• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Moving from BC and looking for secret gems across Canada

Zorno

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi there

I'm posted from Victoria to Quebec this year, and my wife and I are trying to plan the trip. 

Just wondering if there is anyone out there that has some great hints or awesome little spots that you have discovered across the prairies that would help make the trip as fun and interesting as it can be.  If you could point me to a similar thread or a good online resource for trip planning of this nature then that would be awesome, but any good stories (or lessons hard-learned) would be appreciated.

One thing that we are looking for are spots that are cat-friendly as we have (perhaps unwisely) decided to bring the psycho...er...cute little fur ball with us

If you get a chance to stop in Lethbridge, Alberta, go to the Nikka Yuko Japanese Garden.  I remember it (as a very young child) as the Peace Gardens.  Absolutely gorgeous.  You'll have to Google a hotel for the cat.  ;)

Also, if you were to swing through the USA, Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills are something to see.  (I know it's not Canada!!)

In southern Alberta....Royal Tyrell Museam for the dinosaurs.  Don't care what age you are they're pretty neat.

Thunder Bay, Ontario.  Go check out the Hoito resturant for authentic Finnish cusine..Finnish pancakes are great!.  Also the Terry Fox statue outside of town, Sleeping Giant Provincial Park and you might be able to get some fishing in while travelling N. Ontario.

foresterab said:
Thunder Bay, Ontario.  Go check out the Hoito resturant for authentic Finnish cusine..Finnish pancakes are great!.  Also the Terry Fox statue outside of town, Sleeping Giant Provincial Park and you might be able to get some fishing in while travelling N. Ontario.
Thanks for the plug! Great thing (or not so great thing; depends on your perspective  ;)) about Thunder Bay is you have no choice but to drive through it. You might also want to take in Fort William Historical Park, Kakabeka Falls or pick yourself some amethyst. This might help:
http://www.visitthunderbay.com/index.asp?page=things
Though you might want to bring your rubber boots (or an ark)...its been a tad bit rainy lately.  :)

ex-Sup said:
Thanks for the plug! Great thing (or not so great thing; depends on your perspective  ;)) about Thunder Bay is you have no choice but to drive through it. You might also want to take in Fort William Historical Park, Kakabeka Falls or pick yourself some amethyst. This might help:
http://www.visitthunderbay.com/index.asp?page=things
Though you might want to bring your rubber boots (or an ark)...its been a tad bit rainy lately.  :)
Negative, Hightway 17 goes around T'bay.  But Hwy 17B goes thru town.  I just returned from a long haul out west, I can tell you that there are loads of Comfort Inns and Best Westerns along the side of the highway.  In Moose Jaw, there's the home of the Snowbirds, so probably a museum.  Kingston, ON, has Fort Henry that will start it's summer program soon of daily drill routines and noon salutes. If you're coming down the 400 from Sudbury {TCH 17} there's Canada's Wonderland between Barrie and TO.
Cheers and enjoy the trip!!!
Keep the Shiny side up!
BYTD

ThunderBay is nice until you get downtown.  Then it turns onto quite possibly the dirtiest downtown district I've ever seen in Canada.  With the exception of downtown Vancouver, and maybe Oshawa.  **shudderz**

BYT Driver said:
Negative, Hightway 17 goes around T'bay.  But Hwy 17B goes thru town.
In what world? I've lived here for 34 years...I think I know what I'm talking about. If you're referring to the fact that the highway doesn't go directly downtown, that is true. But, 11/17 does not bypass the city in any way. BTW, they got rid of the "B" designation a long time ago. Hope this clarifies things.  :)

MedTechStudent said:
ThunderBay is nice until you get downtown.  Then it turns onto quite possibly the dirtiest downtown district I've ever seen in Canada.  With the exception of downtown Vancouver, and maybe Oshawa.  **shudderz**
True, there are some not so nice parts of town. But what city doesn't have that? I've seen some pretty crappy parts of other cities. Take the good with the bad right? Ever been to Superior, Wisconsin? It's about 3hrs south of the Bay right next to the city of Duluth, MN. The going joke here is as follows, "Superior, the place where people from Thunder Bay go to feel better about themselves!"  ;D

ex-Sup said:
True, there are some not so nice parts of town. But what city doesn't have that? I've seen some pretty crappy parts of other cities. Take the good with the bad right? Ever been to Superior, Wisconsin? It's about 3hrs south of the Bay right next to the city of Duluth, MN. The going joke here is as follows, "Superior, the place where people from Thunder Bay go to feel better about themselves!"  ;D

Is it worth throwing on NBC suit and checking it out?  What with todays gas prices and all  ;)

MedTechStudent said:
Is it worth throwing on NBC suit and checking it out?  What with todays gas prices and all  ;)
Maybe the NBC suit is a bit much, but I can truly say that I cringed when I drove through downtown. I know friends who have done a bar crawl...makes me shudder thinking about it. I'll be in Duluth, MN (on the other side of the river) next week for a football camp. If I get over the bridge (there are some worthwhile stores away from downtown) I'll take some pics. Anyway, gas is still cheaper in the US. We're paying $1.39/l here; even at $4.50/g or whatever it is, it's still cheaper. ;)

ex-Sup said:
In what world? I've lived here for 34 years...I think I know what I'm talking about. If you're referring to the fact that the highway doesn't go directly downtown, that is true. But, 11/17 does not bypass the city in any way. BTW, they got rid of the "B" designation a long time ago. Hope this clarifies things.  :)

