• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy

You would be hard pressed to show Canadian society a tangible benefit.
Most are intangibles, and yes you could come up with a weighted metric, still most in Canada would shrug and say, not my problem.

Most Canadians are fine with letting the neighbors do the lifting so they can bitch about how it was done.

No argument on that - but that is a separate discussion.

I'd say a 50 year timeline is not a relevant factor for a military. And yet those are the timelines to which the CAF is being held.
Because in 50 years everybody knows that all assumptions are completely invalid - environment changes, society changes, competitors change, technology changes.
I'd say it very much is a valid timeline for some aspects: DND should stop, for example, divesting property because there's not a current-to-twenty-year justification for it. Ditto anything that'll mothball nicely, even if "current needs" don't see it being fielded (see: SPGs, all rifles, guns, any building with life still in it that isn't in the way, ships if they're not "self retiring," etc.), and eat the various costs as national defence insurance.

"How much is it worth to you to not have your backyard full of Russians" has had historical success, and might be worth dusting off.

Looks much better in red and white than the black and yellow in movie

There are a LOT of black and yellow scenes in this trailer, that's very interesting from an artistic perspective.

Nothing to do with the thread, I know, let me go back into the hole I crawled out of...

West Coast Naval Technical Seminar's next week. Any questions people want me to ask of the project staff? Be aware I may get only one or two questions as its a seminar and you don't really get to have a proper conversation.

It's also a Technical seminar, so technical questions only. Nothing budget or PM related.

Can you ask about onboard space for warehousing? For rations and spares ?

Maybe not technical.... But I thought I'd ask.

How about whether or not they've figured out the problem of classified storage space? Have they added that as a part of the project this time, or was it forgotten like it was in the HCM project?

I will ask, hopefully it will be obvious from any ship plans they put in the ppt and I can infer from there.

How about whether or not they've figured out the problem of classified storage space? Have they added that as a part of the project this time, or was it forgotten like it was in the HCM project?

I can guarantee that security is part of the design, not entirely sure if classified storage is its own space or not. There is a lot of effort going into cyber security etc... but as above I'll see if it pops up in the blueprints and if not I'll try and ask.

I will ask, hopefully it will be obvious from any ship plans they put in the ppt and I can infer from there.

I can guarantee that security is part of the design, not entirely sure if classified storage is its own space or not. There is a lot of effort going into cyber security etc... but as above I'll see if it pops up in the blueprints and if not I'll try and ask.

Merci beaucoup!

There is definitely space, but onboard spares, rations etc are still a bit fluid as crew size and equipment selection still needs to get finalized. The preliminary design doesn't get into that level of detail and figuring out what spares are required will be about 5 years down the road.

The Defstans are pretty comprehensive design standards though, and much better in some respects than our CFTOs so it's generally pretty well thought out (until we get at it).

Sorry - to be more clear - classified storage space ashore. When a ship goes into refit, there is considerable footprint required for storage of SCHC K type items, and no-where to put them...and if you have 3-4 ships in refit at the same time, then it's not an inconsiderable amount of space required.

Sorry - to be more clear - classified storage space ashore. When a ship goes into refit, there is considerable footprint required for storage of SCHC K type items, and no-where to put them...and if you have 3-4 ships in refit at the same time, then it's not an inconsiderable amount of space required.
I'd be surprised if this is on the radar at all, but understand what you mean completely.

That's likely bundled in 'other peoples problems' for when the ship is in service, but with maybe with all the US systems they will force us to have a plan for DWPs to make sure the ITAR obligations are met as well as the additional level 2/3 requirements.

Heddle manages to keep their finger in the pie and the Terry Fox continues on and on and on while we await news on the 2 replacement Polar Icebreakers
Interesting 'cause the Terry Fox was just in Heddle a year or so ago. I thought that Davie was the go-to yard for Ice Breakers so aren't they stealing business away from one of the primaries? Heddle has also nabbed one of the Quebec city's excursion boats for a re-fit which again I would have thought would have made the trip across the river for work as opposed to venturing up to St. Kits.

Back