• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LAV III Mobile Gun System (MGS)

• Thread starter Thread starter mattoigta
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pugnacious said:
I still don't under stand why we can't build our own stuff with all the unemployed talented people we have in Canada .
anyone have any thoughts on this?

I'll give you two reasons off the top of my head maybe why we shouldn't...

1 - LSVW

2- Iltis

As if it's not bad enought that Canadians build us some crap kit, they also rip us off... (see my above post on GDLD MGS costs...)

Now we do also have some sweet homemade kit too...but "fool me once..."

Cheers
Mike

Franko said:
The article you read was incorrect. An RPG-7 CANNOT penitrate the M1A2 turret or hull armour. I don't know who or what your sources are, but they are definatly completly out of their gourd.    ::)

I have seen shots of a M1A2 that went through a fire fight where it was hit with no less than 7 RPG-7 rounds and was able to keep the crew safe and sound. They fought on and won the fight.

Regards

Franko... your wrong. A M1 was penitrated in Iraq by a reported RPG. In fron rearside top side skirt , into the fighting compartment, nickin the gunner and ending up in the NBC sys on the other side of the compartment. Though it was a 1 in a million shot, it was still done.

Also , are you sure it was a M1A2, i don't think any were deployed yet, but i will ck my sources.

12Alfa

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292236-2336437.php

Shortly before dawn on Aug. 28, an M1A1 Abrams tank on routine patrol in Baghdad â Å“was hit by somethingâ ? that crippled the 69-ton behemoth.

The soldiers of 2nd Battalion, 70th Armor Regiment, 1st Armor Division who were targets of the attack weren't the only ones wondering what damaged their 69-ton tank.

Both quotes from the same article in Army Times.  The unit is apparently assigned to the 3rd BCT of 1 US Armd Div.

After the victory in the Persian Gulf, 2-70 AR returned to Germany and was reassigned to the 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized) in 1992. The Battalion was deactivated in Germany in 1994 and reactivated in February, 1996 at Fort Riley, KS as part of the 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Armored Division.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/2-70ar.http

As to the M1A2 or the M1A2 (SEP) US Army TRADOC (Training and Documentation Command?) seems to think that the M1A2 was deployed in Iraq

TRADOC is responsible for training all Soldiers who join the U.S. Army, including members of the 4th Infantry Division -- a recent "shining star." The 4th Inf. Div. is the main unit of Task Force Iron Horse, which was primarily responsible for the capture of Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein. In early December, several units of 1st Brigade, 4th Infantry Division, and Special Operations forces of Task Force 121 found Hussein hiding in a 6- to 8-foot-deep hole during an early morning raid in Ad Dawr, Iraq. Hussein's capture marked a milestone in the Global War on Terrorism.

The 4th Division is a mechanized division armed with M1A2 Abrams tanks, Bradley fighting vehicles, 155 mm howitzers, anti-tank and anti-armor AH-64 Apache attack helicopters, and UH-60 Black Hawk transport helicopters. Soldiers who operate in these military occupational specialties receive training at various TRADOC schools. The Army's tankers train at the Armor Center at Fort Knox, Ky. The Field Artillery School at Fort Sill, Okla. is responsible for training the artillerymen who performed during the raid, while the helicopter pilots received their formal training at the U.S. Army Aviation School at Fort Rucker, Ala. Infantrymen receive their basic and advanced training at the U.S. Army Infantry Training Center, Fort Benning, Ga

http://www.tradoc.army.mil/pao/TNSarchives/January04/014004.htm

I think we can chalk both points up to Franko on this one 12A.

I could find no word on the M1A2 SEP but I was under the impression that the 4th were actually driving the SEP variant rather than the plain vanilla M1A2.

As to one vehicle being hit by multiple RPGs, I am sure Franko knows there are a number of different warheads, some more effective than others.

Cheers

Here are some M1A2 SEP references:

The 4th Infantry Division has the latest model of the tank, the M1A2 SEP, which weighs 69.5 tonnes, is armed with a 120mm main cannon and is equipped for digitized communications.

