home and missing friends, and how possible is it to be stationed close to home as an infantry officer (I live in southern ontario)?
ex. Right now I have a large social group and I want to stay close to my family, so how could I best do this while away, and how can i best persuade the commanders to put me close to home?

7) What is life like after work in these remote regions?
ex. I cannot see there being much to do in Petawawa etc., so how do you guys handle it and ESPECIALLY HOW DO YOU MEET GIRLS?!?! I want a wife one day but in Petawawa I am not sure I'd find a suitable candidate, or am I just making it seem worse than it is?

8) Anything you think I should know/do/prepare for?

9) THANKS!

All these questions, and I'll bet you never once peeked in the recruiting threads on this site, let alone read anything.....it's just like university.....read.

Welcome,

You'll find that most of your questions (if not all) and many you haven't thought of yet have been answered in detail in existing threads.

It is time for you to start exploring the boards on the forum and exercising the search function to find some of those answers.  That way people won't have to retype them for you.

Milnet.ca Staff

I have read some things, I figure I'll ask all the questions now and it'll make it easier for someone in the future because they only have to look at this thread instead of finding 10 others

Scottyg,
Even wannabe Infantry Officers have to work hard and dispel the common myth that they cannot read or write. You can do your part by reading previous posts.  ;)

http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/board,4.0.html

scottyg said:
I have read some things, I figure I'll ask all the questions now and it'll make it easier for someone in the future because they only have to look at this thread instead of finding 10 others

I have better solution.  I will leave this thread unlocked so that as YOU find the answers, you can post all the relevant links here in one place for those that come after you.

How's that for spirit of compromise and contribution to the site?

Milnet.ca Staff

scottyg said:

You have to understand that someone tries to pull exactly what you're doing here multiple times per week it seems.

Just look through the Recruiting threads, use the search bar, it's all been answered before.

If you don't think you have the ability to do so, just call up/visit your local recruiter.

haha alright I see that I will not get off so easily, the main reason why I did not search for anything was because I have an exam tomorrow...and the next day etc etc. its exam week I am busy! but i will try and find all of my info, if anyone wants to help thatd be cool, thanks.

ESPECIALLY HOW DO YOU MEET GIRLS?!?!

1) Get a car.

Something reliable, good on gas, and can get you the hell out of Petawawa.  Don't blow your money on some crazy ride out of The Fast and the Furious.  Get something that will get you to where you're going, and have some coin left over to enjoy your time there.

2) Sign up for Lavalife.

Email and MSN during the week, and set up dates for the weekend.  Some online dating sites are better than others.  PlentyofFish is for bottom feeders.  OKCupid is better if you're looking for a free site.  Don't be a dork and put your army hero shots up as profile pics. Put your occupation as "Government" and not "Military."  Put your location as Toronto.  If you smoke, quit;  If you drink, do it socially; if you're uber-religious, pretend not to be.

3) Use your parent's place in Toronto as a weekend FOB.

If you have a reliable friend who's place you can crash at, that works too.  Maybe you're a stud and girls invite you over as soon as they meet you.  If you're like the rest of us, you'll need a place to sleep on the less successful nights.

4) Date hipster university chicks from the GTA.

The problem with Pet is that for most of the year, the majority of young ladies who are smart and ambitious (the kinds that I'm attracted to, anyway) have gone away to school.  Not saying that there are no decent local women in Pet, I'm just saying that they can afford to be picky due to all the sausage that's around.  Quite a few local girls won't date army guys as a matter of principle.  Probably because they've already been burned by your buddies in the next platoon over.

In Toronto, the guy to girl ratio balances out a little better.  The fact that you're a young guy with a full time job might even put you ahead of the broke *** students college girls usually end up dating.

Trust me, dude. This process has been refined.

Wonderbread said:
1) Get a car.

Something reliable, good on gas, and can get you the hell out of Petawawa.  Don't blow your money on some crazy ride out of The Fast and the Furious.  Get something that will get you to where you're going, and have some coin left over to enjoy your time there.

2) Sign up for Lavalife.

Email and MSN during the week, and set up dates for the weekend.  Some online dating sites are better than others.  PlentyofFish is for bottom feeders.  OKCupid is better if you're looking for a free site.  Don't be a dork and put your army hero shots up as profile pics. Put your occupation as "Government" and not "Military."  Put your location as Toronto.  If you smoke, quit;  If you drink, do it socially; if you're uber-religious, pretend not to be.

3) Use your parent's place in Toronto as a weekend FOB.

If you have a reliable friend who's place you can crash at, that works too.  Maybe you're a stud and girls invite you over as soon as they meet you.  If you're like the rest of us, you'll need a place to sleep on the less successful nights.

4) Date hipster university chicks from the GTA.

The problem with Pet is that for most of the year, the majority of young ladies who are smart and ambitious (the kinds that I'm attracted to, anyway) have gone away to school.  Not saying that there are no decent local women in Pet, I'm just saying that they can afford to be picky due to all the sausage that's around.  Quite a few local girls won't date army guys as a matter of principle.  Probably because they've already been burned by your buddies in the next platoon over.

In Toronto, the guy to girl ratio balances out a little better.  The fact that you're a young guy with a full time job might even put you ahead of the broke *** students college girls usually end up dating.

Trust me, dude. This process has been refined.

I think this post should be stickied!

Milpoints for Wonderbread.

haha thanks wonderbread that helps....from experience though do you think a girl wants to know your in the military when you first meet her, or is it better to not throw that one out there?

It usually comes up fairly early in conversation: "So what do you do?"

Tell the truth, of course, but play it off like it's no big deal.  To 90% of women, it just isn't.  While being an army guy is pretty bad-*** to your buddy from highschool (who's all about the Modern Warfare 2), most women just aren't impressed by how awesome you are for being a C9 gunner.

If you bring it up the wrong way, you risk coming off as an arrogant douchebag.  If you only mention it when you have something genuinely interesting to say, then you're sparking her curiosity.

Hell no!

I'm just a worn out and washed up CPL, formerly from The RCR.

I used to.  Now I'm a student. 

What is "a living"? It sounds socially constructed, and therefore not actually real...

Ah!  Now a student of sociology and economics.  So?  What are the social and economic ramifications of Goldilocks and the Three Bears in relation to current gains of the $CDN on the $US, EURO and Ruple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back