IIRC, the highway takes a bipass...whether it's designation is 17B or whatever.  But you do exit/turn off the highway to get into town...I do know that getting into the Super 8 with a T/T is loads of fun!!!  Travel Lodge was nice on the way out of town.  Regards BYT

BYT Driver said:
IIRC, the highway takes a bipass...whether it's designation is 17B or whatever.  But you do exit/turn off the highway to get into town
I guess it depends on the way you look at it. The highway runs through part of the city...there's still a lot of Thunder Bay west of the highway. For example, to me the 401 runs through Toronto. Does it take you downtown? No, not even close, but your are still within the confines of the city itself. Whatever works for you. My original point was that there's really no way to avoid Thunder Bay (whether it's the outskirts or whatever); there's only one highway through northwestern Ontario.

Of course, then again, I could've just had an anal-cranial inversion and was thinking of Kenora, not Thunderbay.  17 comes in from the north, doglegs, then continues.  The Landmark Inn is very nice, but is on the outskirts of the city.
Sorry for my confusion.... 8)  :-\

BYT Driver said:
Of course, then again, I could've just had an anal-cranial inversion and was thinking of Kenora, not Thunderbay.  17 comes in from the north, doglegs, then continues.  The Landmark Inn is very nice, but is on the outskirts of the city.
Sorry for my confusion.... 8)  :-\
Hey, don't worry about it. We had a huge storm a week and a half ago that washed out some highways...you would have been SOL wherever you were.
Landmark eh. Well I live on the opposite end of town, where 61 comes up from the US. Now, there's a scenic drive; Thunder Bay to Duluth. Very popular with our friends south of the border.  :)

Check out Saskatoon...it's a pretty nice-looking city.  Drive as fast as the city cops will let you through Regina, you're not missing much  ;D

In Manitoba, since you're here for the summer, Gimli's not a bad spot.  It can't match the beaches in BC, but it was the capital of New Iceland...that's gotta count for something  ::)

If you take the #1 stop at Cyprus Hills, you will be blown away with the views and the camping. Turn north at Swift Current and go to Sask Landing for great fishing, sailing on Lake Diefenbaker and hiking the coulee hills. Take in the Spa and the tunnels in Moose Jaw. As for Regina take a look at Wascana park which surrounds the legislative buildings, there is also an Imax and science museum within the park. If you have the time take in a game at Taylor field and watch the Roughriders lay a whippin on the opposition. As you reach Moosimin head south to Kenosee Provincial park for gambling, camping and waterslides.

If you take 16, North Battleford, Saskatoon, Batoche (Louis Riel's last stand) are great stops. If you continue on 16 past Saskatoon, stop at Lake of the Prairies for the best Walleye fishing in Canada and then visit Riding Mountain National Park which is a beautiful place in Western Manitoba. Once you get to Winnipeg head north to Grand Beach which easily rivals anything BC has to offer.

This is just a taste of what is available in MB and SK. There is a whole lot more if you are willing to look a little.

I'd echo the comments on Lethbridge and Saskatoon ( and Gimli isn't bad either).  I would also add my personal favourite, Waterton-Glacier Park.  Other interesting sites are Writing-On-Stone on the Milk River in Alberta, and Cypress Hills.  You might also look in at Batoche.

If you have the time to do a bit of Zig-Zagging then I would come out of the mountains in the South via the Crowsnest, follow the general line of Highway 3 to Lethbridge then head north to Drumheller and the Tyrrell.  In Saskatchewan I like the rivers, either the South Saskatchewan/Lake Diefebaker around Elbow and Outlook and on into Saskatoon, or the North Saskatchewan via the Yellowhead which will take you into the vicinity of Batoche.  There is a particularly gorgeous spot on the Yellowhead just between Borden and Saskatoon with a pullout on the North Side of the Highway.

The Yellowhead from Saskatoon is about as boring as Highway 1 but it makes up for it in the Dauphin, Riding Mountain, Assiniboine Valley area.

MedTechStudent said:
Not true, try downtown Winnipeg

If you can go through edmonton, try the West Edmonton mall. It may not be a "beautiful gem", but it's the biggest mall in Canada and has a huge indoor waterpark.

PMedMoe said:
If you get a chance to stop in Lethbridge, Alberta, go to the Nikka Yuko Japanese Garden.  I remember it (as a very young child) as the Peace Gardens.  Absolutely gorgeous.  You'll have to Google a hotel for the cat.  ;)

Also, if you were to swing through the USA, Mount Rushmore and the Black Hills are something to see.  (I know it's not Canada!!)

The Peace Gardens are on the Manitoba / North Dakota border near Boissevin.

It's a very impressive garden, takes about 2-3 hours.

I would probably take the Yellowhead highway from edmonton to highway 1 which ends about midway between Brandon/Winnipeg. It's much more scenic than the transcanada.

Through Ontario make sure to stop in Kenora / Falcon Beach. Very nice cottage town.

Back