"It is the most heavily equipped, and heavily armored main battle tank that the US has ever put out in the field, and supposedly can protect those inside fairly well," said Patrick Garrett, an analyst with GlobalSecurity.Org, a private research group.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2003/031029-m1-abrams.htm

Soldiers from the 3rd ID are asking for a driver's vision enhancer on their M1A1 tanks. DVE is on the upgraded Abrams tank the M1A2, as well as the M1A2 SEP. The DVE is a thermal system that allows drivers to see through dust, smoke, haze and darkness.

Staff Sgt. Jared Hamilton, who fought in Iraq with the 3rd ID, said he is not very fond of the M1A2, even though it is more technologically advanced than the M1A1. â Å“It has too much stuff that can break,â ? he said. Because of the 3rd ID's busy schedule, it has not had the time to upgrade its M1A1 tanks.

The commander's independent thermal viewer is a key element of the M1A2 SEP model. However, troops have expressed interest in having the viewer installed in the M1A1, even though the Army has no funds budgeted for the upgrade.

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/article.cfm?Id=1487

And another, this one by a 4th Inf Div Coy Cmdr

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1114025/posts.

This one is particularly interesting because it is a "lessons learned" post.

3ID M1A1 Common, USMC M1A1 Common, 3ACR M1A2, 4ID M1A2 SEP & M1A1(exact model unknown), 1AD M1A1 AIM, 1CD M1A2 SEP. 1ID 1BCT M1A1 with some M1A1 Common
3ID was using M1A1 HA's (the DU armored ones). No M1A2's made it into Iraq until the very last day or so of the war (4th ID).
USMC was using M1A1's as well.

There are some A2's there now with the Ft Hood based units and 3ACR, but also some M1A1's from 1AD in Germany

as well the us army itself has said that, a M1A1 has been penetrated, it has posted pics, how much more proof does one need?

Didn't Franko say that it was the M1A2 that had NOT been penetrated?

The photos confirm that an M1A1 has been penetrated.

That 'lessons learned' post is really interesting.

Esp' this part...
"Train your soldiers - all of them, even the cooks, clerks, and command drivers, on dismounted operations. Teach dismounted patrol, ambush, and counter-ambush techniques. Tankers, scouts, mortarmen, you will need to do this. Teach everyone how to react to ambushes - mounted and dismounted. You cannot take your tanks and personnel carriers everywhere."

Thanx!  ;D
P.

Kirkhill said:
Didn't Franko say that it was the M1A2 that had NOT been penetrated?

The photos confirm that an M1A1 has been penetrated.

My mistake..

Although I can't find any data on A2 beeing deployed there, lots of talk, but no hard data. my sources in the US says no, and I can't find any pics either. What has led to the A2 story is a M1a1HA that some units are using with a turret head system that is located in the same position as the CTIV as on the A2.

Untill I see a pic of one, i'm leaning on there being none there.

A side note: I think that the side hull armour on the A2 is not heaver or upgraded from the A1Ha, therefore it as the M1A1 can be penetrated by a RPG as we have seen, the front glacis and turret have additional armour in the A2. But I'll ask and do some more data research to be sure.

The M1A2 has few chassis mods from the A1, and none that would affect armour or protection.

I saw a documentary where a basic M1A1 went through the A2 upgrade.  While lots of it was classified, it did show the hull going through a complete rebuild, then being mated to the turret afterward. 

I don't think that any A2's were deployed either.  They were certainly not part of the initial deployments, although some may have been shipped there recently.

Thats what I thought. My data shows no increase in armour protection on the side hull.
There have been lots of sightings of them in Iraq, but like I said they were the USMC mods.Many like the M1A1HA over the sep models, quoting them as saying "there's to much teck stuff to break", wish we had that problem...

So Kirkhill  I stand by my orginal post....I think, LOL

Fair enough 12A. 

