• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Man Overboard just outside St.John's Harbour (HMCS TORONTO)

Navalsnpr

Inactive
Reaction score
Courtesey of http://www.vocm.com/cgi-win/vocm.exe/93938-Local

Man Overboard 1/16/05 (Nancy Murphy/Denis Mulloy)  
Some dicey moments for the frigate HMCS Toronto early Sunday afternoon. Search and Rescue in St. John's were notified around 1:30 that four people had gone overboard just outside the harbour entrance. The warship was preparing to enter the harbour and was transferring personnel to a skiff alongside when the incident happened. A fast rescue craft from the ship rescued the sailors from the water. One of the four crew was taken to hospital with bumps and bruises. All four spent between five and seven minutes in the frigid water. A fast rescue craft from the Coast Guard vessel Cape Roger also responded.  

Update courtesey of The Telegram

http://www.thetelegram.com/news.aspx?storyID=27937

Monday, January 17, 2005
Crew pulled from icy waters    
By BRIAN CALLAHAN, The Telegram

Four crew members from HMCS Toronto were pitched into the icy Atlantic Ocean outside St. John's harbour Sunday due to a mechanical malfunction on the Canadian navy frigate.
The four bobbed in the sea for 16 minutes before being hauled to safety by fellow crew members in two Zodiac rubber dinghies launched from the warship.

Three of the four emerged physically unscathed from the ordeal, while the fourth suffered a minor leg injury. He was treated by the physician's assistant aboard the HMCS Toronto and was transferred to hospital after docking in St. John's.

He was back aboard his ship three hours later.

The incident occurred at about 1:30 p.m. as the frigate was approaching The Narrows, about a quarter mile from the entrance to the harbour.

The four crew members were in a boat that was being lowered into the water from the frigate.

â Å“One of the cables used to lower it didn't release in the proper sequence,â ? Mike Bonin, a navy spokesman with Maritime Forces Atlantic in Halifax, told The Telegram Sunday night.

â Å“There was a mechanical malfunction.â ?

The bow of the boat suddenly jerked downward and into the water, causing it to capsize, and spilling all four crew members into the ocean.

Fortunately, and as is standard policy during such operations, they were all wearing survival suits.

â Å“Of course, they were very cold and wet, but there's no hypothermia or anything else of that nature,â ? said Bonin. â Å“So, they're all fine now, and are in the process of speaking to their next of kin to just reassure them that they are fine.â ?

Unlike the rubber Zodiacs and fast-rescue craft used by the navy and coast guard, the boat that capsized has a fibreglass hull with an inflatable buffer for docking.

It was recovered and brought to port where navy officials will examine it, as well as the rigging on its mother ship, as part of the investigation into the incident, said Bonin.

Such malfunctions are unpredictable, he noted, unlike the response of the crew.

â Å“There's at least two or three people who would supervise the lowering of that boat into the water. Someone would've witnessed the incident and brought the ship to emergency stations immediately.â ?

'Efficient response'

Two survival teams then suited up and launched two rescue boats to recover the crew members.

â Å“It was an efficient response and just shows the level of professionalism that these guys have on board the ship. These are things that they practise on a regular basis,â ? he said.

Bonin did not know why the ill-fated boat was being launched in the first place.

â Å“But I do know that HMCS Toronto's first stop was to be the refuelling jetty. Perhaps (the four) were on their way in to meet with the refuelling people as an advance team.

â Å“But I don't know that for sure. That's really only speculation.â ?

The ship's commanding officer, executive officer and two or three other navy officials will make up the investigation team.

Weather at the time of the incident was unusually co-operative given

the time of year, with clear skies,

light winds and relatively calm waters.

A coast guard rescue boat was sent to the scene immediately after operators received the distress call, but the crew members had already been rescued by the time it arrived.

â Å“Anytime someone goes into the water under these conditions, it is definitely a very anxious time for all of us,â ? added Bonin.

