• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Weapons Tech.

Maverick94

Jr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey all, Tried a search for this but got nothing.

Anyone on here a NWT? Do you guys like the trade? What do you think about it? I'm currently in the process for ROTP, and if I don't get accepted for it, I'm considering switching my app to NWT.
 

Occam

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1
Points
430
There's tons of info on this site.  Follow this link, and form your searches like I did in the example.
 

panzer96

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Wow, Theres not a ton of info on this subject and the info i managed to scrounge is like 3-4 years old. Anyway i would like some basic input from NWT, (like do you get promoted fast?, is the trade over deployed?, do you constantly get posted to other ship? etc...)i'm in the process of putting an OT for NWT, i search this forum quite extensively and didn't find much. I ran across a couple of thread making reference to a supertech course, what the heck is that? Your qualified in more than one trade?
Any info would be appreciated
 

Pat in Halifax

Sr. Member
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
There is actually a thread entitled "Ask the CSE Chief", so I suggest you might want to "...Ask....the....!!
 

Pusser

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
0
Points
410
Pat in Halifax said:
There is actually a thread entitled "Ask the CSE Chief", so I suggest you might want to "...Ask....the....!!

In all fairness, how is someone from the outside going to know that NWTs are in the same chain as the CSE Chief?  Sometimes, what we think are easy questions are not as simple to others.

CSE = Combat Systems Engineering
 

Occam

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1
Points
430
panzer96 said:
Wow, Theres not a ton of info on this subject and the info i managed to scrounge is like 3-4 years old. Anyway i would like some basic input from NWT, (like do you get promoted fast?, is the trade over deployed?, do you constantly get posted to other ship? etc...)i'm in the process of putting an OT for NWT, i search this forum quite extensively and didn't find much. I ran across a couple of thread making reference to a supertech course, what the heck is that? Your qualified in more than one trade?
Any info would be appreciated

You didn't search very well then.

Do you get promoted fast?  - As fast as other trades, which is LS in four years, and on merit after that.

Is the trade over deployed?  -  I don't know, is it listed as "in demand" on the recruiting website?

Do you constantly get posted to another ship? No, they have this thing called "sea/shore ratio".  It means you should not normally spend above a certain percentage of your career posted to a sea-going unit.

Supertech = NCSTTP, search for that.
 

Sealife

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I am an NWT. As of Sept 1st it will no longer exist, it
will be Armament in the Weapons Engineering technician trade.
You will be given a trade out of 5 depending how your training goes.

send me a PM if you need more info.

Hard Sea Trade.
 

freakerz

Member
Mentor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Sealife said:
I am an NWT. As of Sept 1st it will no longer exist, it
will be Armament in the Weapons Engineering technician trade.
You will be given a trade out of 5 depending how your training goes.

Reference? First time I hear this, and God knows I follow the CANFORGENs and DIN...

Are the requirements going to change, I'm dying to go into NWT, but am short of Grade 12 Physics...
 

Occam

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1
Points
430
freakerz said:
Reference? First time I hear this, and God knows I follow the CANFORGENs and DIN...

Are the requirements going to change, I'm dying to go into NWT, but am short of Grade 12 Physics...

Check elsewhere in the Navy forums for info here, I'll see if I can give you a DWAN page on Monday.
 

freakerz

Member
Mentor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Found the discussion in the CSE Chief thread.. dating 2008... explains why I didn't see it before lol

I'll try to find something on the DWAN tomorrow, really hope they dropped the physics requirement for just advanced maths..
 

Navalsnpr

Sr. Member
Reaction score
0
Points
210
There is a trade realignment proposal on the table right now that will take the 3 NET trades and the NWT trade and change it into the 'Weapons Engineering Technician" trade. Basically one feeder trade into a few sub-MOSID's (Sonar, Armament, Radar & Communications). The equipment assignments have shifted slightly as well.

All waiting Treasury Board approval and it is expected to be in place by Sep 2011.
 

freakerz

Member
Mentor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Another "we are in need of people, so let's hide the trades in a general trade" ... just like ACISS..
They can't possibly ask Physics for NET jobs..
 

Occam

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1
Points
430
freakerz said:
They can't possibly ask Physics for NET jobs..

Are you suggesting that you don't need knowledge of physics to be an electonics technician?

You're in for a rude awakening...
 

hardav23

Guest
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Have to agree with Occam, I am going into 3rd semester at Camosun and did Physics first semester where there was a NWT in my class and he did not pass it, as well there was a NWT that failed math in 1st semester and another one in 2nd semester failing math.  They are going to have to retake the courses on their own.  If you are thinking you will get by with general math, I wish you luck!
 

freakerz

Member
Mentor
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Honestly, I was basing myself on past experience in a computer science degree.. I know NWT probably need Physics, but, didn't think you'ld need Physics for electronics (at a tech level).
As for maths, I get why they ask for advanced maths, no problem there.. most people should have them nowadays.
Pisses me off that I didn't take Physics/Chemistry as a kid, pisses me off even more because in the end, I wouldn't remember anything after 10 years, yet that line in my grade card would let me go in the trade.
If they need people, why don't they do like Comm Rsch and POET, a PIP and couple weeks of refreshers, it's not like the course isn't long already.
 

Occam

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
1
Points
430
freakerz said:
Honestly, I was basing myself on past experience in a computer science degree.. I know NWT probably need Physics, but, didn't think you'ld need Physics for electronics (at a tech level).

Physics is all over the place in electronics.  You can't avoid it.

If they need people, why don't they do like Comm Rsch and POET, a PIP and couple weeks of refreshers, it's not like the course isn't long already.

I'm not sure I understand you.

The NE Tech program that CFNES teaches gets you to the level of Electronics Engineering Technician.  The NW Tech program gets you to the Electro-Mechanical Technician level.  Neither Comm Rsch nor POET bring you anywhere close to any kind of certification.  The Naval programs are all-encompassing for a reason - they're identical in subject matter to their counterparts on civvie street.  Things may change after the new trade rolls out, and that's not a good thing.
 

PuckChaser

Army.ca Fixture
Staff member
Directing Staff
Mentor
Reaction score
228
Points
780
Navalsnipr said:
There is a trade realignment proposal on the table right now that will take the 3 NET trades and the NWT trade and change it into the 'Weapons Engineering Technician" trade. Basically one feeder trade into a few sub-MOSID's (Sonar, Armament, Radar & Communications). The equipment assignments have shifted slightly as well.

Oh no, they're making the same mistake the C&E Branch is! Must be something going around.
 
Top