Just looking for the accurate gen.  Cheers. ;) :salute:

Unfortunately, not having had the benefit of military experience myself, I thought I would post some pertinent a few documents recently released under ATI and resultant puzzling questions, and some interesting tidbits, about the MGS.
This lets the subject-matter experts provide their comments/advice. :cdn:

A 19 Jan 2004 'Presentation to JCRB' re: MOBILE GUN SYSTEM [MGS] Statement of Operational Requirement' notes:
"The MGS is not a replacement or substitute for a main battle tank.
Equipped with M68A1 "105mm gun, stabilized (fire on the move);
Can Defeat T-72M at 2000m;
Operational mobility C-130 (1000 naut miles @ 38,000 lbs);
Leopard Tank Transitional Distribution - Asst CLS Approved:  Total Fleet = 66,
CMTC BlueFOR - 14; CMTC OPFOR - 4; LdSH (Live) - 14;
CTC (Gagetown) - 8; CFSEME (not yet approved) - 2;
Operational Depl Stock (prob Montreal) - 14; Log Stock (prob Montreal) - 10."

:cdn: What is CFSEME??  :cdn:

Although, during the slide presentation the PD notes: "It has been clear to all involved with the project, including the former minister's staff, that movement by C-130 is not the normal mode of transport and would only be done in an emergency with limitations.
The vehicle can be prepared for a transport weight of 38,000 pounds.  The limitations will probably include a reduced ammo load and removal of the 14.5mm heavy machine gun armour.
You can see that the primary weapon will be the NATO standard 105mm gun.  It is still a very capable weapon able to defeat a T-72M tank."

:tank:  The point that MGS "Can Defeat T-72M at 2000m"  seems to directly contradict other DND Briefings that MGS only capable of defeating a level II armoured threat (up to T-62).
An 8 May 2003 'BRIEFING NOTE FOR ADM(Mat) - MGS'  states "The main gun, a stabilized 105mm with autoloader, will defeat hardened bunkers and armoured vehicles up to T-62 Tank [roughly equiv to Leo I ??]."
While, a 2003 BN (Briefing Note) 'CONCEPT FOR PROCUREMENT OF THE US MOBILE GUN SYSTEM [MGS]' affirms "The MGS does not have the capabilities of a modern main battle tank in terms of firepower and protection, however, it is capable of fire support tasks short of tank on tank engagements against modern MBTs.  The logic in delaying ACV (MGS predecessor) was that it did not offer a significant capability improvement over that provided by Leopard I.  This logic is still valid." :tank:

Meanwhile, MGS 'Backgrounder' notes: "The MGS can be deployed aboard CF air assets, a major step forward in providing protection for Canadian soldiers quickly when they deploy."

:cdn:  Regarding MGS deployability, a public domain answer provided by DAR 2, the LCol in charge of Directorate of Air Requirements tactical transport business, noted:
"Typical Maximum Payloads [MPL] for an eastern crossing to Europe are 28,000 lbs for an E-model and H30, and 30,000 lbs MPL for a regular H.  Western crossing are limited to 25,000 lbs MPL for an E or H30 and 27,000 lbs MPL for a regular H."
Therefore a 'stipped-down' 38,000 lb MGS is only tactically deployable via C-130H (of which the CF only has 11) over short distances of a couple hundred nautical miles at most, compared to over 3,000nm to cross Atlantic Ocean - 1,000nm via C-130J only.  :cdn:

:cdn:  As noted in Air Force's 2003 'Aerospace Capability Framework' released 31 May 2004, the "Airlift Capability Project [ACP] aims to acquire a replacement capability for the current CC-130 E and H [-73 model] aircraft.  To determine 'best value', the ACP will examine options that range from the status quo, replacement of the CC-130 with like capability, or replacement of the Hercules with an aircraft with the capacity to carry outsized cargo.  Outsized cargo is defined as cargo that, because of length, width, height and/or weight, cannot fit into a Hercules-sized aircraft.  Such cargo includes equipment such as the HLVW used by the Disaster Assistance Response Team [DART]; the Beaver Tail Trailer; 6K and 5K forklifts; and the 6x4 Dump Truck.  Other equipment, such as the Army's LAV-III must be disassembled to enable transport by Hercules.  Three Hercules flights are required to transport two LAV-III vehicles."  :cdn:

