• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Met Tech Info?

Why so many in Gagetown? Is it due to the artillery school?
We restructured the trade back in the middle of Afghanistan, and built a single world wide briefing/deployment centre...

The idea was to have one base that would support all deployed ops, while also doing most of the routine domestic support. It meant we could pool our fit people in one place, for ease of use, and still provide support to other bases that were brought down to near minimum staffing. From 2009-2011 it worked very well.... When the combat mission ended, and the need for Met Techs overseas went back to normal, we ended up with a massively overstaffed office in Gagetown, and critically understaffed offices elsewhere.

This is where it gets fun...

We now lose people from the JMC(Gagetown) because they are bored of sitting around, or tired of doing all of the CFTPO taskings(Alert, exercises, etc.), and we lose people from the other bases because they are tired of missing out on deployments and taskings... Gagetown is a massive Afghanistan era Albatross hanging around the Met Trade's neck, and we can't do anything about it. The empire in Gagetown has been built, there is now an Int LCol position tied to the unit as CO, so we are stuck with it.

If I was king of the Int branch for one day the first thing I'd do is smash the JMC to pieces, go back to properly staffing the other units, and assign pers to tasks as individual unit's staffing allowed. It would likely do more to save the trade from it's current decline than any re-singing bonuses, or recruiting videos.

I am an Environmental Applied Science Technology graduate and I have a year of BioScience Technology under my belt. I have applied for the military this week and I am in the process of recruitment. I understand that being a Meteorological Technician is in demand. I have a few questions regarding this trade if you have the time to answer them.

1) In the process of training, I understand that you go through basic in Quebec then you get your environment training (air, land, sea), then you go for your trade training, is this true? Where is the location for the environment training?

2) My first choice is the Air Force, what is the likelihood that I will be able to pursue it?

3) I have a deep desire to live in both Manitoba and B.C. short term, what is the likely hood of being in B.C.? Could you please explain to me the 4 locations and the type of training you receive? and for how long. I read that the program in Manitoba is around 5.4 months, then you go to Gagetown, then you go to Esquimalt, is this true? Also, where does Halifax fall?

4) Where are MET's located on a base? Do you have your own building, who do you associate with? Where would you be located on an air force base? Where would you be located on a land and navy base? Do you go to a food hall to eat?

5) What is the shift work like? I am a bit of an introvert, is it true that you work the majority of shifts alone? Can you read?

6) Can you get married while in the military? and does the CAF accommodate for military couples (both in military) for placement?

Thank you very much for your time,

I am an Environmental Applied Science Technology graduate and I have a year of BioScience Technology under my belt. I have applied for the military this week and I am in the process of recruitment. I understand that being a Meteorological Technician is in demand. I have a few questions regarding this trade if you have the time to answer them.

1) In the process of training, I understand that you go through basic in Quebec then you get your environment training (air, land, sea), then you go for your trade training, is this true? Where is the location for the environment training?

2) My first choice is the Air Force, what is the likelihood that I will be able to pursue it?

3) I have a deep desire to live in both Manitoba and B.C. short term, what is the likely hood of being in B.C.? Could you please explain to me the 4 locations and the type of training you receive? and for how long. I read that the program in Manitoba is around 5.4 months, then you go to Gagetown, then you go to Esquimalt, is this true? Also, where does Halifax fall?

4) Where are MET's located on a base? Do you have your own building, who do you associate with? Where would you be located on an air force base? Where would you be located on a land and navy base? Do you go to a food hall to eat?

5) What is the shift work like? I am a bit of an introvert, is it true that you work the majority of shifts alone? Can you read?

6) Can you get married while in the military? and does the CAF accommodate for military couples (both in military) for placement?

Thank you very much for your time,
Thanks for your interest, I will attempt to answer your questions as best I can. I have been in for ~21 years, so some of my experiences may be out of date.

1) You are correct, basic military training is conducted in St. Jean, Quebec. It's about an hour outside of Montreal, an in the course of your training you will have opportunity to travel to Montreal to experience Montreal. Environmental training is a bit more complicated than just uniform selection. As a Met Tech you ill go to Gagetown, NB to await trade training in Winnipeg. If after basic occupational training you are selected for environmental training, it will be assigned at your unit. Not all RCN Met Techs sail, and not all RCAF Met Techs go to an air wing.

2) As a Met Tech, you will be sent where you are needed. I have been RCAF for 21 years, I have spent more time working for the army, and navy than I have spent with the RCAF. There is o such thing as an "air force" Met Tech. We serve where required, as required. That said, the navy is the best place to work in the CAF. Sailing sucks, but you're doing it with 250 of your best friends.

3) You go where you're posted. I'd live in Uculet, or Port Renfrew if I had any say, but I don't...

