• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Minor Accident...

holieee

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm currently in the application process. I just had my cfat, medical, and interview last Thursday and did incredibly well, but currently awaiting a medical form to be processed... Anyway, I'm not exactly sure if my background checks would be done at this point but I'm a little paranoid as I'm not sure if they check your driving record...
I may be over-thinking this; but on Monday I slid into a snow bank and have to make an insurance claim which will cost me 2 of my 4 merits on my driver's license and unfortunately scuff my clean driving history. This might be a silly question, but I would like some peace of mind before I go ahead and make my claim; but will this effect me getting past the background checks in ANY way  (assuming they're not completed yet)?
Better yet, do they even look at driving history other than legal obligations, unpaid tickets, and charges?
Forgive my ignorance; any information is much appreciated :)

(I should add that, for dental tech, I have to take a driver wheel course, hence why I'm concerned this might affect this process)

The CF is not going to care about you sliding your car into a snowbank.

Accidents happen.

Stop worrying yourself.

Sizzle said:
The CF is not going to care about you sliding your car into a snowbank.

Accidents happen.

Stop worrying yourself.

That's all I needed. Haha.
Thanks!

No, they don't care about minor traffic offences, as long as they're summary offence tickets.  If you start venturing into more serious territory like careless/reckless driving, DUI, etc., where imprisonment is a possible consequence, then the "unresolved legal obligations" kicks in and you'd have to wait.

That said, I'm not familiar with the demerit systems outside of ON and NS...where you get demerit points for doing something wrong, but not for "accidents".  What did you get the demerit points for?

Occam said:
No, they don't care about minor traffic offences, as long as they're summary offence tickets.  If you start venturing into more serious territory like careless/reckless driving, DUI, etc., where imprisonment is a possible consequence, then the "unresolved legal obligations" kicks in and you'd have to wait.

That said, I'm not familiar with the demerit systems outside of ON and NS...where you get demerit points for doing something wrong, but not for "accidents".  What did you get the demerit points for?

Any 'at-fault' claim gets you demerits on your license with manitoba public insurance.... they're kind of really strict about people being careless, no matter what the circumstance.

holieee said:
Any 'at-fault' claim gets you demerits on your license with manitoba public insurance.... they're kind of really strict about people being careless, no matter what the circumstance.

Cars are more dangerous than guns; the difference is that everybody has one.  I, for one, have no problem with them being really strict about carelessness while driving, to any extent and in any circumstance.

jwtg said:
Cars are more dangerous than guns; the difference is that everybody has one.  I, for one, have no problem with them being really strict about carelessness while driving, to any extent and in any circumstance.

Oh, didn't want to get sticky with the details... It wasn't until recently that MPI implemented demerits for hitting inanimate objects (2 demerits seems unfair for just running over a 2 foot snow bank in comparison to someone, say, going over a median and hitting a light standard, but who am I to argue?) I certainly am going to face the consequences of my 'slippery' situation with full responsibility, it doesn't bother me too bad....minus the bruised ego. I just meant in comparison to other provinces' merit system that they may be more strict with issuing them under certain circumstances.

Did you receive a traffic ticket from the accident?
These demerit points seem like an administrative penalty (insurance) & not a penalty for a conviction of a driving law or criminal law.
If no conviction is noted than it should not be a problem.
Even with a conviction charges of this type unless numerous would not likely be a problem (driving law not criminal law).

Back