A high-level Jan 2004 'Project Brief For a Major Capital Project - MGS', to PMB for Preliminary Project Approval, had some interesting, SOR Highlights, assertions:
"2.3.5 - Risk of buying long lead items.  Long lead-time items (specifiically the gun tube and breech) will have to be procured prior to finalizing the main production contract to meet the delivery schedule.  It is, however, known that the contractor will have to place an order for these same items for the US Army program after the Canadian long lead item order.  Negotiating a buy back clause with the contractor could mitigate this risk.
3.4  Project Constraints  3.4.1.2 - There is no intent for the project to buy additional stocks of existing configurations of ammunition."
  Which seemingly implies no additional AMMO is required. :bullet::bullet:

:tank:
Interestingly, a Oct 2003 report 'Stryker Brigades Versus the Reality of War' by Mr. Victor O'Reilly (article pdf link available on Army.ca) - an author and counterterrorism authority with an obvious bias for the MTVL upgrade, has some damning contradictions and revealing information:
"Bought to be C-130 deployable but too heavy."
MOST INTERESTINGLY on pg47 - "Stryker MGS problems with the 105mm cannon get worse. . . . (numerous issues listed) . . .  Why are the contractors trying to use the wrong cannon, on the wrong chassis - at the taxpayers' expense?
The short answer to this question is that the Army has a large number of surplus M68A1 cannons which are being made available to the contractor virtually for free.  [The M68 105mm cannon was the standard weapon for the M60 tank and the early Abrams.]  Accordingly, it is very tempting indeed to try and use that free cannon in the Stryker Mobile Gun system because it increases profit per vehicle by about US$250,000."

This provides GDLS with a major profit incentive to make an unsuitable gun such as the high-velocity M68A1, that requires a muzzle brake and heavy recoil mechanism to reduce gun recoil impulse - with has the side-effect of adding to the weight problem, work on the MGS vs a LRF 105mm gun (Low Recoil Force).  As problems are being fixed at taxpayer expense, x204 MGS for Interim Styker Brigade Combat Teams = US$51M profit, plus x66 MGS for DND = US$16.5M additional profit, or US$67.5M Overall additional profit from just the M68A1 cannon alone. 
:fifty:  This seems to blow a major hole in '2.3.5'  "Long lead-time items (specifiically the gun tube and breech) will have to be procured" ??  While "Negotiating a buy back clause" adds yet more unnecessary cost to the MGS project - seemingly more profit for GDLS. :tank:

:tank: While a DND 'MGS UPDATE 12 AUG 03' seems to implicitly confirm O'Reilly's assertions about "Stryker MGS problems with the 105mm cannon get worse." as other than listing MGS decision, order, and delivery timelines, plus "Proposed Project Timelines", the remainder of the briefing is "WITHHELD - per s.13.1 & s.20.1.b" of ATI.  Highly probable that only major integration problems, with LRIP already delayed until Feb 04, would require such severe pruning of an Update Brief?? :tank:

:tank:  Meanwhile, a '21 Oct 02 Info Brief to CLS' on 'MGS' sheds interesting new light on '3.4.1.2' as section on 'AMMO' affirms: "MGS must provide direct, supporting fires . . . in order to destroy hardened enemy bunkers, machine gun, and sniper positions.  To accomplish this the MGS primary armament must defeat a standard infantry bunker and create an opening in a double reinforced concrete wall, through which infantry can pass.  Primary armament must engage and defeat a dismounted Infantry squad in the open from a minimum of 50m to a maximum of 500m.  Primary armament must have the capability to deliver high explosive munitions in an anti-personnel mode.
New buy/development"
AMMO required:
"- M393A2 HE-T [based on a HEP rd);
- XM1028 AP Canister [based on 120mm rd];
- M467A1 TP-T."
:tank: :bullet: :bullet: :bullet: :tank:

