• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Naval Weapons Tech.

freakerz said:
If they need people, why don't they do like Comm Rsch and POET, a PIP and couple weeks of refreshers, it's not like the course isn't long already.

I haven't done math or physics since 97 and I jumped right into the electronics engineering program, with math and physics, and getting descent marks, just takes some WORK. Nothing is stopping you from brushing up on it yourself before hand, just sayin.

God I hate being french, I really can't get opinions across properly (even in real life).

First off, I didn't know electronics required physics so much. Good to know. I knew about maths, it's obvious.

The PIP, is a learning package POET and Comm Rsch get as a "refresher" on maths and electricity. Then you're first couple of weeks on course are confirmations.

To me, techs were equivalent to trade school or some college, but not really "in depth" like a university or technical degree. (although I did check NWT's program and it's hardcore stuff)

Yup, I'm familiar with PIPs, they do serve a purpose but they're not terribly effective at teaching new material.  Not so bad at refreshing stuff you used to know though.  There used to be a time when several trades had "Pre-academic training courses" which brought everyone to a common level for maths/physics so that when the actual technical course started, there was nobody playing catch up.  Now that they have minimum standards for enrolment into the NET/NWT trades, the Pre-Ac courses have gone the way of the dodo.

If you're talking about a generic "technician", then that is likely trade school or POET level training.  If you're talking about the term "Electro-Mechanical Technician" or "Electronics Engineering Technician", then those terms have strict meanings within the national/provincial licensing bodies such as CTAB (Canadian Technology Accreditation Board) and OACETT (Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists).  Those titles are protected in the same manner as the title "Engineer" is.  They are always college-level programs of at least two years duration.  CFNES is an accredited teaching institution with CTAB for Electro-Mechanical Techs (aka "NW Tech") and Electronics Engineering Techs (aka NE Tech A/C/T).

Back