There is a chance to be posted to Victoria, but there is a much greater chance to be posted to somewhere else. Postings are based on job openings, and family situation. I'll be blunt, joining single, you're at the bottom of the pile. If you have a family you move up a notch, but it's no guarantee of a posting you want.

From experience, sometimes the places you least want to be, are the places that make you a better leader.

4) Met Techs are employed under different conditions based on where they are posted. In Gagetown, it's a massive unit of Met Techs, so you have a big group of like minded people to be friends with. On a ship, there are two of you, so you need to know how to make friends outside of work. On an air base the met section is alone, though some bases are good about making them feel welcome.

5) Most Met Techs work alone outside of the JMC in Gagetown. If you enjoy working alone, getting out of the JMC is in your best interests. Shifts range from 8-12 hours, and often the Met Tech is alone for the entire shift.

6) Do what you want, so long as there is no inappropriate interpersonal relationship between supervisor and staff.

If you have more questions feel free to ask, I may not have the best answers, but I will always try to answer.

Thanks for your interest, I will attempt to answer your questions as best I can. I have been in for ~21 years, so some of my experiences may be out of date.

1) You are correct, basic military training is conducted in St. Jean, Quebec. It's about an hour outside of Montreal, an in the course of your training you will have opportunity to travel to Montreal to experience Montreal. Environmental training is a bit more complicated than just uniform selection. As a Met Tech you ill go to Gagetown, NB to await trade training in Winnipeg. If after basic occupational training you are selected for environmental training, it will be assigned at your unit. Not all RCN Met Techs sail, and not all RCAF Met Techs go to an air wing.

2) As a Met Tech, you will be sent where you are needed. I have been RCAF for 21 years, I have spent more time working for the army, and navy than I have spent with the RCAF. There is o such thing as an "air force" Met Tech. We serve where required, as required. That said, the navy is the best place to work in the CAF. Sailing sucks, but you're doing it with 250 of your best friends.

3) You go where you're posted. I'd live in Uculet, or Port Renfrew if I had any say, but I don't...

There is a chance to be posted to Victoria, but there is a much greater chance to be posted to somewhere else. Postings are based on job openings, and family situation. I'll be blunt, joining single, you're at the bottom of the pile. If you have a family you move up a notch, but it's no guarantee of a posting you want.

From experience, sometimes the places you least want to be, are the places that make you a better leader.

4) Met Techs are employed under different conditions based on where they are posted. In Gagetown, it's a massive unit of Met Techs, so you have a big group of like minded people to be friends with. On a ship, there are two of you, so you need to know how to make friends outside of work. On an air base the met section is alone, though some bases are good about making them feel welcome.

5) Most Met Techs work alone outside of the JMC in Gagetown. If you enjoy working alone, getting out of the JMC is in your best interests. Shifts range from 8-12 hours, and often the Met Tech is alone for the entire shift.

6) Do what you want, so long as there is no inappropriate interpersonal relationship between supervisor and staff.

If you have more questions feel free to ask, I may not have the best answers, but I will always try to answer.

Hi,

Everything about the Met Tech program is promising but the army aspect. I am dead set on working for the air force. I don't think I would be able to make it through the Basic Training II, I really don't want to be in the army...

I have been weighing my options, I am qualified to work as an environmental Technician, in fact, my old teacher (who I am still in contact with), wrote the curriculum and used to teach in Gagetown. The content is very close to what I learned in College.

Do you have any suggestions for what I should pick if I want to be on an air base? I was considering fire fighting as I have my confined space training and rescue entry from the fireschool (from the College). I would like to be strictly on an air base.

Thanks for your very thorough response.

Alicia.

I don't think I would be able to make it through the Basic Training II, I really don't want to be in the army...
Just so you know everyone does the same basic training. So it does not matter if you are going Air Force, Army, or Navy you will be taught the same stuff and do the course together. Then after basic training you will do your specific trade training.

Hi,

Everything about the Met Tech program is promising but the army aspect. I am dead set on working for the air force. I don't think I would be able to make it through the Basic Training II, I really don't want to be in the army...

I have been weighing my options, I am qualified to work as an environmental Technician, in fact, my old teacher (who I am still in contact with), wrote the curriculum and used to teach in Gagetown. The content is very close to what I learned in College.

Do you have any suggestions for what I should pick if I want to be on an air base? I was considering fire fighting as I have my confined space training and rescue entry from the fireschool (from the College). I would like to be strictly on an air base.

Thanks for your very thorough response.

Alicia.
Based on your aversion to the army, you'd be better served by going into a "hard" RCAF trade like aircraft maintainer, or air traffic control. That said, there is no guarantee that you won't be sent to a Tactical Helicopter Squadron, which deploys to the field for exercises, and operations.

