• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LSVW Penthouse?

chrisf

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
Long shot, but does anyone know the dimensions of an LSVW mounted penthouse off hand? I'm doing up some CAD drawings for somone, but his measurements don't add up.

a Sig Op said:
Long shot, but does anyone know the dimensions of an LSVW mounted penthouse off hand? I'm doing up some CAD drawings for somone, but his measurements don't add up.

Ouch. Good luck.

I'm curious, why do you need solid dimensions for a CAD drawing of a penthouse? I'd think a conservative set of figures, say 8ft on a side from the truck, would be sufficient for a plan view for a drawing that included a CP det setup.

I've got a copy of the original instructions, I'm fairly certain they've got exact dimensions, at least for the setup with a 5/4Ton, but the dimensions are the same, though it's on my computer at work, so it'll be a few days.

Exact dimensions, because if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right. Doing a layout for several different unit setup SOPs depending on the scale and requirements, line plan, etc, all done on overhead slides so they can lay over each other.

I've got a copy of the instruction booklet sitting in the back of mine, but I won't have access until later in the week.  Does anyone know anything about a new penthouse for it?  Apparently it's a "pop-up" type of shelter.

Spanky said:
Does anyone know anything about a new penthouse for it?  Apparently it's a "pop-up" type of shelter.

You may be thinking of the DRASH Shelter http://www.drash.com. Very quick set up (under 10 mins for a crew of 4), but doesn't fold as well as mod does. Won't fit in a LSVW Radvan, needs a cargo variant to use because it gets bulky.

The new C3I Bisons still have a modular-based penthouse, but it just sets up like a section of mod, and laces onto the back of the vehicle.

Side note, all DRASH shelters shold be set on fire, then thrown into the ocean to put the fire out. If I hear one more person say

"Wow, this DRASH shelter is a fne piece of kit isn't it"

I will loose my mind.

"No sir, it just looks space age."

While they do have some fantastic features, they're fragile, bulky, and hard to transport, and loose hands down to the equivilent model from their competitor base-x.

Though it does look space age.

PuckChaser said:
You may be thinking of the DRASH Shelter http://www.drash.com. Very quick set up (under 10 mins for a crew of 4), but doesn't fold as well as mod does. Won't fit in a LSVW Radvan, needs a cargo variant to use because it gets bulky.

The new C3I Bisons still have a modular-based penthouse, but it just sets up like a section of mod, and laces onto the back of the vehicle.
Thanks, that's the info I was looking for. 

Didn't all the drash the pimply-bums play with get shipped to the sandbox for 1-06? I haven't seen the big round house in quite some time.

LineJumper said:
Didn't all the drash the pimply-bums play with get shipped to the sandbox for 1-06? I haven't seen the big round house in quite some time.

We have quite a few we still use a 1 Sigs out West here... I suppose it depends on where you go!

I have two XB6 shelters... and once I've managed to hoard enough naptha, I'll have zero...

a Sig Op said:
I have two XB6 shelters... and once I've managed to hoard enough naptha, I'll have zero...

PM me. We'll take them off your hands. As much as my Ops WO tries to fix and cajole it, our CP penthouse is a mess.

recceguy said:
PM me. We'll take them off your hands. As much as my Ops WO tries to fix and cajole it, our CP penthouse is a mess.

He's right.  The penthouse is the bane of my existence.  RG, I don't know about you, but I'm a hurt puppy this morning,  :coffee:  Mess dinner can be soooo much fun.

Have you USED a DRASH? Standing inside one doesn't count, I mean have you had to take care of transport and maintenance for one of the stupid things?

a Sig Op said:
Have you USED a DRASH? Standing inside one doesn't count, I mean have you had to take care of transport and maintenance for one of the stupid things?

We're willing to take that responsibility. And yes, I've used one.

Have you used it more then once? Really, these are absurd pieces of kit. If you find the penthouse difficult manage, you don't want a DRASH. I've set up single, double, and quad penthouses, and one crazy bastardized combination of 8 penthouses, and found them all easier to setup and manage then the DRASH series.

My major beef with it is that, given that we've got no HIAB equipped trucks in our unit, it's got to be man-handled in and out of it's transport, which requires a half dozen troops at least (I can handle a penthouse with three) which cuts the service life substantially. Repairing it is ridiculous, if one of the struts snaps near the door, it's a 10 minute fix, if it snaps in the centre somewhere, it's a several hour fix. Since the struts snap regularly, the garrison repair kit gets cleaned out rather quickly, and oh, look at this, there's no NSN on the repair parts, they've got to be bought out of the unit budget.

Also, don't believe the manufacturers claims it can be set up and torn down by 4 troops. That's under ideal circumstances. Say for example, you're in a flat grassy field, it's a lovely sunny day, and everyone sets up and tears the things down on a regular basis, AND you have a HIAB equipped truck to drop it off for you. Anything less then those circumstances, and you'll want double that number of troops. Not to mention the "simple" setup and tear down process suffers from skill fade rather rapidly (Which by the way, if you don't follow to the letter, causes more damage).

Actually, setting up, not hard. Not hard at all. It's packing the silly thing. Getting it to fit back into that bag is absolutely the bane of my existance. Don't even bother trying if it's been set up in snow or ice.

Finally, no, you can't have ours. Everyone who doesn't have to maintain or transport the damned thing loves it too much. The only way I'll be free is if it myteriously catches fire, is stolen by local hoodlums, or possibly rolls into the sea at high tide. (If local hoodlums would steal it, set it on fire, and roll it into the sea, that would be fantastic, till then, I'm stuck with it).

"Behold, DRASH!"
"DRASH!"
"DRASH!"

[Cue Musical montage]

"On second thought, let's not go to the DRASH, tis a silly place."

Not up to me. CoC is a fan of the silly things. They've even decided to buy the hard doors.

a Sig Op said:
Not up to me. CoC is a fan of the silly things. They've even decided to buy the hard doors.
Couldn't have just said so in the first place?

Spanky said:
Couldn't have just said so in the first place?

I assumed it was implied when I didn't offer it to you. I said I was interested in setting it on fire, not on trading it off.

Either way, I'm stuck with the thing. If the opportunity to trade it off ever pops up, I'll let you know.

Anyway, thanks for blowing smoke up our arseholes. Shoulda known you didn't have the authority to speak.

Back