• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Israel wants F15SE Silent Eagles in new batch from Boeing

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Perhaps Israel is mulling a repeat of the 1980s Osiraq/Osirak strike, but against Iran? Silent Eagles might just be the kit they need.

Foxtrot Alpha/Jalopnik

Stealthy F-15 Silent Eagle May Get A Reprieve As Israel Requests More Eagles

Tyler Rogoway
Filed to: Eagles11/02/15 9:15pm

A report from Flightglobal.com states that Israel is requesting a batch of F-15s as part of a compensation program for the U.S. making a deal with Iran over its nuclear program. According to the report, not just any F-15 was requested, but the F-15SE Silent Eagle.

The F-15SE was Boeing’s attempt to compete internationally with the F-35A Joint Strike Fighter, especially for major purchasing competitions like those recently held in Korea and Japan, both of which are F-15 users. These users ended up selecting the F-35, and Israel also opted for the F-35 even though they are among the most prevalent F-15 operators in the world

(...SNIPPED)

Good choice in terms of range, payload and ability to defend itself. When you have to go for Gen 4 or 4.5, it pays to go for the best.

One can dream  :nod:

From a simple analytical approach, based on the vast distances we have to cover either domestically or to deploy to trouble spots around the world, and the ability to carry a large and varied payload (including sensors, air to air and air to ground munitions), the F15SE would be the obvious second choice to the F-35, but I doubt reality will be allowed to intrude.

Thucydides said:
One can dream  :nod:

From a simple analytical approach, based on the vast distances we have to cover either domestically or to deploy to trouble spots around the world, and the ability to carry a large and varied payload (including sensors, air to air and air to ground munitions), the F15SE would be the obvious second choice to the F-35, but I doubt reality will be allowed to intrude.

I would agree, however if Boeing does put it forward in the competition, I think it would have a very real chance of winning, you would get stealth, two engines, a large payload with a very large amount of ordnance that can be carried. It would be a very good choice for canada I think.

I doubt Boeing will. Their goal is to keep the Super Hornet line open.

PuckChaser said:

Boeing's goal is to make money. They will sell what ever airplane a customer wants to buy.

PuckChaser said:

I'd think that their goal would be to keep ANY fighter aircraft in production in order to maintain the capability to compete against Lockheed Martin in the USAF "F-X" and USN "F/A-XX" programs that will be replacing the F-35 with the next, 6th Generation fighter and fighter-bomber.

A politically expedient solution for Canada might be to purchase a reduced number of Eagles that can adequately fulfull the NORAD role and provide a reasonable expeditionary capability for the mid-term (except against the most advanced opponents) and kick the decision on some F-35s down the road.

The cost per flight hour for F-15's is roughly double the cost of Super Hornets, is it not?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have fewer F-15SE's than more F-18E/F's, but I'm thinking that might throw a wrench into the optics, especially as Trudeau campaigned specifically on the F-35 being too expensive.

M.

It wouldn't be the first or last time the Liberals would be wrong canceling something they think is to expensive, and actually cost us more in the long run.

Cdn Blackshirt said:
The cost per flight hour for F-15's is roughly double the cost of Super Hornets, is it not?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have fewer F-15SE's than more F-18E/F's, but I'm thinking that might throw a wrench into the optics, especially as Trudeau campaigned specifically on the F-35 being too expensive.

M.

Estimates I've found from a quick google is the F-15 around 17k per hour and the F-18 at around 11k per hour, That said we don't exactly have accurate numbers on the flight hour costs of a F-15SE vs a F-18 Advanced super hornet (to compare to latest models)

MilEME09 said:
Estimates I've found from a quick google is the F-15 around 17k per hour and the F-18 at around 11k per hour, That said we don't exactly have accurate numbers on the flight hour costs of a F-15SE vs a F-18 Advanced super hornet (to compare to latest models)

$17 000 an hour?  I don't know what union these aircraft are part of,  but I want in!  For $17 000 an hour I would probably flap my arms hard and fast enough to actually get airborne and drop bombs...

And we would need a second crew for the backseat, which we don't have readily available...  This also brings more costs.

SupersonicMax said:
And we would need a second crew for the backseat, which we don't have readily available...  This also brings more costs.

Send new ACSOs from the school to the USAF to train, as we'd presumably do the same for Pilots?  If we went with the F/A-18F we'd have to do the same (USN), at least for the first cadre.

SeaKingTacco said:
Max,

This is all just an ACSO plot to get back into fighters...  ;)

I think Cold Lake would be a hard sell, cool job or not.

SupersonicMax said:

Is Boeing able to produce more than one version at a time?  We could go for the F-15C 2040 and not have the back seat...

I am pretty sure it would cost a lot more to get a structurally modified variant just for us designed and tested, than it would cost to train and maintain a second crew.

I agree, the Strike Eagle would be the best 4th Gen option (provided we don't cheap out on systems) and could even give the F-35 a good competition for what we, Canada, need.  But it is far more expensive to buy and operate than the F-35 will ever be.

All true, Max.

But, the narrative has been written. The F35 is "too expensive".

So, we will buy something else that costs even more in the long run.

Pretty much the Canadian way of doing business...

SupersonicMax said:
I am pretty sure it would cost a lot more to get a structurally modified variant just for us designed and tested, than it would cost to train and maintain a second crew.

I agree, the Strike Eagle would be the best 4th Gen option (provided we don't cheap out on systems) and could even give the F-35 a good competition for what we, Canada, need.  But it is far more expensive to buy and operate than the F-35 will ever be.

The F-15C 2040 is being offered by Boeing as an upgrade package to existing F-15C's in the USAF.  Doesn't sound like any new development costs to be borne by Canada if we went that route.  New F-15C's incorporating already designed upgrades already being offered.

GR66,

My understanding is that the proposed upgrade is of the A/A variant.  In order to be able to carry the same A/G load a Strike Eagle does, it would need some major structural mods.

Back