• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberals Want Injured to Keep Getting Danger Pay Back in Canada

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Am I being callous (and I'm sure I'll be told  ;D ), or is this idea, well, a bit goofy?  If you're outta danger of possible contact/battle, I'm thinking the danger pay should stop.  I note it can continue for 25 days after someone leaves theatre, but is outside Canada.  Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

Injured troops lose danger pay when home
Glen Mc Gregor, Ottawa Citizen, 4 Oct 06
http://milnewstbay.pbwiki.com/61630

Canadian soldiers injured in Afghanistan are returning home to find they have been cut off from the extra danger pay they received serving in Kandahar.

The Department of National Defence says its pay-and-benefits policy dictates that even injured soldiers lose the special allowances they receive for fighting in danger zones.

Canadian Forces members are eligible for extra pay for risk, hardship and foreign service, or a combination of all three, as is the case in Afghanistan.

A corporal on his second rotation in Kandahar, for instance, receives an additional $2,111 a month on top of a salary that ranges from $4,069 to $5,190.

The allowances are tax-free and base salary is also tax exempt up to $6,647 on risky missions.

But once a soldier is injured and leaves Afghanistan, the additional benefits end and his or her paycheque returns to its previous level.

DND spokesman John Knoll says there is a discretionary extension to allowances for up to 25 days while the injured soldier is in transit or being treated out of country -- at the U.S. military hospital in Landstuhl, Germany, for instance. But once in Canada, the benefits end.

Liberal MP Dan Mc Teague says he was shocked to learn that soldiers who risk their lives were getting docked for pay they would have received if they didn't get hurt.

"I think that's a very shabby way our way to treat our soldiers," he said.

"What does that say for morale? We look like a bunch of cheapskates to our soldiers who need us at this time."

He said the increase in injuries in Afghanistan requires to the government to change the policy now. Since 2001, at least 158 Canadian soldiers have been injured, while 39 have died, including injuries yesterday.

Wounded soldiers shouldn't lose pay perks, MPs say
Bruce Campion-Smith, Toronto Star, 5 Oct 06
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1159998617517&call_pageid=968332188774&col=968350116467

Opposition MPs are pressing the government to reverse a policy stopping badly injured soldiers evacuated from Afghanistan from collecting danger pay and other financial perks that add thousands of dollars a month to their pay.

"I find it deplorable," said Liberal MP Dan McTeague (Pickering-Scarborough East). "If they're wounded, there's no way under the sun they should find themselves cut off. It looks like we're cheap or we don't care.

"If we've got $13 billion (surplus) bucks to put down towards our debt, surely we have enough money to restore the funding to our wounded soldiers who've taken a bullet for their country."

The moment Canada's injured are sent to Germany or to Canada for medical treatment they are no longer entitled to "operational allowance" that adds $2,111 to monthly pay.

That allowance, the same regardless of rank, compensates soldiers for being away from home and for mission hardships and risks, defence spokesperson John Knoll said. Allowance is paid for "being in that place and under those conditions."

The military can continue the allowance for up to 25 days after a soldier leaves Afghanistan and usually does. After that, it ends.

Injured soldiers also lose tax-free status. In Afghanistan, soldiers do not pay income tax on earnings up to $6,647 a month. That perk disappears if they are hurt and returned home.

Defence officials do note that, unlike many in civilian jobs, injured soldiers still collect their base salary and retain benefits while recovering.

McTeague argues the injured should be compensated for the time they were to be in Afghanistan, usually "a six-month commitment. We should retroactively pay all those wounded soldiers.

"The country owes it to them (and) ... the Prime Minister has an opportunity to do that."

A cousin of McTeague's was severely wounded in an Afghan suicide bombing last month. He's recovering at Toronto's Sunnybrook Hospital.

NDP MP Peter Stoffer (Sackville-Eastern Shore), said the policy "sends the wrong message ... that, if you get injured, financially you're going to be a lot worse off."

Étienne Allard, speaking for Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor, said by email the government has no plans to alter its "operational allowance" policy.

I think that policy has been in effect even for guys wounded in  Bosnia.  And, what if someone gets wounded on their day before heading home (heaven forbid): how long do his benefits last?

I smell slippery slope and politicking.  Does the fact that the honourable member's own cousin was wounded that he is only now learning of this policy?

Just asking.

OK....tries to breath....
This is yet another spin job by the liberal party to put people up against the Conservatives. I think the policy is fair...in the long run an injured soldier will probably benefit more from his/her injuries via Veteran Affairs pensions than if they had received the danger pay. Just another talking head from Ottawa trying to raise the publics ire.

I hate politicians....ARRGGHH!

:rofl:

Flipping crusaders!

VG you nailed it, my pay was "fixed" even before our plane landed in Ottawa!  I had paperwork waiting in my room telling me this!!

Well if they get it back good on the boys, they deserve to still be paid!!

(anything retroactive from when the Liberals were in power and "Peacekeepers" were wounded?)

dileas

tess

Obviously, someone in the Liberal party has caught a poll that Canadians support the troops. They now feel a need to jump on the bandwagon (leadership from the back of the opinion poll), no matter how poorly thought out it is.

