• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I want to join CF

• Thread starter Thread starter JH_
  • Start date Start date

JH_

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a university student in final year of undergrad (at u of toronto currently).  I want to join CF as DEO Inf O. Personally, I have a V2 vision and happen to be a seasoned triathlete/marathon runner.  I don't have any weight issue or heart problem. I can run a marathon in 3hr 49min and can do 10km under 40min.  But, personally, I don't really understand how tough the trainings are like in the army.  When I went to the recruitment centre, I was told to apply in January when I know for sure about my graduation.  My questions are:

1) how competitive is it to join CF as DEO Inf O?
2) what's it like to march with heavy gear on yourself (i.e. where to expect injuries and etc)?
3) can I get help if I'm injured during training (i.e. get note from the doc to get sports massage or physiotherapy after the training to recover quicker)?

cheers,

jay

2) You get used to it. Watch the knees and ankles. If your ruck is poorly adjusted your back and shoulders could hurt like hell, and may pinch off circulation in the arms. Always use your waist strap. Work up the weight you carry over time- but don't worry, on basic they won't kill you right off the bat. They know most people coming in have not rucked before.

3) If you're injured during the course of your duties in the CF you will be looked after medically and will either be accommodated in training or given the option to re-course if you're too hurt to continue.

JH_

The competition to be an Inf O varies from year to year.  Keep your marks up, and work through the CFAT practice test, which will give you an idea about the actual CFAT.  Don't over-analyze the problems - you don't get extra marks for showing your work, nor for deriving the formula that will produce the answer to the sequence.  Make sure you answer all questions - if you don't finish its the same as being wrong for those questions.

Study the information on the website, and talk to the recruiters so you know what an Infantry officer does.  Understand why you want to do that job.

Brihard provided the answer to you other questions.  Keep up the running - the endurance will help you when you get into your Army and Infantry specific training.  You will also want to work on developing strength, especially in your arms, shoulders and core muscles.

thx for the info guys. I will be applying in January.

I wrote my cfat yesterday in hopes of becoming an intelligence officer. i received marks of 14/15 verbal, 11/15 spatial, 30/30 math/problem solving, and 20/20 advanced cognitive ability. i have no military experience and a poli sci honours b.a. what i would like to know (from those in the know) is if these marks are good enough to make me competitive. i know the spatial score isn't that great so should i realistically plan on having a decent chance?

vispa said:
I wrote my cfat yesterday in hopes of becoming an intelligence officer. i received marks of 14/15 verbal, 11/15 spatial, 30/30 math/problem solving, and 20/20 advanced cognitive ability. i have no military experience and a poli sci honours b.a. what i would like to know (from those in the know) is if these marks are good enough to make me competitive. i know the spatial score isn't that great so should i realistically plan on having a decent chance?

Vispa, there's a few more details we would need before we could assess how competitive you are with those scores.  Can you provide the following:

How many spaces are being filled in the trade?
How many candidates are there?
How did they all score on the CFAT?
What are the comparatives on all other factors for every candidate?

In brief, no we can't tell you how competitive those scores make you because the CFAT score is only one component of a complex structure determining suitability and competitiveness against other candidates.

vispa said:

I am no expert but shouldn't you keep the details of your CFAT to yourself? Scores, test questions etc.? At least that is what I was told when I was taking my test. You may be on dangerous waters here, mate.

korabian said:
I am no expert but shouldn't you keep the details of your CFAT to yourself? Scores, test questions etc.? At least that is what I was told when I was taking my test. You may be on dangerous waters here, mate.

Although discussing the contents of the CFAT in any amount of detail is forbidden, when I was briefed regarding the test I do not recall (although I could be wrong) anything about not being allowed to discuss your scores.  Knowing what someone scored doesn't necessesarily reveal any information about the test itself.

to o'leary: i haven't yet had a chance to ask those questions. i was hoping to do so during my interview. i'm just trying to gauge if this a relatively good score (for officer candidates in general).

to koradian: i don't think i've revealed any of the test content. as for my scores, even if we couldn't discuss them i haven't revealed my name (and i could always be lying ;))

vispa said:
I don't think i've revealed any of the test content. as for my scores, even if we couldn't discuss them i haven't revealed my name (and i could always be lying ;))

Agreed. But sometimes in all the excitement  people get carried away and say more than they wanted to...lets just say I was watching your back?  ;D  >:D  :salute:

:)well then thank you. i appreciate it. i'll make sure to continue to keep a tight lip.

vispa said:
:)well then thank you. i appreciate it. i'll make sure to continue to keep a tight lip.

Hey, no sweat! By the way, welcome to the forum and good luck with your application process. I hope everything will go well for you.  :salute:  :cdn:

vispa said:

odd.. the recruiters told me they do not disclose specific information on your CFAT other then if you failed, passed, or did good. :/ I was not told my marks or % at all, he just said I did above average. :/ Guess it differs.

Marshall said:
odd.. the recruiters told me they do not disclose specific information on your CFAT other then if you failed, passed, or did good. :/ I was not told my marks or % at all, he just said I did above average. :/ Guess it differs.

I simply asked the individual handling my application how I scored, and she showed me the results page from my personnel folder.

Marshall said:

When I pulled some EWAT at the Kitchener CFRD, we never released scores. Funny, I thought that would be standardized.

benny88 said:
When I pulled some EWAT at the Kitchener CFRD, we never released scores. Funny, I thought that would be standardized.

Well I remember the recruiter doing the pre-test prep told us that they would not be released. And then on the computers when we did the test it repeated that if I remember correctly. Oh well. Above average is all I needed to know  ;D

Marshall said:
Well I remember the recruiter doing the pre-test prep told us that they would not be released. And then on the computers when we did the test it repeated that if I remember correctly. Oh well. Above average is all I needed to know  ;D
I guess that means that you and I got almost the same score then ;)

Marshall said:
Above average is all I needed to know  ;D

All you needed to know is if your qualified for your trade or not. Average, above average, below average.....who cares ?

That means you are grouped with half the people that take the test.

Back