• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Library & Archives Canada acquire "Canadian supersoldier" journals, mil docs

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Well done, Library & Archives Canada!
April 1, 2016 – Gatineau, Quebec – Library and Archives Canada (LAC)

Library and Archives Canada (LAC) acquires the declassified journals and military records of Canadian supersoldier James "Logan" Howlett.

Logan was born in 1882 in Cold Lake, Alberta, Canada, to wealthy landowner Elizabeth Howlett and her grounds-keeper Thomas Logan.

Logan’s journals provide valuable insight into his early life in Canada, including work as a miner in a British Columbia stone quarry, a fur trader for the Hudson's Bay Company, and a homesteader in the Canadian Rockies. His military career spanned multiple conflicts, making his personnel records an unprecedented study in Canadian military history. Logan was gravely wounded in action many times, and gained a reputation as a gritty survivor ...

One needs to look after our national treasures like this. :)

I hope they get a chance one day to declassify and publish the records of another Xtrodinary Canadian soldier.  Wade Wilson.

Canada really has some amazing soldiers throughout her history, back in my high school days I used Leo Major as a major inspiration to get myself in gear for my application I had planned for after graduation.

Léo Major DCM & Bar (1921 – 12 October 2008) was a French Canadian soldier in the Régiment de la Chaudière in World War II. He was the only Canadian and one of only three soldiers in the British Commonwealth to ever receive the Distinguished Conduct Medal twice in separate wars.

On the night of 13 April 1945, Major single-handedly liberated the city of Zwolle in the Netherlands from German army occupation. This action earned him his first Distinguished Conduct Medal. He received his second DCM during the Korean War for leading the capture of a key hill.

Major died in Longueuil on 12 October 2008 and was buried at the Last Post Fund National Field of Honour in Pointe-Claire, Quebec. He was survived by: Pauline De Croiselle, his wife of 57 years; four children; and five grandchildren.

Dija said:
Canada really has some amazing soldiers throughout her history, back in my high school days I used Leo Major as a major inspiration to get myself in gear for my application I had planned for after graduation.

. . . . .

Wow, I'm impressed by the immense effort you must have put in salting the internet with information about "Leo Major" in order to continue this "April Fools joke" thread.  The "story" reported in the OP would have been relatively easy for LAC to pull off as they have all the resources and website in-house.  You on the other hand, must be a master - I tip my hat to you . . .  oh, by the way, do you do sarcasm as well?

Back