:tank:  Meanwhile, besides the Type Classified tracked M8 Armoured Gun System (light tank) mounting a Watervliet Arsenal M35 LRF 105mm gun in a well-armoured turret, that is air deployable via C-130 (including via parachute), in the mid-90s an 8x8 LAV-based MGS predecessor successfully completed development and testing.  This was the Textron Marine & Land Systems (Cadillac Gage) Light Armoured Vehicle - Assault Gun [LAV-AG].  The LAV-AG is based on the LAV-I as supplied to the Marine Corps (3 prototype LAV-AG completed using chassis supplied by USMC) and mounts M35 LRF 105mm in a two-man reduced profile turret similar to that used on the Cadillac Gage 'Stingray' light tank (which also mounts the more suitable M35 LRF 105mm).  Even though the LAV-AG was completed on time and within the fixed price budget,'Jane's Armour and Artillery 1996-97' notes it was cancelled "due to lack of production funding between FY93 and FY96 as Pentagon acquisition policy did not allow continued development of a program unless there was assured production money."  Unlike the MGS "Trials have shown that the LAV-AG can engage stationary and moving targets with a high first round hit probability while the vehicle itself is stationary or moving."  :soldier:

Interesting, that GDLS (General Dynamics Land Systems) does not use a proven solution, the Cadillac Gage LAV-AG turret on the LAV-III chassis (easily transferable from earlier LAV-I), in favour of saving company money (by not having to pay a license fee or subcontract to TM&LS for the 90s technology LAV-AG turret) by using 'no-charge' high-velocity M68A1 cannons - US$67.5M Overall additional profit - on the cramped GDLS Low Profile Turret [LPT] just to try to save a few pounds in weight due to use of the heavier M68A1.  Also noteworthy that the GDLS LPT is 80s technology as it was originally designed by Teledyne Vehicle Systems (taken over by GDLS in early-1996) for the mid-80s private-venture tracked Expeditionary light Tank (which compared to the 10 round replenisher for the MGS had a 22 round replenisher) with the more stable chasis able to accomodate the M68A1 or the M35 LRF 105mm gun.  Jane's notes "The company envisaged it could be fitted to such chassis as the M48/M60 and Leopard 1 series MBTs, the old M47 medium tank and the M41 light tank, and the Marine Corps AAV7A1 armoured amphibious assault vehicle."  No mention of a LAV type chassis - Interesting!  :tank:

:salute: Curiously, DND seems to have bought into the notion of padding GDLS's profit margin as, besides the noted '2.3.5', the December 2003 'Project Profile and Risk Assessment Project 00000731 MGS' notes: "The Industrial and Regional Benefit strategy would be to seek an IRB commitment of 100% of the contract value.  This would be achieved though both direct and indirect benefits, with a target of 50% direct Canadian value-added, with a view to improving General Dynamics Land Systems - Canada viability."  By implication, the 2,131 Stryker LAV-III.5s for the Interim SBCTs, the 651 LAV-III; 203 Coyote LAV-II; 199 Bison LAV-II, and numerous foreign sales of thousands of LAVs (USMC, Australia, New Zealand, Saudi Arabia) must not have done much to improve GDLS-Canada's viabillity??  :salute:

:cdn:  I sincerely hope the above provides/provokes some thoughtfull discussion amongst all the regular/reserve/retired Armour types out there as this directly affects the livelihood of the current RCAC members.  I look forward to reviewing the responses after a few days.
[I do ask that those with No subject matter experience stay out of the discussion.  ::)]

Yowza that's an eyesore.  I didn't see anything on here that we have yet to bring up and discuss on previous threads concerning the MGS system.

A very interesting compilation of facts.

The Leo with its 105 could NOT defeat a T72M frontally at 2,000 M.   Hitting it is not the problem, turret penetration is.   Unless of course, DU ammo is used, in which case we can defeat it.   So the statement is not necessarily a lie in itself, but it is misinformation!

