• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MMIST CQ-10A SnowGoose Why doesn't the CF have this?

Instead of you asking why we don't have it, perhaps you can tell us why we need it.

Can the budget support it?

Can we afford to take people away from their jobs to train and deploy with it?

Given it's stated uses, how do you see it being used and operated in a Battle Group situation?

How does it compare with other transportation we have and use, payload, maintenance and personnel wise?

Lastly, if it's being built at two a month for the US, can we even get an order in?

Answer these, and you MIGHT know why we don't have them.

Wind Supported Aerial Delivery System (WSADS) for aerial delivery of leaflets. The air launched WSADS offers precise delivery of leaflets and reduced risk to aircrew and transport aircraft.

Good lord!  WTF?

geo said:
Wind Supported Aerial Delivery System (WSADS) for aerial delivery of leaflets. The air launched WSADS offers precise delivery of leaflets and reduced risk to aircrew and transport aircraft.

Good lord!   WTF?

Something hilarious about the bolded part to me. I guess we can deliver them right down people's chimneys now  ::)

We need it because the Manley commission said we need more UAVs and the Government of Canada supported that need so in theory they should provide the money to back this up.  You can launch this from the hood of a G-wagen-pretty easy.  It is certainly cheaper to fly than the Herc.  Its autonomous-meaning you can program it to fly and it will do the rest-don't need a lot of crew.  Along with pamphlets it can drop other stuff that might be helpful to an isolated FOB or to a platoon in a firefight (i.e. ammo, medicine, water) 600 pounds worth.  It's cheaper in terms of life and damage done to the CF when faced with convoy attack whilst delivery supplies.  It is also quicker than resupplying by ground as it does not need to fly as cautiously as forces on the ground drive.  This vehicle can also conduct recce.  Just my 2 cents. 

Do you realize how little 600lbs is when you start talking ammo and water?

We need it because the Manley commission said we need more UAVs and the Government of Canada supported that need so in theory they should provide the money to back this up.  You can launch this from the hood of a G-wagen-pretty easy. 

Would you buy an exercise machine simply because it folds neatly under the bed? Of course not. It's no good to you unless it does the job you need it to.

Just because we need more UAVs does not mean we need this UAV.  Not all UAVs have the same role and not all are created equal.  Something that drops leaflets will fill a niche, but I think something that drops Hellfire missiles will have a bigger impact on the Taliban.

This SnowGoose UAV seems very limited in capabilities and it's specific role is being performed quite nicely by other assets. It might be nice to have, but my way-out-of-lane opinion is that something like this should be very low on our list of priorities.  There are other UAVs out there that are much more urgently needed to fill other roles besides leaflet drops and re-supps.

stegner said:
We need it because the Manley commission said we need more UAVs and the Government of Canada supported that need so in theory they should provide the money to back this up.  You can launch this from the hood of a G-wagen-pretty easy.  It is certainly cheaper to fly than the Herc.  Its autonomous-meaning you can program it to fly and it will do the rest-don't need a lot of crew.   Along with pamphlets it can drop other stuff that might be helpful to an isolated FOB or to a platoon in a firefight (i.e. ammo, medicine, water) 600 pounds worth.  It's cheaper in terms of life and damage done to the CF when faced with convoy attack whilst delivery supplies.   It is also quicker than resupplying by ground as it does not need to fly as cautiously as forces on the ground drive.  This vehicle can also conduct recce.  Just my 2 cents. 

You've given some opinions, but none based on experience or expertise. General statements are fine, but you'll want to stay in your lane. For example: You can launch this from the hood of a G-wagen-pretty easy. - I'd really like to see this. As you've made the statement, explain to us how this would be done.

I'm here fairly often. I can wait till you figure it out. See if you can answer the other questions, I posed to you, while your at it.

Do you realize how little 600lbs is when you start talking ammo and water?

600-it is better than 0 pounds of ammo and water no?  This vehicle is something that could used for emergency situations no?     

