• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

If I don't do it now...

bdungey

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello folks, My name is Billy.
-First and most CERTAINLY foremost, thank you to all who contribute to this site. It is an invaluable source of advice and information.

I'm 23, a college graduate (Social Service Worker) and am currently studying in Thunder Bay, in a double degree program for Education and History. I lived in st. John's, NL for just under a year last year, at which point, I almost joined up with the Reserves. After years and years of THINKING about it, I'm gonna head down to the recruiting office on Monday morning. I've decided that I really do want to join up with the Army Reserve and worse yet, I don't want to wake up one day, 35 years from now, thinking, "Crap! I wish I did that!".

I have a few questions before I commit to anything, but am excited - moreso then I can put into words. It's a very nervous kind of excited. I've let my girlfriend know, we've been living together for almost 2 years now, she's 100% behind me, as is my family.

I want to know, or at least gain some insight into, how my life will change, and how that could affect my girlfriend, by joining the Reserves.

I have some questions regarding commitments, specifically, any REQUIRED commitments. Also about the training schedual... and what different routes I can take to get trained. I like the idea of doing a month or two in the summer, both for the experience and the 'lump sum' approach.. I think I'd learn better like that...

Anyways, I'll update this as my story unfolds...

You and I are in a fairly similar situation - I'm 22, just graduated, and applying to the Army Reserve.  I've been in the application process for about a month.  I can't really answer your questions (though the CFRC folks should have no trouble with them), but look forward to comparing notes on how things go.  Best of luck on Monday!

Sounds similar to where I was when signing up.  21 and had been thinking about the Reserves for a number of years... one day decided "f-it" (sorry about the colorful language but that was my exact thought) and did the online application for Infantry Reserve.

That was in late June.

By early July I had done my CFAT and the CFRC convinced me that joining the Regular Forces as AEC would be awesome.  What a trip the last few months have been, ship out in January.  They do a great job at CFRC of making the Regular Forces sound like the greatest idea ever  ;D (and so far I tend to agree)

Best of luck to you!

Well, going to spend most of my time today really putting some time into writing the most relevant questions I can think of, to bring in on monday..

A couple questions maybe a few of you can answer for me, just about going in for the first time...

I'm about 99% on the bus, just need a few things sorted out, before I commit... remember, we're talking about the reserves here...

-What should I bring in with me, should I decide to get the ball rolling? Resume? Police clearance?

-What can I expect when I go in, can I talk with someone as a walk in or should I call to book an appointment?

-Can I book my fitness test (as far as I've read.. theres a fitness, medical and aptitude test before you go anywhere) for a further date? I'm not sure I could complete the running aspect tomorrow =).

Actually, this might be a short visit for you.  I don't know if things are different up in Thunder Bay, but here in Toronto, the first step in the application process is to visit the reserve unit you want to apply to.  The unit recruiter will discuss with you what CF life is like, what the unit does, how training works, etc.  This step is pretty informal; don't feel like you're "on the spot".  They'll also probably be able to give you better answers than CFRC when it comes to things like the training schedule and how it will affect your life, since many things vary by unit.  For instance, depending on the position you're applying to, the expectation might be greater than the one-night-a-week+one-weekend-a-month that is advertised.

Of course, to visit the unit, you have to go during their parade night.  And if you're not sure what job you want (Thunder Bay has signals, a service battalion, and an infantry unit), the CFRC can help you choose.  So feel free to go (down here in Toronto, walk-ins are fine, though maybe you should call before leaving to be sure), but you might not actually start the application process until you've paid a visit to your destination unit.

Billy, the advice from jp86 is bang on about talking to either a unit or the recruiting centre.  I would add one further comment - go online with the chatters at forces.ca.  This is just as good as 'dropping in' to the centre and they can answer many questions directly for you, including what you need to bring.  They can also talk about the differences between Reserve and Regular service as well as what it is like in a unit from each component although the Reserve units in your area are the best placed to talk about local activities etc.

Good luck.

Well, just got in.
Got my enlistment papers... got to fill them out.

Going to put my application together over tomorrow... and hand it in on (hopefully) Wednesday afternoon.
After that, it's a matter of time. I can't WAIT wo get this underway.

I actually just handed in all my papers at the RC on Court St. last Friday, I'm joining the Reserves through co-op :)

Small world..

So, somewhat of an update:
I've handed in my papers, just waiting for my transcripts to arrive in the mail (High school and College).
When they come in, I'll hand em in ASAP, and hopefully get my medical booked.

I've been keeping up with PT as well. Since January I've been doing 30 minutes on the bike and anywhere from 30-45 situps (at a time) and 25-30 pushups (at a time) a day. Or as close as my class-schedual will permit... usually 5 times a week. I can start to 'feel' healthier already. I'm feeling confident for the Reserves Enrollment PT test, as I wouldn't have considered myself in terrible shape to begin with. Waiting for the air to get a little warmer, to jog every day....

I find it funny that I started my application 3 days after you and I already got accepted. It was probably because I wanted to join through co-op and I had all the documents I needed on hand or returned within the same day too.

Yeah,
I've kinda moved all over the place...
I anticipate it won't be a lengthy process from the time I get all my papers in line.
Do you have MSN josh?

Back