What is your objection to the army? Knowing why you don't want to be army would help with suggestions.

Right now I am weighing my options. I would prefer the airforce over the army because people around me say it is a better option.

Although I am interesting in being a Meteorological Technician, I have been looking into NCMSTEP program as well for Medical Laboratory Technician. It is more up my ally and I would be a Biochemistry Technician and Microbiology Technician coming out + I always wanted to live in BC for a short period of time.

I believe what happens is you apply for both the military and the college. You are sent to basic training, and then the college, then after the 10 months (???) you are sent to training for a year.

Here are links for the program I am looking into, do you know anything about NCMSTEP or this program? I understand your field of study is Met Tech and I apologize in advance.

Page 15, under College of New Caledonia Prince George (0 months?)

and

Page 36, under 'BC- Medical Laboratory Technology Sciences - College of Caledonia - Prince George (10 months?)

as well as

Page 6, under ' Medical Laboratory Technologist - BC - Medical Laboratory Technology Sciences - College of Caledonia - 0 months?

Thank you.

Right now I am weighing my options. I would prefer the airforce over the army because people around me say it is a better option.

Although I am interesting in being a Meteorological Technician, I have been looking into NCMSTEP program as well for Medical Laboratory Technician. It is more up my ally and I would be a Biochemistry Technician and Microbiology Technician coming out + I always wanted to live in BC for a short period of time.

I believe what happens is you apply for both the military and the college. You are sent to basic training, and then the college, then after the 10 months (???) you are sent to training for a year.

Here are links for the program I am looking into, do you know anything about NCMSTEP or this program? I understand your field of study is Met Tech and I apologize in advance.

Page 15, under College of New Caledonia Prince George (0 months?)

and

Page 36, under 'BC- Medical Laboratory Technology Sciences - College of Caledonia - Prince George (10 months?)

as well as

Page 6, under ' Medical Laboratory Technologist - BC - Medical Laboratory Technology Sciences - College of Caledonia - 0 months?

Thank you.
Without knowing the people around you, all I can comment on is my experiences. The most impactful seven months of my life were spent with the army, in an arid land far from Canada. It wasn't always pleasant, but it did more to make me grow into a better human than the previous four years on an air base.

I won't push the issue, but as I stated in my first reply, sometimes the best experiences come from the places we least want to go.

I know roughly what STEP is, but I'm not familiar with how it works. A recruiter would be a better source of info on that, though always remember that the recruiter is just a person posted to a recruiting centre, they aren't experts in all trades.

I don't want to scare you away from Met Tech if you think it would be a good job, I just want people to make an informed decision. It serves neither the CAF, nor the member if they join a trade that isn't as advertised in the brochure.

So I spoke with a recruitment officer today. He said that there were 3 places for NCMSTEP and 1 position left. I thought to myself that it was too big of a gamble and that I would like to be secure. So even though a Medical Laboratory Technician would be my favourite, I have to accept that it is never going to happen.

There is currently a halt on the testing process due to the number of rising cases in Canada. I chose Meteorological Technician, Water, Fuels and Environmental Technician, and Imagery (meh). Currently Meteorological Technician is in demand.

Just waiting to be tested in person, could takes months o_O :unsure:

So I spoke with a recruitment officer today. He said that there were 3 places for NCMSTEP and 1 position left. I thought to myself that it was too big of a gamble and that I would like to be secure. So even though a Medical Laboratory Technician would be my favourite, I have to accept that it is never going to happen.

There is currently a halt on the testing process due to the number of rising cases in Canada. I chose Meteorological Technician, Water, Fuels and Environmental Technician, and Imagery (meh). Currently Meteorological Technician is in demand.

Just waiting to be tested in person, could takes months o_O :unsure:
Good luck, those are fine trades! The waiting period can be long but don't lose hope. Your file is being worked on and as youll find in the CAF , things can take time, have patience.

Hi,

I posted in this forum in January and wanted to give you an update. I have been selected as a MedLabTech and not a MedTech. I was confused when I first entered the forum as the names sounded so similar.

It turns out that you can do NCM-STEP for the MedLabTech trade but they only select one person in Canada every year for the position. I am pretty happy with myself and I am excited to move forward.

I will be going to B.C. for 2.5 years (2 years at a college and .5 a year in any place I want in B.C. with a hospital for practicums). After the 2.5 years I will be sent to Borden, Ontario for 1 year to complete a preceptorship. If I do well in Borden, I can chose any place in Canada to be located for 4 years (or so they say). I should be receiving my offer this week with the date of BMQ. They are telling me it should the end of September.

Thanks for the help :salute:

Back