• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New base expanding USA air patrols along CAN border

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33409

New base will expand U.S. air patrols along Canadian border
Kerry Williamson (kwilliamson@theherald.canwest.com), CanWest News Service/Calgary Herald, 3 Sept 06
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=305d6403-928f-4529-a9a3-05942f6260bf&k=9833

CALGARY -- As Canadian border guards look forward to having guns on their hips within a year, the Americans will soon be patrolling the U.S.-Alberta border with two Black Hawk helicopters and planes equipped with radar units taken from F-16 fighter jets.

The Northern Border Air Wing a department of U.S. Homeland Security is setting up a new base in Great Falls, Mont., a post that will see security tightened along the America-Canada border like never before.

One Black Hawk helicopter, similar to that used by the U.S. military, is already stationed at the Great Falls International Airport, with another due to arrive within days.

The air wing will bolster the border guards based out of Havre, Mont., and patrol about 730 kilometres, from the North Dakota border to the Continental Divide.

The post, a direct result of the U.S.-led war on terror, is one of five that will eventually help patrol the entire 8,891 kilometres of the world's longest undefended border a claim that now seems to be a misnomer.

Mike Milne, a Seattle-based spokesman for U.S. Customs and Border Protection, said officers stationed at the Great Falls post will chase down illegal aliens and drug-runners, but their priority will be preventing terror suspects from entering the U.S. from Canada.

"The first priority is terrorism," Milne said.

"They will fly missions along the border, to prevent terrorist and terror weapons from coming into the U.S., to target drug smuggling and illegal entry of people that are avoiding going through ports of entry."

Once operational, the air wing is expected to have a one-hour response time, anywhere along the border. Aircraft will be on the lookout for people crossing by air and by land.

Anyone crossing illegally will initially be considered a terror threat.

"You basically start with a matrix are they terrorists, or with terror weapons?" said Milne. "Then you go down from there."

Pilots and ground staff are currently undergoing training, flying out of the Great Falls airport. Homeland Security signed a multi-year lease for hangar and office space in June.

"The expansion of operations in Montana is another significant step forward toward a deliberate and strategic expansion of Customs and Border Protection (CBP) border security operations along the northern border," Michael Kostelnik, assistant commissioner for CBP air and marine, said at the time.

More than 50 personnel will work out of the new detachment, including 20 pilots, and about 25 maintenance crew. The post is expected to be fully operational within six weeks.

Dennis Lindsay, director of air operations at the Great Falls post, said the border detachment will replicate work already being done out of posts in Bellingham, Wash., and Plattsburgh, N.Y.

Two more posts will eventually be developed in North Dakota and Michigan next year.

"It's an effort to provide assistance to the border patrol section, to help them to better secure the border," said Lindsay, adding the town of Great Falls has embraced the new post. "This will have huge economic impact on Great Falls."

The impact of the aerial border posts was seen just two months ago, during the high-profile Operation Frozen Timber on the West Coast.

In late June, Canadian and U.S. authorities announced they had broken up a highly organized drug-smuggling ring that used helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft to ferry drugs across the border, dropping their caches in remote woods in Washington and B.C.

Aerial support out of the Bellingham post proved crucial in the success of Operation Frozen Timber.

In one incident in May, CBP aircraft, acting on a tip from B.C.-based RCMP, tracked a Bell Jet Ranger helicopter to a landing site in Okanogan County, Wash.

Immigration and Enforcement agents watched as drugs were allegedly transferred from the helicopter to a waiting pickup truck. Officers on the ground stopped the vehicle and recovered 150 kilograms of marijuana.

When the helicopter landed back in B.C., the RCMP arrested its two Canadian pilots and charged them with trafficking. Kostelnik said CBP and RCMP aircraft played a "critical" role in the investigation.

The opening of the Great Falls post comes as the U.S. turns its attention to its northern border. Last week, a congressional hearing swept into Montana, as the U.S. House of Representatives gathers information for its own immigration bill.

During the hearing, chairman Tom Tancredo, the Republican congressman from Colorado, raised eyebrows by suggesting the Canada-U.S. border was so porous that a cleanly shaven Osama bin Laden could slip across, pretending to be a tent-maker, something Tancredo has repeated since 2002.

