• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MATA and PATA ( Parental Leave )

dapaterson said:
There was a CANFORGEN late last year. Short version: top up is still one year total MATA PATA combined,  but EI can be extended.

There are pension implications.
Thanks. Basically the CANFORGEN says, no change until the policies are updated. QR&O 16.27 still reads "(4) (Period of Leave) The period of parental leave is up to... a period of 37 weeks", and for Class A reserve members, QR&O 9.10 reads "(3) (Period of Exemption) The period of exemption from duty and training for parental purposes is up to... a period of 37 weeks"

I understand that EI can be extended, but you'd need to be on leave to get EI. Are members being allowed to take some other non-parental LWOP after their 37 weeks, to extend their leave up to 61 weeks? (I'm not concerned with allowances, just leave.)

In the LWOP table in the leave manual, the final item in the table includes leave for other purposes; if it's over 30 days, DGMC is the approving authority.

OK, in practice, is that how extended parental leave is currently being handled, using "leave for other purposes"?

dapaterson said:
That's my understanding.

"A commanding officer may defer the start date of the period of parental leave if there are military imperative requirements."

There's a 8 month course coming up. My wife is due in the middle of month 6. There is another course starting just after this one, but they want me on the first course. The first course will not be in the same city as where my wife resides, but the second course will. (i.e. if I go on the first course, I will very likely miss the birth, but if I go on the second course, I won't miss it).

If I tell my Career Manager to NOT load me on the upcoming course, but they do anyways, and then I go and request parental leave now, and my CO supports it, does that trump the CM? The leave manual and the QR&Os state that it is the CO's authority to both grant parental leave, and to enact the clause that allows them to defer parental leave due to military imperative requirements.

So, can my CO trump the CM? Can I request parental leave now, 6 months before I actually need it? My plan would be to take parental leave from the time of birth up to the start of the 2nd course (about 2 months).

If you know the due date then you can submit your parental form and leave pass anytime you want.  I had my staff member submit once she informed me she was pregnant and I always submitted mine well in advance. Some times I do up all my planned leave passes for the entire year right at the beginning so there is no question about it.

Good day folks,

Quick question for a SME or anybody with experience;

Can I release while on PATA, I have recently began PATA and a opportunity has arisen in which I would like to release for the 6 month timeline. The question is can I begin my release while on PATA, stay on PATA for 3 months and then work 3 months before I release.

Assistance on this matter would be fantastic. Thank you in advance.

Short answer - contact your mata/pata admin.

Yes it can be done but there may be implications that you need to consider and they should be able to cover for you. 

I have not been enrolled yet but my wife is pregnant with our first. I did some calculations but the timing would be a little tight.

It would be best if I can take pata during my time on PAT I'm wondering, would a regf member would be eligible to take pata leave during basic bmoq?

I would love to continue my process as a regf member but if not, I would be considering moving my application to pres.

Thanks for all your help.

Attie3 said:
I have not been enrolled yet but my wife is pregnant with our first. I did some calculations but the timing would be a little tight.

It would be best if I can take pata during my time on PAT I'm wondering, would a regf member would be eligible to take pata leave during basic bmoq?

I would love to continue my process as a regf member but if not, I would be considering moving my application to pres.

Thanks for all your help.
A Commanding Officer has the ability to defer the start date of parental leave if there are imperative military requirements.  In accordance with the Leave Policy Manual, the definition of imperative military requirements includes attending a career course, which BMOQ is.  So, no, you won't be pulled off of BMOQ to let you take PATA.

There is scope to delay the start of the start date of the PATA though, so if your wife gives birth while you are on BMOQ, it would be possible to take it while you were awaiting your next phase of training, if there was sufficient time.

Short: Does anyone know if the CO of a unit you are ATP'd to can approve PATA?

Long:
I was posted to unit A.
While posted to unit A, I submitted paperwork in early March requesting 5 weeks of PATA leave beginning in late July.
COVID-19 happened, and all non-critical admin work at unit A basically stopped. Since my PATA request was for a period of time not beginning for 4-5 months, it didn't really get looked at (and to be fair, I didn't really push for it, because I didn't think it was a priority either).
Fast forward a couple weeks to early April, COVID-19 caused all work for me at unit A to end, so they ATP'd be to unit B instead.
While ATP'd to unit B, I was officially posted to unit C, with a COS date now in the past.
However, unit C is currently on overseas deployment, and I won't be joining them until they get back. Thus I continue to work ATP'd to unit B.
I'm trying to get unit A to approve my PATA paperwork, because it would be a real headache to try and get unit C to do it.
If unit A says "no, you are not a member of our unit anymore, therefore not our problem", is there any chance unit B can approve it, since trying to get a CO/XO who don't know me to approve a PATA request while they are on overseas deployment seems like a real challenge.

Lumber said:
Short: Does anyone know if the CO of a unit you are ATP'd to can approve PATA?

Long:
I was posted to unit A.
While posted to unit A, I submitted paperwork in early March requesting 5 weeks of PATA leave beginning in late July.
COVID-19 happened, and all non-critical admin work at unit A basically stopped. Since my PATA request was for a period of time not beginning for 4-5 months, it didn't really get looked at (and to be fair, I didn't really push for it, because I didn't think it was a priority either).
Fast forward a couple weeks to early April, COVID-19 caused all work for me at unit A to end, so they ATP'd be to unit B instead.
While ATP'd to unit B, I was officially posted to unit C, with a COS date now in the past.
However, unit C is currently on overseas deployment, and I won't be joining them until they get back. Thus I continue to work ATP'd to unit B.
I'm trying to get unit A to approve my PATA paperwork, because it would be a real headache to try and get unit C to do it.
If unit A says "no, you are not a member of our unit anymore, therefore not our problem", is there any chance unit B can approve it, since trying to get a CO/XO who don't know me to approve a PATA request while they are on overseas deployment seems like a real challenge.
I would start with your COC at unit B, indicate that it was submitted at A and here is the previously submitted paperwork. I suspect you will need to resubmit, B and C should be talking to each other.

There's usually a dedicated MATA/PATA clerk at the URS supporting your unit - they may be able to assist as well.

Back