• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Memorial in Point Pelee National Park

Michael OLeary

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
Today my wife and I visited Point Pelee National Park in southwestern Ontario. This monument caught my eye when I recognized the maple leaf motif, it is designed after the maple leaf used on soldier's gravestones who died in the First World War (and later conflicts). The monument is located in Point Pelee National Park near the entrance to the Marsh Boardwalk.

20100807_point_pelee_edits_10.jpg

20100807_point_pelee_edits_11.jpg

I'm very moved by random monuments such as this. Does this one have specific meaning?

read Regimental, Societal, etc.

I haven't been to the Point in a few years.  From the pictures this looks fairly new.  I'll have to check it out.  It has a great message however.

Hmm perhaps there are 3 more at the other most outwardly points of our nation?

Maelstrom said:

Very intelligent deduction.

Michael, was the monument on the southern tip?

Petamocto said:
Michael, was the monument on the southern tip?
Point Pelee National Park near the entrance to the Marsh Boardwalk
The Boardwalk entrance is 6 km north of the southernmost tip

....based on aboout 17 seconds with Google.
Go on, try it; type "map" "Point Pelee National Park" "Marsh Boardwalk."

Maelstrom said:

If there is one in Alert, it has been placed since 1998 - so anything is possible.

There are markers in Alert, albeit for those who have lost their lives at that location in various air crashes that have occured over the Station's history vice for "Canadians lost overseas". Each year, on November 11th, Rememberance Day services take place in front of the markers on the northern tip of the runway; it's bone chillingly cold, windy, desolate ... but absolutely worth it - every minute. It is one ceremony that will remain at the forefront of my mind.

I was in Alert in '99 and there was no plinth there of that type at the time.

LineJumper said:
I'm very moved by random monuments such as this. Does this one have specific meaning?

read Regimental, Societal, etc.

The lower plaque on the base of the monument (see the first photo) indicates that it was placed by a National level authority.

Edit to add:

I also posted the photos in the Canadian Expeditionary Study Group Forum, and this came from the discussion there:

Yes, this memorial is specific to our National Parks. I've seen it at Cape Breton Highlands (along the Cabot Trail, as mentioned above), in Banff, and near Wickanninnish on Long Beach in Pacific Rim National Park. It really underscores our deep appreciation of what our ancestors did for us, and gives us time to pause and think of them, and to focus on how lucky we are to live in such a beautiful, peaceful, and free country.

Journeyman said:
....based on aboout 17 seconds with Google.
Go on, try it; type "map" "Point Pelee National Park" "Marsh Boardwalk."

One must be careful how they use Google-Fu on this website.

I have witnessed a few people use it, post links from references they found, and then get belittled because all they do is use Google.

Petamocto said:

I have witnessed a few people use it, post links from references they found, and then get belittled because all they do is use Google.

::)

Depends on how one uses their Google Fu.  If one can find credible sources and articles they have done well.  If they don't find credible sources and articles, and don't know what they are talking about, then they will get the ridicule they may deserve.  One has to have some knowledge and ability to filter the information that they are presenting.  This is exactly what any university student has to do in researching and preparing a Paper.  This is what one would expect a "professional" to do in any credible presentation and/or discussion.  Simply, don't present garbage and you won't be ridiculed.  Be discriminatory in what you research and present. 

At the same time, we often shake our heads when questions are asked and the simple solution would have been to JFGI before asking the question. 

Petamocto said:

Not that it has anything to do with this topic, but that would be because some people get in the habit of posting Google links as the majority of their contribution, and do not exercise any diligence to ensuring that useful connections between the discussions and their posted links.

Michael O'Leary said:
I also posted the photos in the Canadian Expeditionary Study Group Forum, and this came from the discussion there:

Nice find Michael. It'd be wonderful if site-users in the area of the other monuments were able to obtain some pics of the others and post them up for us.

I imagine that these are all a "generic" monument and will all be identical in size and shape.

George Wallace said:
I imagine that these are all a "generic" monument and will all be identical in size and shape.

I'm sure you are probably correct. I was thinking more along the lines of setting. Rock, snow, trees ... accross this great land of ours.

It may have been a Parks Canada, or their bosses at Heritage Canada, initiative. 

In trying to ascertain the origin or author of the inscription on the monument pictured in the OP, found this site of another (?) war memorial in Point Pelee National Park bearing the same inscription.

Edited to add

And this photo of the similar monument on the Cabot Trail.  Click on photo to link to larger size.

Sort of a "bucket list" goal of mine to visit every Canadian military memorial in the world.. When I go in to KAF, I will try to get some pictures of the one there, and for my HLTA I am going to Korea, so will get some of the one in Gapyeong.. On that note, is there anywhere anyone knows of to find a complete list of them?

Memorials to Canadians' Achievements & Sacrifices
http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=memorials

This is a guide to the memorials erected for Canadians throughout the world. Since Confederation, Canadians have served around the world in military actions for the cause of peace and freedom. More than 116,000 gave their lives in the wars of the past century and their final resting-places are located in some seventy-five countries.

Back