As for the rest, you will note that the ADDITIONAL armour required to defeat 14.5 mm projectiles over the frontal 45 degree arc had to be removed to attain the 38,000 lb goal.   And, of course, we all knew that our C130's could not carry it.   As an aside, even the C130J has to be refuelled air to air after take off to meet its range requirements.   It is out and out misinformation saying that three Hercs are required to move two MGS.   If you want the MGS operational, you know, full ammo (all 16 rounds vs the Leo's 52 rounds) fuel, crew, water, rats, etc, etc, you would need five Hercs to move three MGS.   I can just see that happening, can't you?

Canada has several spare L7A1/A3 and M68 barrels laying around.   We bought hundreds of them in the early '70's to upgun the Centurion, and we had spares for the Leo.   We have plenty to put on the MGS, but as was noted, the MGS should have the new light-weight LRF 105 as is used on many other vehicles.

It doesn't matter how you slice it, we are buying a brand new vehicle that has less capability than our old Leo's.

But, the vehicle is wheeled, and thus "politically correct".

Mmmm.
The T-72 has around............. Turret: 510-530      Glacis: 520-560
Lower front hull: 250, for Ke wpns

Best non-du 105 ammo will get 52cm peneration.

Given the ammo is better than what Canada has/used (DM) we could just use the better ammo to do the same job as Du, could we not?

12Alfa

The T-72M is the model with the "Dolly Parton" armour on the front.  If you see one, you would know how it achieved that name.  A very obvious add on armour package, specifically designed to defeat all known KE projectiles at that time.  I believe the turret front was equivelant to something like 1 Meter of RHA.

It can be defeated by 105 projectiles, but not anything we own.  We would either have to re-gun to the new Royal Ordinance 105 gun with its new ammunition, or to purchase DU projectiles.

There are not that many M models around, but that is still the standard that we (NATO) strive to be able to defeat.

The DM63C is most likely the best non-DU/ standard 105 NATO barrel available, and that is the round we bought.  But, whether it is fired from the MGS or the Leo, it will not penetrate the turret front of the T-72M at 2,000 meters or further.

Lance Wiebe said:
The T-72M is the model with the "Dolly Parton" armour on the front.  If you see one, you would know how it achieved that name.  A very obvious add on armour package, specifically designed to defeat all known KE projectiles at that time.  I believe the turret front was equivelant to something like 1 Meter of RHA.

It can be defeated by 105 projectiles, but not anything we own.  We would either have to re-gun to the new Royal Ordinance 105 gun with its new ammunition, or to purchase DU projectiles.

There are not that many M models around, but that is still the standard that we (NATO) strive to be able to defeat.

The DM63C is most likely the best non-DU/ standard 105 NATO barrel available, and that is the round we bought.  But, whether it is fired from the MGS or the Leo, it will not penetrate the turret front of the T-72M at 2,000 meters or further.

Lance,

Appreciate the informative advice on T-72s and gun stocks.
FYI, the CF already has DU stocks as an Oct 02 CLS 'Info Brief' notes that besides the three types of 105mm "New buy" munitions that would be required for the MGS bunker-busting and anti-infantry roles, CF intends to retain "Stock-piled M900 DU", although this seemingly goes against Canadian Environmental/Medical concerns against using Depleted Uranium shells (especially with the touchy-feely Politically Correct government Canadians seem to have voted back in).

Lance/12Alfa, If open info, out of curiosity what is the penetration of the 105mm DM63C shell [Lance - when you said barrel I take it you ment best shell available] we have in stock (ie. Level II MBTs)?  and at what sort of distance?

Also, I believe Infanteer is in error as I don't recall any previous mention of either:
high-level Jan 2004 'Project Brief For a Major Capital Project - MGS', to PMB for Preliminary Project Approval, or 19 Jan 2004 'Presentation to JCRB' re: MOBILE GUN SYSTEM [MGS] Statement of Operational Requirement', or 'Aerospace Capability Framework' released 31 May 2004 - specifically LAV-III transport restriction anywhere on the MGS threads before.

