• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Memo for AVOT

chadk

Inactive
Reaction score
I am certainly not asking for someone to write my memo but I could use some help in wording of a memo to start my AVOT to Supply tec.  What should I start the memo off with? Any specific wording?  What type of information should you include in a memo that is for a AVOT?

Thank you

Brazenly stolen without credit from some other poster:

Quick and easy guide to writing any memo:

Para 1:  The Ask.  What result do you want from writing this memo?

Para 2: The History.  Background information (short and to the point) that provides the context for The Ask.

Para 3: The Logic.  Why The Ask makes sense.  Facts & figures that can demonstrate why The Ask is in everyone's best interests.

Para 4: The Emotion (optional).  This is where tugging at heartstrings comes in.

Para 5: The Ask, again.  "And so, in conclusion, I am requesting..." (or words to that effect.

STAR: situation task action result

Sheer brilliance and genius, I say ;)

http://army.ca/forums/threads/107071.0

thank you for the redirection to an already done post.  Definitely should use the search feature more.

dapaterson said:
Sheer brilliance and genius, I say ;)

http://army.ca/forums/threads/107071.0

Ain't going to lie, that has been put into emails, guides, templates, you name it. I just couldn't remember who did it.

Thanks DAA!

Shamrock said:
Ain't going to lie, that has been put into emails, guides, templates, you name it. I just couldn't remember who did it.

Thanks DAA!

I took it from a course I took at the School of the Public Service - the best afternoon of training I ever received.  (Just don't tell Sgt Korpan I said that...)

The problem with that format (at least what my fussy pants CoC had with it) is: you are not asking for a VOT, you are informing your CoC of Intent to apply for AVOT. Which in a way makes sense. You aren't asking them for one, you are telling them that you are starting the process.

Wrathwitch said:
The problem with that format (at least what my fussy pants CoC had with it) is: you are not asking for a VOT, you are informing your CoC of Intent to apply for AVOT. Which in a way makes sense. You aren't asking them for one, you are telling them that you are starting the process.

I've taken care of several AVOTs. Your chain of command has to write two recommendations. One from your Supervisor and one from your Commanding Officer.

If you want them to write nice, glowing recommendations, it behooves you to convince them that you are appropriate and deserving of the switch.

I wouldn't expect any supervisor or CO to intentionally stonewall you by writing a poor recommendation that you didn't deserve, but there is a difference between an "adequate" recommendation and a "glowing" recommendation.

My  :2c:

Back