Tancredo who is mulling a presidential run added that "terrorists and drug smuggling" are the primary concerns on the border.

The Canadian side is also patrolled by helicopter the Rocky Mountain Integrated Border Enforcement Team uses an RCMP helicopter to monitor activity. The Alberta IBET team, which includes personnel from the U.S. Border Patrol and the U.S. Customs Service, also does regular vehicle patrols.

Insp. Greg Shields of the Rocky Mountain IBET team said officers do their best to secure the country's southern border.

"What the U.S. does on their border is their sovereign right," he said. "In my opinion, it's reasonably well secured for the world's largest border. There are thousands of miles of border out there."

Officials hope the eventual arming of Canada's border guards will help make the land ports more secure.

The Harper government announced on Thursday that the country's border guards will be armed from next year; by March 2008, 150 guards will be given firearms, with another 4,400 guards armed within 10 years.

The federal government will also hire an additional 400 permanent border officers. However, the national vice-president of the Customs and Excise Union said Canada still has "a long ways to go" to match security efforts on the U.S. side of the border.

"The U.S. armed their officers three decades ago," said Steve Pellerin-Fowlie. "We have battled with several governments over 21 years on this issue."

Interesting.  Five bases will "patrol" thousands of km of border, much of which traverses the Cordilleran mountains, the boreal wilderness and the Appalachian highlands.  I guess it looks good to those demanding that the US "tighten up" its border with its overly-liberal neighbour to the north.  But, in terms of substance...?  Best to not ask, I guess.  Seems like a sweet job for some UH-60 crews, though.

yeah. I can see those Blackhawks doing some good interdicting drugs/guns at the Reserves, but terrorism? Don't those guys just slip through with false papers and such? I'd think those aircraft would do more good helping the poor buggers on the OTHER border. They're the ones getting shot at.

Is likely to be like some previous programs where it comes in with great fanfare, then is slowly strangled by budget cuts. Election in 2 years.

It is the nature of the budgeting beast.  Homeland security has a big open ticket right now for improvements and acquisitions.  In all likelyhood, it will have a mostly drug interdiction effect, and will probably work very closely with local and federal enforcement bodies.  
Any extra eyes will be okay with me.  If those eyes are looking along the site line of a weapon, even better.

This is a waste of resources in my opinion.  Most "terrorists" who come from Canada don't do it by skipping the border.  They get into the US with fake Canadian passports, and US work visas (9/11 hijackers). 

It's the Mexican border that needs the most resources.  I have read many stories of Mexican military chasing drug runners into the US, and having open gun battles with them on US soil. 

That, and roughly 1 million Mexicans cross the border each year.  If Americans really want to worry, it's not because of the "onslaught of oppressed and poor Canadians flooding over the Northern border", but because of the Southern border which has been out of Americans minds for quite some time now.  The US has really cashed in on cheap labor coming from the South, and apparently this is more important than National Security.

I remember watching an edition of CNN Crossfire last year.  They asked random Americans all over the country how they think terrorists get into the US, and every one of them said Canada....  ::)

Talk to the e.g. the TIA (Travel Industry Association of America - http://www.tia.org/index.html ).  They, and similar groups representing airlines and hotels and, and, and, ad infinitum are lobbying the US Government to weaken border security: not just the Canadian border, either.

America is a democracy, so is Canada, and everyone is entitled to tell the government what to do; that means a cacophony of conflicting opinions.

Remember that, according to TIA, tourism, alone, in the US, is ‘worth’ (at $1.3 trillion) more than Canada’s total economy.

That, and roughly 1 million Mexicans cross the border each year.  If Americans really want to worry, it's not because of the "onslaught of oppressed and poor Canadians flooding over the Northern border", but because of the Southern border which has been out of Americans minds for quite some time now.  The US has really cashed in on cheap labor coming from the South, and apparently this is more important than National Security.