Meanwhile, the Leopard Tank Transitional Distribution - Asst CLS Approved:  CMTC OPFOR - 4
seems to indicate at least a small dedicated OPFOR (Likely Company size) as opposed to LFWA units from 1 CMBG being used for OPFOR?

Indeed.  Instead of barrel, insert projectile.

I read a Janes article that was unclassified, and said that the DM63 was capable of penetrating 40-45 cm of armour at 2 KM.  I assumed at the time that they meant RHA, although that was not specifically mentioned.  You may be able to found more on the web.

105mm DM63 (= Israeli M-426, Germany â Å“earlyâ ? 90's, Italy, Canada (DM63C) c2000, probably Chile c2000) 40-45cm@2km

For a program that DND, as of January 2004, expected the US Army to award the LRIP contract for 72 vehicles by August 2004 (itself deplayed from original early 2003 schedule due to numerous MGS problems), the following contract does not bode well for the future of Armour in the CF.  :(

With its cramped interior as noted in the 93 report by Victor O'Reilly, "The ergonomics - human factors - in the Stryker MGS have proved to be appalling.  You cannot see what you need to see - and there is no space for 95% of the population", the Cdn mods for additional equipment are likely to exacerbate the ergonomics problem.  ^-^

Armour types - have any directives come out yet that only lightweight Midgets (no 'little people' disrespect intended) will be allowed to undergo MGS crew training?  :D

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?prod=47637&session=dae.5522906.1098844437.QX8JFMOa9dUAAF3HPDw&modele=release

General Dynamics Awarded $5 Million Contract to Perform Engineering Studies in Support of Mobile Gun System

(Source: General Dynamics Land Systems â “ Canada; issued Oct. 22, 2004)

LONDON, Ontario --- The Canadian Department of National Defence has awarded General Dynamics Land Systems - Canada a $5 million CAD (approx. $4 million USD) contract to perform engineering feasibility studies in support of the Canadian Mobile Gun System program. 

These studies will assist the Department of National Defence in defining modifications to the Stryker Mobile Gun System to meet Canadian requirements. Studies are anticipated in a number of technical areas including communications, navigation and logistics support. 

In April 2004, the Canadian Government announced that they would be entering into negotiations with General Dynamics Land Systems - Canada for the acquisition of 66 Mobile Gun Systems. These vehicles will provide direct-fire support and are a key element of the Canadian Army Transformation. The performance of these engineering studies will be an important part of the negotiation process. 

The Mobile Gun System is a variant of the Stryker family of infantry combat vehicles that are currently being manufactured for use by the U.S. Army Stryker Brigade Combat Teams. On Thursday, October 14, 2004, the U.S. Army authorized low-rate initial production of the Stryker Mobile Gun System. All ten Stryker variants are now in full-rate or low-rate initial production. 

General Dynamics Land Systems - Canada, located in London, Ontario, Canada is a business unit of General Dynamics Land Systems of Sterling Heights, Michigan. For more than 25 years, approximately 1,500 highly skilled technical personnel at the company have designed, manufactured and delivered a unique family of light armoured vehicles (LAV). 

General Dynamics, headquartered in Falls Church, Virginia, employs approximately 71,600 people worldwide and anticipates 2004 revenue in excess of $19 billion. The company is a market leader in mission-critical information systems and technologies; land and expeditionary combat systems, armaments and munitions; shipbuilding and marine systems; and business aviation. 

-ends- 

On Thursday, October 14, 2004, the U.S. Army authorized low-rate initial production of the Stryker Mobile Gun System. All ten Stryker variants are now in full-rate or low-rate initial production.

US Army sure has kept this overdue decision low-key - no announcements anywhere on US DoD or Army sites.  :-X
[Pentagon to Rumsfeld - 'maybe we can slip this MGS thingy through if we keep quiet and the Media doesn't find out its actually in production?']  ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back