• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Lt.-Gen. Jennie Carignan chosen as next chief of the defence staff

Having editing issues.

I just hope the CBC doesn't drown us with 'the first female to' anytime they mention her.

Is that story about Iraq actually true?
Enough of my colleagues who were stuck in Taji dealing with the fallout out of her decisions say so.

She's not held in high esteem by most of 3 Cdn Div. Some of the the unfortunate monikers I have heard are "the Cowardly Lion" and "Carpet Bagger."

Having met LGen Carignan briefly last year at one of her Town Halls, she already has the "party line" down pat; and will most likely use the larger soapbox to further the culture change portfolio more than any real readiness or operational competence priorities we sorely need to focus on.

Let's face it: this decision had long been made, dare I say, before she took the post at CPCC.

Last edited:
Several American GO’s I know have less than stellar reviews of her, personally and professionally from her time working with them.

I don’t understand someone who’s (allegedly) under investigation for several issues gets that post.

Congrats Canada.

Enough of my colleagues who were stuck in Taji dealing with the fallout out of her decisions say so.

She's not held in high esteem by most of 3 Cdn Div. Some of the the unfortunate monikers I have heard are "the Cowardly Lion" and "Carpet Bagger."

Having met LGen Carignan briefly last year at one of her Town Halls, she already has the "party line" down pat; and will most likely use the larger soapbox to further the culture change portfolio more than any real readiness or operational competence priorities we sorely need to focus on.

Let's face it: this decision had long been made, dare I say, before she took the post at CPCC.
I don’t completely disagree with you, but if she was in a town hall as Comd CPCC, it kind of makes sense that she would be focusing on a CPCC mindset. It would be weird otherwise.

I guess the real question is whether someone can/will change mindsets when changing roles.

I don’t completely disagree with you, but if she was in a town hall as Comd CPCC, it kind of makes sense that she would be focusing on a CPCC mindset. It would be weird otherwise.

I guess the real question is whether someone can/will change mindsets when changing roles.
I'll elaborate further.

After the Town Hall, some of us were asked to attend a working group with the General to offer our input and get a larger voice from the "coal face."

There were a large amount of points brought forward that were valid, but did not fit the narrative of CPCC change initiatives exactly. The General spent her response time in rebuttal and regurgitating her earlier talking points from the town hall.

It seems as though the whole effort was to ensure the Echochamber was in place, and when it was not found to be there, to double down and explain away legitimate dissent under the guise of "unconscious bias."

I am eager to have my assumptions challenged, but between that and the NMI fiasco; I anticipate a rough 3 years for the CAF with her at the helm.

Don't you put that evil on me Ricky Bobby.

Dont Put That Evil On Me Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I'll elaborate further.

After the Town Hall, some of us were asked to attend a working group with the General to offer our input and get a larger voice from the "coal face."

There were a large amount of points brought forward that were valid, but did not fit the narrative of CPCC change initiatives exactly. The General spent her response time in rebuttal and regurgitating her earlier talking points from the town hall.

It seems as though the whole effort was to ensure the Echochamber was in place, and when it was not found to be there, to double down and explain away legitimate dissent under the guise of "unconscious bias."

I am eager to have my assumptions challenged, but between that and the NMI fiasco; I anticipate a rough 3 years for the CAF with her at the helm.

Doubleplusgood ;)

80s 1980s GIF

Several American GO’s I know have less than stellar reviews of her, personally and professionally from her time working with them.

I don’t understand someone who’s (allegedly) under investigation for several issues gets that post.

Congrats Canada.
On the plus side, the VCDSs we keep getting seem to be quietly capable and good generally at keeping the CAF programme rolling along (within the labyrinth of bureaucracy and other handicaps).

Maybe time to give someone from the engineering or support trades branch a kick at CDS? If I can dumb a complex engineering issue down to a 7 year old level to brief an operator, and operator can simplify the strategic decisions that roll up to the CDS side down (which the 3 elements would have to do anyway to explain it to a CDS that doesn't have that background).

On the plus side, the VCDSs we keep getting seem to be quietly capable and good generally at keeping the CAF programme rolling along (within the labyrinth of bureaucracy and other handicaps).

Maybe time to give someone from the engineering or support trades branch a kick at CDS? If I can dumb a complex engineering issue down to a 7 year old level to brief an operator, and operator can simplify the strategic decisions that roll up to the CDS side down (which the 3 elements would have to do anyway to explain it to a CDS that doesn't have that background).
Are you on glue?

Did you just say that the current CDS, with a degree in Physics, multiple Masters degrees, and a piercing intellect, would need you to dumb down your micro-issue to the 7 year old level so he would understand it? How many times have you briefed him, other CsDS, or VsCDS in the last two decades your profile suggest that you have spent in the NCR?

Did you just say that the current CDS, with a degree in Physics, multiple Masters degrees, and a piercing intellect, would need you to dumb down your micro-issue to the 7 year old level so he would understand it? How many times have you briefed him, other CsDS, or VsCDS in the last two decades your profile suggest that you have spent in the NCR?

Is that you, Cathy Newman? How can you possibly have read that from his post?

I met her once. Admittedly, I did not speak to her long enough to form much of an opinion one way or the other. If the goal is to champion culture change directly from the top, then this is clearly a lead by example opportunity.

Back