I live this problem every day, being 3 hours from the border. This problem isn't "out of Americans' minds"; rather it has been painted as a non-issue, by the politicians of every side, who haven't wanted to touch this issue, with a 10-ft pole.  In my opinion - GOP wants the cheap labour, Dems want the votes. I can tell you the politicians are starting to listen. The strain on the health care systems, education, prisons, etc., far outweighs and "benefits", real or imagined - provided by illegal immigrants.

www.desertinvasion.us

http://www.minutemanproject.com/

http://www.minutemanhq.com/

Lost Warrior - Re:  "Most "terrorists" who come from Canada don't do it by skipping the border.  They get into the US with fake Canadian passports, and US work visas (9/11 hijackers)."

Am I mistaken, or did none of the 9/11 hijackers enter the US through Canada?
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38816-2005Apr8.html

''True or false? Shortly before Sept. 11, 2001, several of the terrorists who would carry out the attacks that day slipped into the United States from Canada.

Canadian officials are vexed that (....) years later, they have not dispelled the groundless claim that Canada was a route for the Sept. 11 hijackers. Frank McKenna, the new ambassador to the United States, calls it an "urban myth" and has been trying to beat it down in television interviews and letters to the editor.

"It took on a life of its own, like a viral infection," McKenna said in a telephone interview from Washington.

This lingering headache for Canada underlines the enduring life of inaccuracies in the media and the sensitivity of Canadians to suggestions that their country's long and lightly guarded border is a threat to the United States. ''

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/04/21/gingrich-mckenna050421.html
"None of the 19 hijackers entered the U.S. from either Canada or Mexico, information confirmed by former U.S. attorney general John Ashcroft and the 9/11 Commission investigating the attacks, wrote McKenna in his letter to Gingrich."

If I misread what you wrote, and you meant the general principle of the 9-11 hijackers coming into the US through fake work permits from somewhere else, I'm OK with whatever blast you feel is appropriate.  ;D

I read it that LW is annoyed that so many Yanks believe the myth.

milnewstbay, read my reply again.  I never said that the 9/11 hijackers got in through Canada.  I said that they got in with work visas...  I never mentioned their country of entry.

I can tell you the politicians are starting to listen.

Thats good to hear.  I heard GW's administration authorized the use of USNG troops along the US border.  It's unfortunate the initial numbers of 3000 was cut to 1600. 

The strain on the health care systems, education, prisons, etc., far outweighs and "benefits", real or imagined - provided by illegal immigrants.

With situations like these, I'm sure education is the least of the worries of most Southern states....  But I can see the general concern.

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20060117-121930-3169r.htm
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=48357
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11226144/
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-02-22-border-patrol_x.htm

Six thousand Guardsmen are on the border. I just wish it was more.

http://www.ngb.army.mil/features/southwestborder/default.aspx

Thanks for the info T6.  Last I heard (which was months ago) was the initial 3000 was cut to 1600 to fill rotations in Iraq.  It's good to see that that number has been bosted to 6000.  It's about time the US administration starts taking their Southern border issues seriously.

Lost_Warrior said:
milnewstbay, read my reply again.   I never said that the 9/11 hijackers got in through Canada.  I said that they got in with work visas...  I never mentioned their country of entry.

I stand corrected - sorry for the misunderstanding on my part....

"I remember watching an edition of CNN Crossfire last year.  They asked random Americans all over the country how they think terrorists get into the US, and every one of them said Canada....  "

Not that Americans care or it will change there impression of the Canadian border, but if my memory is correct the only check you get when crossing into the US the Border is by US Customs.  If more Americans remebered this, than maybe they would press for customs officers and more training.  But with the way the Liberal Party and Liberal government was treating the US it was all to easy to just blame Canada.  And no 911 terrorist came from canada, but you don't get that from US sources either.  Fake passports are a problem for many countries just not Canada, listing 9/11 with canada eevn passports to me implied you meant they came from here.  which you have corrected.

Fake passports are a problem for many countries just not Canada

True, its not just Canada, but there's something to be said when the most faked/frauded passport in the world is the Canadian passport.

Lost_Warrior said:
True, its not just Canada, but there's something to be said when the most faked/frauded passport in the world is the Canadian passport.

I would say that has more due with cultual make up of Canada, than how sercure the passport is.  Because Canada is so multi-cultural and allows everyone keeps traditions it much easier to pass yourself as a Canadian.

No, our passports are sold all over the black market.

Back