Of course, there is a precedent....considering how much the Liberal-packed Senate gets paid for contributing nothing to the governance of Canada, it's equally logical for the troops not in danger to get danger pay.  ::)

Journeyman said:
Obviously, someone in the Liberal party has caught a poll that Canadians support the troops. They now feel a need to jump on the bandwagon (leadership from the back of the opinion poll), no matter how poorly thought out it is.

Of course, there is a precedent....considering how much the Liberal-packed Senate gets paid for contributing nothing to the governance of Canada, it's equally logical for the troops not in danger to get danger pay.  ::)

Then we'd have to give the senators a raise  ;D

Yup, if your paying me to do nothing than I'm grossly underpaid.......

I think if the politicians truley wanted to help us, then pass the bill that stops docking are pensions when CPP kicks in.

Andy

I agree with LIKELY, the FSP/Risk/Hazard pay is for service on operations.  Those injured soldiers will receive Disability Pensions that deal with the long-term issues associated with their injuries, in this case, injuries sustained on operations in a designated Special Duty Area.  Per the Pension Act, a Disability Pension is deemed to be a tax-free benefit.  Ref: VAC Disability Pensions

It seems as though the Liberals are trying to imply that the soldiers won't be looked after by the Government, which is untrue.  This is a case of someone trying to use the wrong tool to fix something...likely for political leveraging/gain and not real benefit of the soldiers.

What would be of greatest benefit, would be to ensure that the soldiers receive appropriately sufficient Disability Pensions from VAC.  This is where the focus should really be placed, as there are anecdotal cases out there where long-term support appeared less than supportive to the injured members.

G2G

LIKELY said:
OK....tries to breath....
This is yet another spin job by the liberal party to put people up against the Conservatives. I think the policy is fair...in the long run an injured soldier will probably benefit more from his/her injuries via Veteran Affairs pensions than if they had received the danger pay. Just another talking head from Ottawa trying to raise the publics ire.

I hate politicians....ARRGGHH!

VAC pension is not immediately given however, and is back dated to the date you apply.

However, I find it interesting how a long serving member of the Liberal party never brought this up, when those of us were being injured on operations when the Liberals held power.

Interesting to see, guess it may be time to send out an e-mail to get clarification on this new stance. 

dileas

tess

I don't know how the pay works, but one would hope that the soldier receives some sort of financial assistance to compensate for the injury and towards helping them adjust to their new situation. do they get decent support for equipment or changes to their housing to help them deal with their new disability?

the 48th regulator said:
Yes,

But not immediately.

dileas

tess

It's change a bit since you've been injured Tess.  Visiting my buddy in Winnipeg that had his legs blown off in an IED, he mentioned how fast he got all his payments and whatever he didn't have they quickly covered.  It seems that the CF(rightly so) is truly looking after all pers injured in operations in a timely manner.  A bit late in the game considering the rigamole that some people injured in the 90's had to go through but it's improving and I can only imagine it getting better as the system deals with more injured people.

Hopefully,

It still has been a challenge for me, so my observations may be a bit cynical to the military, VAC, and the Government in General in regards to the care of the wounded and injured.

I am glad he did get immediate compensation, and hopefully for the full amount he deserves. 

dileas

tess

In a discussion with one of our injured (PT accident, not Cbt), he mentioned he was going after SISIP for exactly this, the income lost due to being unable to do his duty and stay in the sandbox.

I've honestly can't recall any of the details of the sisip coverage, anyone have the info handy?

DF

BTW, I agree with Tess, #%*$* opportunists.  How long did this file sit on a liberal desk?

In a discussion with one of our injured (PT accident, not Cbt), he mentioned he was going after SISIP for exactly this, the income lost due to being unable to do his duty and stay in the sandbox.

This strikes me as shockingly petty and it trivializes why the bonuses are in place.  You get HA, RA and the rest for being deployed to a s**thole and risking your neck, not for being at home due to a sports injury.  They're called bonuses for a reason and people regarding them as lost "income" that they should be compensated for are missing the entire point.

the 48th regulator said:
Yes,

But not immediately.

dileas

tess

You can say that again, but now I have Cujo creating havoc for me.

Teddy,

I won't argue with that, just thinking that if a guy who suffered a PT accident was getting compensated by SISIP, surely someone wounded in action would get at least the same consideration.

If you think Mr McTeague's argument is vacuous check out the blog behind the Globe and Mails online version of this story at this link

It's really sad at how ill informed, ignorant and full of bile some of these people are. Logical 'for' or 'against' seem to have vanished (at that place....)

Sigh (he says, slipping into that state of cynicism he is so well known for...)

Someone once told me that given an infinite number of monkeys and an infinite number of typewriters sooner or later one of them would end up writing Macbeth... I wonder... given an infinite number of NDP staffers and an infinite number of computers how long would it take to come up with a blog like the one mentioned above.....

This reminds me of earlier generations of soldiers, who by contrast saw a "million dollar wound" or a "blighty" as a good thing and didn't worry about what was in the horse's mouth.

Back