• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Military Swim Test - When, Where, and How- Merged

mustanglx88 said:
I'm thinking of joining the Canadian Forces in the near future, but there's something that's concerning me. I'm not a great swimmer; could this prevent me of attending the Leadership and recruit school in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu?

Thank you

If swimming is your main concern, check out the requirements.  You only need to swim about 20m laps, and strud water for about 3 minutes. Shouldn't be much of an issue. Practice at a local pool and you should be good to go in no time.

You also don't need to pass the swim test to pass. There was a few of us on my course who didn't. I could probably do the swimming ok, but I couldn't manage to somersault into the water! More practice required!

In your defense I'm sure you came across this problem right?

Due to high stress on the server, the search function has been automatically and temporarily disabled. Please try again in a short while.

Have you considered learning to swim? 

There is a swim test during BMQ,  I don't think you need to pass it but you must attempt it.

Depending on your trade and future courses you may be required to do the swim test as well.

Here is a thread regarding the swim test,  have a read through it
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/17795.0

*edit*  I just noticed you made two threads here asking that question,  as well as posting the question in another thread.  You don't need to ask the same question multiple times. 

I don't know how to swim either. I took lessons and spent way too much money on sinking.

No fear, you just have to jump in the pool and try it. During the swimming PT and other water training, they will either give you remedial swimming training (which I had to do, still can't swim  ;D) or they will have you do other training (not sure how this goes, I haven't heard of other arrangements).

I was a triathlete at the time of my BMOQ, and failed the test since I touched the side of the pool 1m from the exit point to allow for someone to get out ahead of me.

Remedial Swim class was fun though.

LEARN to swim, you do the swim test in your uniform(top/btm) and it's not hard but not easy.

Maybe if you do join the Navy it will be motivation not to sink.

My unit did adventure training of sorts last fall.  A day of Kayaking.  One individual couldnt do one length of the pool at the final stage of the swim test and wasnt allowed to attend kayaking.  His loss.

Learn to swim.  Or at least float in one direction....Not DOWN!.

Hi,

I've been selected for ROTP Pilot. Going to BMOQ July 13th, RMCC after that.

I've never really swam in my life. I've started training already but I'm just wondering if they will help train me to swim to standard at St. Jean or do they expect all candidates to know how to swim upon arrival.

Thanks.

My platoon had 2 pool sessions while at St Jean. One was the swim test, which if you fail is not a big deal, you can retake it later if you'd like. If you are a weak swimmer, just identify yourself to the staff and they will ensure you are supervised accordingly. You are not expected to know how to swim upon arrival. They go over stroke technique, but literally, it is a 15min crash course.  :)

Cheers

I can manage a bastardized and spastic dog (or some form of mammalian lifeform)-paddle at best, yet earned my Wings in 1982.

Don't crash into water.

Maybe a good idea to take a swimming course before BMOQ.  Methinks it's a good idea for a pilot to know how to tread water and/or swim. If you ever have to eject lots of bodies of water. Pilots even managed to find the very few lakes and/ or sloughs to bail into near Moose Jaw over the years.

RocketRichard said:
Maybe a good idea to take a swimming course before BMOQ.  Methinks it's a good idea for a pilot to know how to tread water and/or swim. If you ever have to eject lots of bodies of water. Pilots even managed to find the very few lakes and/ or sloughs to bail into near Moose Jaw over the years.

Not necessarily. A friend of mine can't swim to save his life... he's been a Sonar Operator for the RCN for 5 years now.

Thank you everyone for your replies and thank you Mariomike for the link. It was very helpful.

I'll take swimming lessons for sure before BMOQ. There is no reason no to.

Thanks again!

Back