• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Insight into NCI OP

S_Wollen88

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently applied to the CF as a Navy Combat Information Op, and was contacted by my recruiter today knowing my interview, medical and aptitude test would be coming up soon. I am simply just looking for some first hand insight into this trade. What kind of things can I except if and when I make it to said position. Is it a boring, repetitive job. I know the videos make it seem like one thing, but I figure asking for some first hand experiences can only broaden my knowledge on this trade. Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Steven Wollenschlager

Only thing I know about the trade is that my wife was an NCI Op.  Now she's an ATIS tech.  :)

To each their own.  From what she tells me the Ops room is a pretty busy place.  You can easily go from go go go to watching flies "make love".  They pretty much speak their own language, at least she does just telling stories.  Not sure how much of it is Navy-speak and how much is NCI op speak. 

Her tour was a nightmare.  Hmm... what else.  She laughs at the videos and says its very little of what an NCI op does. 

All 3rd hand and she's sleeping, I'm not waking her.

I think all in all it was a good go.  There's a lot more to be said for the camaraderie than anything else in her opinion.  The job is OK.  They're all what you make of them in the CF. 

Shady on specifics and she won't come on here.  Things like painting with all the doors closed.  Highest threat alert, so missing out on a lot of port visits (3 or 4 months straight on the boat at 1 point).  Cranky old sailors who didn't want "splits" on their ship :)  Poor old sailors.

There's more.  Don't remember all the stories I've heard.  None of it really related to the trade if thats what you're asking.

bigabe said:
Cranky old sailors who didn't want "splits" on their ship :)  Poor old sailors.
  I just saw this, and it surprised me that old and crusties like that are still around.  My contractor was telling me yesterday that he got
out of the navy after 10 years and being a P2 because of what the navy was turning into...... women on ships!! OMG!

bigabe said:
Highest threat alert, so missing out on a lot of port visits (3 or 4 months straight on the boat at 1 point).

That is horrible indeed. I hate it when you sign up for a Carnival cruise and end up on a warship.

CallOfDuty said:
  I just saw this, and it surprised me that old and crusties like that are still around.  My contractor was telling me yesterday that he got
out of the navy after 10 years and being a P2 because of what the navy was turning into...... women on ships!! OMG!

Don't let the doorknob hit you in the ass on the way out!  Or better yet, let it.  ::)

Yes, there are still some around.  There's some too, that put on a "good face" but still secretly feel the same way.  IN all elements.

CDN Aviator said:
That is horrible indeed. I hate it when you sign up for a Carnival cruise and end up on a warship.

I agree.

PMedMoe said:

I missed out on 3 trips to Hawaii, a trip to Australia and a few more to other exotic places and thats only in the time i have been Air force. I guess my time has been horrible and i should just get out and complain on how bad it was.

Force protection........pfffffttt.....who needs that anyways ??

Bullcrap.  :mad:

If this was a problem for her, she would have used her divisional system or the ship's padre or HA and  filed a complaint under [ur=http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/dao-doa/5000/5012-0-eng.aspl]DAOD 5012[/url].

Crusty sailors exist and are part of working on the seas. Following orders is part of the routine as well.

S_Wollen88 said:
Hello,

I recently applied to the CF as a Navy Combat Information Op, and was contacted by my recruiter today knowing my interview, medical and aptitude test would be coming up soon. I am simply just looking for some first hand insight into this trade. What kind of things can I except if and when I make it to said position. Is it a boring, repetitive job. I know the videos make it seem like one thing, but I figure asking for some first hand experiences can only broaden my knowledge on this trade. Thank you for your time.

Regards,
Steven Wollenschlager

A job is how you make it. It can be rewarding or it can suck. There are quite a few posts regarding NCIOP as well as the other naval operator trades in the forum.

Whoa whoa.  Not here to spread info that isn't mine.  She says her tour was a nightmare so I'll just leave it at that, and there's a HUGE difference between filing for harassment and people talking/acting in a way that bugs you.  I would certainly hope the harassment "system" doesn't get abused in that way.  Or even Padre's for that matter... but thats a different conversation entirely.

Next, as far as signing up for a Carnival Cruise and ending up in a warship.  To me,  I'd volunteer to stay skip the ports as often as I had to just to not see mod tent (or recce tent, or hooch :crybaby:) in Suffield, Gagetown or Meaford.... and this is coming from a guy who LIKES Shilo.

But, the grass is always greener.  I'm sure I'd miss the Coleman stoves, the lingering smell of dying LOSVs, Suffield and its wind and everything else that sucks about it... and more.  Oh well, fingers still crossed for the OT.  :)

bigabe said:
I'd volunteer to stay skip the ports as often as I had to just to not see mod tent (or recce tent, or hooch :crybaby:) in Suffield, Gagetown or Meaford.... and this is coming from a guy who LIKES Shilo.

But, the grass is always greener.  I'm sure I'd miss the Coleman stoves, the lingering smell of dying LOSVs, Suffield and its wind and everything else that sucks about it... and more.  Oh well, fingers still crossed for the OT.  :)
.....LOL....dude, you're gonna love the navy!!!!

If you are still looking for some info on NCIOP. The trade can be very busy, at sea you work at least 12 hours a day and you are always in a dark room spending a lot of time on radar. but being at sea makes the time go by very fast. On completion of your QL3 you will be employed as an anti submarine plot operator (a position that could be very fun depending on how much work you want to do). Alongside it can be very slow because the main part of your job is at sea so when you are in home port you are mostly employed with other trades. if you have any other questions just let me know.

Did nearly 10 yrs as a NCI op before going Aesop and have been a civy since 2005. 

Lot of changes in the NCI op world since I departed, but it was a fairly decent job. Lot of time spent staring at a radar screen, which can get old pretty quick! 1 can expect to spend a lot of time at sea.  For the most part the people were great, but as expected there are those old crusty sailors who had the attitude i was screwed as a sailor, but its my turn to stick it to you,lol but it wasn't that bad!  You run into those types every where. well maybe not the Aesop world,lol  There is always something to do or learn in the Ops room. 1 second in can be quiet,then wham, all hell breaks loose!  Keep in mind that it is a hard sea trade, so later down the road if you want to try and remuster out of it, may be hard to do!

Stacked said:
I've got my CFAT in 10 days, can't wait.  NCIOP #1 choice! Wish me luck...

Hope you are in.

NCIOp according to me is the Jack of all trades.

You need comm skills, weather skills, bos'n skills, MARS skills, great thinking skills. One of the best NCM trades for a good critical thinker.

Quite a difference between a Reg Force and a Reservist NCIOP as most know and it seems you do not. You are already on our radar try to get off it.

Milnet.Ca Staff

Back