You can launch this from the hood of a G-wagen-pretty easy. 

Oops I mistook the hood for the back of the Humvee :(

See this link http://www.mmist.ca/SnowGoose.asp

I'm here fairly often. I can wait till you figure it out. See if you can answer the other questions, I posed to you, while your at it.

Which questions do I still need to answer?  Sorry not the swiftest today.

stegner said:
Which questions do I still need to answer?  Sorry not the swiftest today.

How about the ones right after your first post? You don't have to, of course. They're just the type of things that have to be considered, amongst others, when you want to say "We need/ want this!!" or "Why don't our soldiers have this kit??"

See what I mean? The statement is easy to make, until you want to make it a project.

stegner said:
We need it because the Manley commission said we need more UAVs and the Government of Canada supported that need so in theory they should provide the money to back this up. 

UAVs for Afghanistan have already been taken care of by the government.

CQ-10A is a very cost effective solution to supply covert troops with support (ammo, water, beans etc.). By design it lends itself to a lot of other uses too, for which there may be 1000 UAVS to choose from but when it comes to aerial cargo delivery - there is only one. CQ-10A rules!!! Made in Canada. Lets support Canadian industry for a change!!  :)  :cdn:

GroteKoning said:
CQ-10A is a very cost effective solution to supply covert troops with support (ammo, water, beans etc.). By design it lends itself to a lot of other uses too, for which there may be 1000 UAVS to choose from but when it comes to aerial cargo delivery - there is only one. CQ-10A rules!!! Made in Canada. Lets support Canadian industry for a change!!  :)   :cdn:

Says the guy from the company that makes this.  Just out of curiosity, what is the price per unit on these?

GroteKoning said:
CQ-10A is a very cost effective solution to supply covert troops with support (ammo, water, beans etc.). By design it lends itself to a lot of other uses too, for which there may be 1000 UAVS to choose from but when it comes to aerial cargo delivery - there is only one. CQ-10A rules!!! Made in Canada. Lets support Canadian industry for a change!!  :)   :cdn:

Nothing wrong with waving the flag, but it would have been better if you'd told us you were a company representative at the beginning of your spiel. Perhaps you'd like to take a stab at answering the questions posed by this thread, instead of trotting out the company PR line.

Sorry! Had no intention of misleading anyone. Will try not to be a marketer - but please excuse me if I'm a fan of Canadian industry. One gets tired of seeing all the good stuff and good engineers going south. (Unofficially - U can get 2 UAV's with support eq. for about $1M).  :warstory:

Thank you for that.
Could you answer some of the previous questions that some had?

I'll try. (All responses are my opinion only, are not binding and are intended as answers to questions only - no marketing)
The CQ-10A reduces operational (war) costs by taking the pilot and the expensive helicopter/C130 out of the danger area for re-supp. 500 lbs is a lot to the guys out there who may be running out and have nothing. It can also be used as a radio relay staiton for up to 12 hours per mission (2 systems provide 24 hour coverage). Because it was "certified" as a cargo UAV it is very easy to integrate other capabilities as these are installed as cargo bins. It can be operated by non-aviators - because it flies the mission autonomously. Training course is only 5 weeks. Bye!

GroteKoning said:
CQ-10A is a very cost effective solution to supply covert troops with support (ammo, water, beans etc.). By design it lends itself to a lot of other uses too, for which there may be 1000 UAVS to choose from but when it comes to aerial cargo delivery - there is only one. CQ-10A rules!!! Made in Canada. Lets support Canadian industry for a change!!  :)  :cdn:

So, it'll be just like a flying Iltis then?

;D

As somebody currently "dealing" with Sperwer, I have developed an unbelievably humungous suspicion of anything with the letters "U", "A", and "V" appearing in that order in any part of their description, although that suspicion diminishes somewhat if the manufacturer AND user is US or Israeli.

Back