• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistic Vehicle Modernization Project - Replacing everything from LUVW to SHLVW

Another article on the truck fleet replacement

The numbers don't look particularly amazing, talking about replacing an original 2879 LSVW (now 1333) with 650-1100 and over 1500 Heavy (now 591 +86 AHSVS and 59 Osmosis water(?)) with 300-550. I get not needing as many heavy due to the overlap with the new mediums but that shouldn't result in such a large reduction in the LSVW's, should it?

The numbers don't look particularly amazing, talking about replacing an original 2879 LSVW (now 1333) with 650-1100 and over 1500 Heavy (now 591 +86 AHSVS and 59 Osmosis water(?)) with 300-550. I get not needing as many heavy due to the overlap with the new mediums but that shouldn't result in such a large reduction in the LSVW's, should it?
Only way that makes sense for the LSVW is if we go heavy on the milcot replacement.

Gotta remember there is a separate project for a new LUV in addition to the LVM Light. And there are 330 ULCV that don't exist in the inventory now. And finally there is the Arctic Mobility project to replace the Bv206 capability.

Gotta remember there is a separate project for a new LUV in addition to the LVM Light. And there are 330 ULCV that don't exist in the inventory now. And finally there is the Arctic Mobility project to replace the Bv206 capability.
What, with another BV? What can possibly compete in that field?

The BV's in our inventory are pretty old. I imagine they will be replaced with a newer version of the BV.

The BV's in our inventory are pretty old. I imagine they will be replaced with a newer version of the BV.

Cpl Frisk has an informative piece on the subject:

Bv 206 meets Mercedes​

Several modern vehicles are found on the market, including BAE System Hägglund’s BvS10 Viking Mk 2 and ST Engineering’s Bronco ATTC, which underwent snow mobility testing in Finland last winter. However, for a country like Finland which has over 600 Bv 206 and a number of older indigenous Sisu NA-series (as well as a handful of the lightly protected Bv 308), getting a similar number of modern protected all terrain vehicles is probably overly expensive. The BvS10 Viking is found in an unarmoured (and likely cheaper) version designated BvS10 BEOWULF, but with modern military vehicles ‘cheap’ doesn’t necessarily equal ‘little money’.

The only problem I have with Beowulf is that, unlike the 206, it won't fit in a Chinook. The market needs new build, up-engined 206s. Or at least a cabriolet version of the Beowulf.

On the other hand they can be sling loaded.

Also have to note these projects have to stay in budget, so that night be the max vehicles they can get with the current allocated budget for the project.

The “give them back to the taxpayer” option is the preferred COA, more so for should emergencies arise where non-jettisonable heavy weight is undesirable.
I much prefer a slung load for alot of the same reasons. And it is much easier on my aged body not putting heavy things into a helicopter and pulling them out again....

Is the replacement project considering future needs or current requirements?

Not to mention when they replaced the 5 ton, Deuces, 5/4ton, jeep it was on a roughly 1-2 new for every 3 old vehicles.

Not to mention when they replaced the 5 ton, Deuces, 5/4ton, jeep it was on a roughly 1-2 new for every 3 old vehicles.
We keep trying to do more with less, yes the truck may be bigger and can haul more but I can't deliver to two units at the same time unless doing a centralized DP, which is what we will be forced to do due to smaller numbers of trucks.

We keep trying to do more with less, yes the truck may be bigger and can haul more but I can't deliver to two units at the same time unless doing a centralized DP, which is what we will be forced to do due to smaller numbers of trucks.
Russian and Chinese artillery is happy that we are so obliging in concentrating our assets for them and saving them money on future Fire Missions. :confused:

I posted the GM defence win else where but it is interesting here too.

We should just tack on 1000 for us.

The Canadian Rheinmetall bid will the German truck with all the German stuff still on it. Better a GM/German truck now that they have won.

The Mack bid will be a French truck
The Iveco a Italian truck (how that work out last time?)
Oshkosh is the truck you see in the US army
GDLS and Daimler will the German truck.
International Navistar is supporting the Rheinmetall bid now.

We should stay away from European sourced because of the supply chain issues.

Just for context...

That's less than one full day's production... from one plant

GM Arlington Manufacturing Complex

The plant produces roughly 1,300 vehicles per day and GM pays $1 million in daily wages at the facility.

yup know it well. The two GM plants in Canada at onetime also did that.

I find people outside of the industry don't really understand the size. The complexity, size, competitiveness and the full scope of the automotive industry. When Ottawa puts a bid out for Postal trucks, or army trucks etc.

I was having drink one night at an industry conference not automotive one for my after work job job. My much larger public owned competitor says to me "who are you people? We have put everyone else out out of business or bought them you guys don't die." I said to him I'm from Windsor and we do the Car business and every other business and/or industry in the world is easier.

Glad there are new posts in this thread, I was thinking of this just the other day…

How is the truck replacement program coming along?

I’ve seen MLVW replacements at Reserve units. Quite a bit bigger, and just looks like a far better qualify truck!

Have the replacements for LSVW, or HSVW made it to the units yet? (Have there been final decisions on which trucks to buy as a replacement even?)

Back