• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Mexico to end Oil Exports from 2023

Ah yes, let's convert everything to natural gas, then we need more LNG......by pipeline...oh wait....

So long as Canadian governments do not view natural resources as strategic assets we will continue to shoot our selves in the foot.
When i started my job reviewing projects, I reviewed a project in Kitimat to import LNG as we were destined to run out in 10 years. Within 5 years thanks to fracking we realized we had 70 years of exportable supply onto top of projected domestic needs (This is part of a NEB export licence, any export cannot come at the expense of domestic needs)

When i started my job reviewing projects, I reviewed a project in Kitimat to import LNG as we were destined to run out in 10 years. Within 5 years thanks to fracking we realized we had 70 years of exportable supply onto top of projected domestic needs (This is part of a NEB export licence, any export cannot come at the expense of domestic needs)
I feel like we need some kind of mega engineering project like you see in Europe. Massive tunnel through the rockies for vehicle, rail and pipeline traffic. Minimal environmental impact, long time to build but could also shorten travel time and improve safety

I feel like we need some kind of mega engineering project like you see in Europe. Massive tunnel through the rockies for vehicle, rail and pipeline traffic. Minimal environmental impact, long time to build but could also shorten travel time and improve safety
I think you are going to see that, mainly because all the mega projects are drying up/finishing up, once Site C and LNGCanada are finished, that's it for mega projects out here. The unions are going to push for infrastructure projects.

I think you are going to see that, mainly because all the mega projects are drying up/finishing up, once Site C and LNGCanada are finished, that's it for mega projects out here. The unions are going to push for infrastructure projects.
Well if you tunneled from K country to Golden for example, you would by pass the most dangerous stretch of highway in Canada, and cut the travel time by over an hour. The crowsnest pass would also be a prime candidate for such a tunnel system.

We can only weep at the lack of imagination and determination
It’s apparently too mind-bogglingly difficult to twin up a pipeline that’s been operating safely for half a century. Canada (because it’s the citizens who elect their government, are along in it with our virtualistic, myopic government) that deserves scorn.

It’s apparently too mind-bogglingly difficult to twin up a pipeline that’s been operating safely for half a century. Canada (because it’s the citizens who elect their government, are along in it with our virtualistic, myopic government) that deserves scorn.
Amen. Very well said.

The media deserves the most intense scorn, scrutiny, and some form of regulation (in my own opinion) as they play a huge role in turning a small issue into a major issue. (Or creating issues where there were none.)

The mainstream media and whatever side they take, or agenda they pursue, play a huge role.

And agreed, Canadians need to smarten up in a lot of ways. Until that happens - our government leaders will continue to casually waltz their way from one bad call to another,

To me, it has genuinely seemed like our current government looks for ways to reduce it’s own income.

If they hadn’t said anything about the pipeline project in the first place, everything would be a whole lot further ahead.

Twinning an already existing pipeline to enhance safety & ensure the continued movement of goods if that pipeline has to be shut down for safety/environmental reasons is just practical, and doesn’t require 20 announcements.

Just twin the already existing pipeline, and say it is to ensure environmental safety if the existing pipeline has a spill/leak.

(Does it make sense? I don’t know, probably. Does what the government says have to make any sense? Not one bit.)

There are dozens of big infrastructure projects on the go throughout the country that don’t get any real media attention. This should have been one of them.

Total thread detour… not intentionally. If this turns into a topic of it’s own, I apologize beforehand.

Canadians need to elect better governments. And Canadian politicians need fo stop striving to be average.

That being said… just how much of a say do Canadians have in who gets elected? Sure, they have some say.

But given the way our election system is set up, it is entirely possible for one party to get more votes than another, and yet the other party gets in.

I think a majority of Canadians are very much in support of industry projects like this. It’s dummy & co who can’t stop preaching on our behalf, that seem to think a lack of jobs/infrastructure/money is somehow what we want.

Until it substantively impacts Canadians in their pocket, the de facto majority are content to let the virtually-signaling focused low productivity of the nation continue. I bet B.C.ers could be paying $3.00/L and they’d still influence the Govt with pushback against more pipelines. Frankly, Alberta should just arbitrarily raise the price of petroleum to B.C. ‘because’…if they’re going to get screwed by BC and the Feds, they might as well make a bit more for their provincial coffers. On the other side, Quebec could probably have another railway fire disaster and they’d still complain against an Eastern pipeline. A big issue overall, is the self-centered nature of people in general, and the effect of that on larger societal segments (cities, provinces, regions). So long as it’s NIMBY people seem okay with others being disadvantaged. Not Canada’s finest hour…

A good portion of BC wants the pipelines, but not the Lower mainland which is where the votes are.

It's crazy how our system works. We equate validity with population...
Checks and balances are not as established as countries with a portion of government that is not population-based, such as US Senate. If Canada had a senate that had equal numbers of senators for each province, and even territories, we might have a greater sense of fairness across the nation.

Checks and balances are not as established as countries with a portion of government that is not population-based, such as US Senate. If Canada had a senate that had equal numbers of senators for each province, and even territories, we might have a greater sense of fairness across the nation.
Which is why the population rich States hate the Electoral College, but without it, I suspect the US would have broken up by now.

A good portion of BC wants the pipelines, but not the Lower mainland which is where the votes are.
And not the first nations or the money behind them. It is too easy to throttle initiative in this country. You simply smother it in court actions and protest actions because those are your rights.

A lot of First Nations want resource work, on their terms and their people getting a slice of the pie. Most reserves are well connected to the world now and the young people want jobs and this has caught out a lot of the leadership that grew up on the rights and title fight and are not well prepared for push for economic opportunities from their own. Some bands are better than others at this. Most complaints are opening shots in negotiations that take part behind closed doors, that never make it to print. A lot of the bands are fed up with the protesters and will run them off if they show up.

Back