• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Funeral

Booya McNasty

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right forum for the question, sorry mods if it's not, I'm new to these boards.

I'm sure people have all seen the pics of Lt(N) Saunders' funeral.  If not, here's a link to a pic from the Post:

http://a123.g.akamai.net/f/123/12465/1d/media.canada.com/cp/national/20041013/n101367a.jpg

My question is:  Why are Officers carrying the coffin?

Isn't that the job for Senior NCO's?  Coffin carrying has been a job for Senior NCOs since we were british.  Even the Queen Mother had her coffin carried by Senior NCOs.

I guess another question is should those officers be wearing white belts?

Anybody have any ideas?

http://www.dnd.ca/admfincs/subjects/cfao/024-05_e.asp

That's the CFAO regarding the subject, yes it is a job for NCMs, however I'm sure there's some leniency especially at the request of the next of kin.

As for the white belts, anyone can wear them, you wear them on BOTC grad parade as well as other parades. I'm pretty sure it's up to the parade commander what the dress is. Someone else may be able to add more info, but I can say for sure that I've worn one and have seen other officers wearing them before.

Cheers

If it is an officer that is a casualty the officers carry the casket. Likewise for SnNco's, other SnNco's carry the casket, same with Jr's. The soldiers are dress properly as this dress is the ceremonial dress for the Navy (maybe other non regimented reg force units too).

Hope it helps!

Is that the case for retired officers?  I ask because in Drvar 2000 I had to carry the casket of an retired officer who died in Croatia.

I'm going to have to look in the 201, but the last time I checked, IIRC, Sgts carry Lts & Capt. Maj are carried by WOs.

rounder said:
If it is an officer that is a casualty the officers carry the casket. Likewise for SnNco's, other SnNco's carry the casket, same with Jr's. The soldiers are dress properly as this dress is the ceremonial dress for the Navy (maybe other non regimented reg force units too).

Hope it helps!

Why don't you have a read of the CFAO I posted, it states specifically that NCMs are always pallbearers. Officers don't carry officers, if officers were pallbearers, it's probably a special request by the NOK or the members. Even the CDS is carried by 8 CWOs, not other Generals.

On one hand:
Drill and Cerimonial pub lays out that a Capt/Lt(N) is carried by 8 Jr/Sr NCO's commanded by WO.

On the other:
Drill and Cerimonial states that the wishes of the next of kin will always be respect when possible.  Perhaps the NOK asked for members of his mess to act as pall bearers.

We don't know why the decision to use officers was made, we probably won't know unless a person involved in the organization of the funeral comes forward and posts, and overall it doesn't really matter who carried the coffin as long as the family were comforted.

The funeral was conducted well and as per tradition, well done to all involved.

CFP 201 reads that all bearer parties should be Sn Nco's & WO's. However, and I don't understand this part. Check table 11-1 and there seems to be some conflict between items 6 & 8. This was obviously an honourary pallbearer party.

Back