It's not clear how long the Toronto will be in port, or if the incident will affect its regular patrols of the Atlantic.

bcallahan@thetelegram.com

image.aspx

I hope that the 16 min was from the time they hit the water to when the zodiac was recovered by TORONTO. Sea Training Standard is 5 min. into the boat.
As for why they were launching at the narrows, they were likely going in as the berthing party.

Normally we send a berthing crew before the Narrows as St.John's isn't a wide harbour. St.John's harbour doesn't have any tugs available, so it makes sense to have ships staff ashore who know the ship when berthing her.

I agree that Sea Training standards indicate 5 minutes, but attempting the Williamson turn while in a narrow shipping lane would be impossible, thus a probable cause for the delay.

We wear floater suits for a reason!

I hope that the 16 min was from the time they hit the water to when the zodiac was recovered by TORONTO. Sea Training Standard is 5 min. into the boat.
As for why they were launching at the narrows, they were likely going in as the berthing party.

Question: wasn't the standard changed to "5 mins TO the boat" because too many Oscars were getting their heads ripped off?  I can't find my copy of the STG... ;)

Saw the message on why the RIB flipped. They were all very lucky

Havent seen the message yet, our server has been down. We have been waiting for it though. Will there be a TI? Do we have to get our cranes looked at?

Just found out a few days ago that one of the men that fell over board was one of my best friends. It was also his first time posted to a ship. What a welcome back to St. Johns for him  :eek: Glad to hear that there were no major injuries though and everyone made it out safe.

I heard through the grape vine, but don't quote me, that a couple of the guys that fell overboard were just OD's without their NETP completed.   If they had their NETP, maybe things would have been a little different.   If they were or wern't, do you guys agree that people can sail without their NETP aslong as they sign a waiver?

Sundborg said:
I heard through the grape vine, but don't quote me, that a couple of the guys that fell overboard were just OD's without their NETP completed.   If they had their NETP, maybe things would have been a little different.   Anyone else know?

Hummm....rumors hey ?  Why don't we just wait for actual facts ?

aesop081 said:
Hummm....rumors hey ?   Why don't we just wait for actual facts ?

The friend I heard if from was on the Toronto and should have been one of the guys that went over board apparently, but had to do something else; I don't know where else we would find out.

Sundborg said:
The friend I heard if from was on the Toronto and should have been one of the guys that went over board apparently, but had to do something else; I don't know where else we would find out.

I'm sure there will be some sort of investigation into this.  However , fair enough, The "grapevine" is what made me suspicious.......sorry.

In my experience, the "grapevine" has proven to be less than reliable.

Cheers

I'm not trying to say anything that might compramise the invesitigation, buy my friend was an NET (Leading Seaman) who was posted to ship for the first time. Why he was on that landing boat I have no idea, but he is defiintley the type of guy that was up for the challenge and ready to serve his country at the drop of a hat. Much respect to all that fight for our freedom everyday.  :cdn:

Whats the longest somebody could survive in cold water like that?

atticus said:
Whats the longest somebody could survive in cold water like that?

It depends.

The guys were all wearing floater suits, which would increase their ability to survive in the water.

Sea temperature, air temperature are two major factors that would contribute to the survival time.

I don't know much about the equipment they were wearing, but I know that when I surf in the winter I have no problem lasting two hours in 0-1 C water. Wetsuit technology has come along way in the past few years.

I heard through the grape vine, but don't quote me, that a couple of the guys that fell overboard were just OD's without their NETP completed.   If they had their NETP, maybe things would have been a little different.   If they were or wern't, do you guys agree that people can sail without their NETP aslong as they sign a waiver?

No.   Not correct.

A recent MARCORD (issued about Jun 2003) has made it mandatory for all persons serving aboard HMC Ships to have NETP first before going to sea.   Applications for exceptions to this rule must be made on a case-by-case basis by the ship to the appropriate Fleet Headquarters. typical exceptions involve cases where Sea King technicians or flight crews have returned to either 423 or 443 Sqn and have lots of previous seatime prior to the creation of the NETP course.   Even that is not a guarantee of success. The individual cannot just "waiver" themselves...

Cheers.

PS- Yay!   100 posts!

Back