• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

Holy shit Brihard.... you don't think the 84 independent Trudeau appointments of the 105 member senate aren't going to go his way?
I was curious about this, so did some digging on the Senates website. Going back 2 years, no senate vote had all 105 senators present, with most votes having a maximum of 87 votes, and a minimum of 27. I scanned several individual votes to determine if the ISG, PSG, CSG, Conservative, or non affiliated senators tended to vote in specific blocks to adopt or defeat bills. To be honest, it was pretty random. While certain individuals always seemed to vote with the Gov't, many others appeared to vote (or not show up) issue by issue, and not always for the affiliated/nonaffiliated political leaning.

Holy shit Brihard.... you don't think the 84 independent Trudeau appointments of the 105 member senate aren't going to go his way?
He’s didn’t say that. He said “swiftly”. The Bloc put a tight timeline on it. One the senate could easily stifle. Not that hard for conservative senators to create a procedural quagmire to stall things.

He’s didn’t say that. He said “swiftly”. The Bloc put a tight timeline on it. One the senate could easily stifle. Not that hard for conservative senators to create a procedural quagmire to stall things.
So, maybe Trudeau can get them through first and second reading and off to the upper chamber by the deadline and then tell Blanchette "it's out of my hands". Would it be wise for Blanchette to "force and election" when Trudeau has "done his best" to meet the Bloc's "reasonable" demands "which will be good for all Canadians" in the HoC? Blame then falls on the Senate and those obstructionist Conservative and independent Senators.

So, maybe Trudeau can get them through first and second reading and off to the upper chamber by the deadline and then tell Blanchette "it's out of my hands". Would it be wise for Blanchette to "force and election" when Trudeau has "done his best" to meet the Bloc's "reasonable" demands "which will be good for all Canadians" in the HoC? Blame then falls on the Senate and those obstructionist Conservative and independent Senators.
Like I mentioned the Bloc could vote with CPC and the NDP could still support the LPC. It’s all smoke and mirrors. But the bloc gets to show everyone they are serious.

I’m sorry, I can’t make my key points any more italic for you than I already did.

You're kidding aren't you?

There have been 84 independent (Ha Ha) appointments to the Senate made on the advice of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. Total Senate 105.

I think you meant “independent”. 😉

Austin Powers Laser GIF

I am not kidding. Read my words again- he appointed them, yes, but they have the protection of senate tenure. He cannot ensure any particular result. He also cannot compel the Senate to move swiftly if it’s not so inclined. While the Senate rarely outright rejects something from HoC, it might languish in committee for quite a while, and/or face significant amendment.
While what you say is true, and should be the case - my fear is that all of these individuals appointed to the Senate by Justin creates a Senate that feels obliged, at least to some degree, to support and pass whatever legislation Justin manages to get past the HoC

(I refuse to address him as PM Trudeau, he sure as hell isn't my PM that's for sure)

I don't even know how one PM can appointed 84 out of 105 Senate seats to begin with, but that's another issue for another time...

Back