• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Canadian Shipbuilding Strategy

By ‘outsourced’ do you mean contracted to an organization other than another GoC Department?

For clarity, there is ongoing work in the oceanographic world which includes national and international partners. I'm not directly tapped into any of it, but I hear about it occasionally in our staff meetings since my boss is Director Meteorology and Oceanography.

For clarity, there is ongoing work in the oceanographic world which includes national and international partners. I'm not directly tapped into any of it, but I hear about it occasionally in our staff meetings since my boss is Director Meteorology and Oceanography.
If we had ships like the new Dutch/Belgium Mine Hunters, they would be excellent in gather data in the littoral area of the world.

 Quest was also operated by civilian DND employees, not the Navy, for what it's worth.

Quest and her West Coast counterpart Endeavour were operated by the CFAV, with the research/hydrographic work being carried out by civilian personnel from D.R.C. and H.S.O., as required.

Good local news, but the 3 shipyards (Seaspan, Allied and VDC) are all going to be looking for the same people.

Allied Shipyards welcomes announcement of $2.5B in funding to build small Coast Guard vessels​

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans has announced it will build 61 smaller vessels at small and mid-sized shipyards

Carla Wilson and Jane SeydMay 27, 2023 11:57 AM

An announcement this week of $2.5 billion in federal funding for construction of dozens of small vessels for the Canadian Coast Guard is being welcomed by North Vancouver’s Allied Shipbuilders.

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans announced this week that federal funds will pay for construction of up to 61 small vessels.

According to the DFO, contracts for construction of the small vessels will be competitively tendered.

News about the new federal ships was welcomed by Allied Shipbuilders this week, where president Chuck Ko told Glacier Media the North Vancouver company is “absolutely” interested in building vessels for the Coast Guard.

Allied would be prepared to look at anything between 300 tonnes and just under 1,000 tonnes, he said.

As for the size of vessels Allied would be interested in, Ko pointed to the 54.7-metre CCGS Tanu, a fisheries patrol vessel, and the 39.7-metre CCGS Vector.

Allied is also hoping that contracts will include a large production run of lifeboats, he said.

According to the DFO, bidding on the smaller vessels will be open to smaller shipyards and suppliers across Canada, but will specifically exclude large shipyards like Seaspan, already building federal ships under the national shipbuilding strategy, in order to spread benefits to other companies in the marine industry.

Construction of the first small vessel to be built with this funding, a near shore fisheries research vessel, is expected to begin in the next one to two years.

Dave Hargreaves, senior vice-president of strategy, business development and communications at Seaspan Shipyards, one of the country’s few large shipbuilders, said his company is happy to see the announcement which will further strengthen the “vast Canadian supply chain that has already seen tremendous growth as a direct result of the [National Shipbuilding Strategy] large-vessel build programs.”

“It takes the combined efforts of a country-wide shipbuilding industry to rebuild a fleet, and all of Canada’s shipyards will be onboard.”

A government statement says the small vessels will “play an important role in the safety of mariners in Canadian waters and will support essential Canadian Coast Guard services and operations such as science research, aids to navigation, environmental response and search and rescue.”

The plan calls for:

• Six mid-shore, multi-mission vessels

• One near-shore fishery research vessel

• Sixteen specialty vessels consisting of two special NavAids vessels, four special shallow-draft buoy tenders, four inshore science vessels, four special enforcement vessels, and two lake-class vessels.

• Four air cushion vehicles

• Thirty-four Cape-class search and rescue lifeboats

The federal announcement follows B.C’s recent decision to allocate up to $25 million over three years to upgrade shipyards in the areas of shipbuilding, refit, repair and maintenance.

Good local news, but the 3 shipyards (Seaspan, Allied and VDC) are all going to be looking for the same people.

Allied Shipyards welcomes announcement of $2.5B in funding to build small Coast Guard vessels​

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans has announced it will build 61 smaller vessels at small and mid-sized shipyards

Carla Wilson and Jane SeydMay 27, 2023 11:57 AM

An announcement this week of $2.5 billion in federal funding for construction of dozens of small vessels for the Canadian Coast Guard is being welcomed by North Vancouver’s Allied Shipbuilders.

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans announced this week that federal funds will pay for construction of up to 61 small vessels.

According to the DFO, contracts for construction of the small vessels will be competitively tendered.

News about the new federal ships was welcomed by Allied Shipbuilders this week, where president Chuck Ko told Glacier Media the North Vancouver company is “absolutely” interested in building vessels for the Coast Guard.

Allied would be prepared to look at anything between 300 tonnes and just under 1,000 tonnes, he said.

As for the size of vessels Allied would be interested in, Ko pointed to the 54.7-metre CCGS Tanu, a fisheries patrol vessel, and the 39.7-metre CCGS Vector.

Allied is also hoping that contracts will include a large production run of lifeboats, he said.

According to the DFO, bidding on the smaller vessels will be open to smaller shipyards and suppliers across Canada, but will specifically exclude large shipyards like Seaspan, already building federal ships under the national shipbuilding strategy, in order to spread benefits to other companies in the marine industry.

Construction of the first small vessel to be built with this funding, a near shore fisheries research vessel, is expected to begin in the next one to two years.

Dave Hargreaves, senior vice-president of strategy, business development and communications at Seaspan Shipyards, one of the country’s few large shipbuilders, said his company is happy to see the announcement which will further strengthen the “vast Canadian supply chain that has already seen tremendous growth as a direct result of the [National Shipbuilding Strategy] large-vessel build programs.”

“It takes the combined efforts of a country-wide shipbuilding industry to rebuild a fleet, and all of Canada’s shipyards will be onboard.”

A government statement says the small vessels will “play an important role in the safety of mariners in Canadian waters and will support essential Canadian Coast Guard services and operations such as science research, aids to navigation, environmental response and search and rescue.”

The plan calls for:

• Six mid-shore, multi-mission vessels

• One near-shore fishery research vessel

• Sixteen specialty vessels consisting of two special NavAids vessels, four special shallow-draft buoy tenders, four inshore science vessels, four special enforcement vessels, and two lake-class vessels.

• Four air cushion vehicles

• Thirty-four Cape-class search and rescue lifeboats

The federal announcement follows B.C’s recent decision to allocate up to $25 million over three years to upgrade shipyards in the areas of shipbuilding, refit, repair and maintenance.
I’m from vancouver, and my opinion is that when the tide comes in, all boats float. Though I’m waiting for Davie to try and angle their way in. 😜

Under licence in Ontario, Hike Metals & Shipbuilding Limited, they built the current batch of AP1-88's. They are still in business. i feel so old, I remember them brand new and know going to be replaced.....
Stone throw from me. Drove around their shop once. Small but they have a good reputation around here. They police boats amd fireboats. Been to the marine lots on times. You can get fish. It's Pickell season.

Here is your trival answer of the day. They made the ferry for the shortest ferry crossing in the world. The 121 meter crossing at Billy Biship airport.

Stone throw from me. Drove around their shop once. Small but they have a good reputation around here. They police boats amd fireboats. Been to the marine lots on times. You can get fish. It's Pickell season.

Here is your trival answer of the day. They made the ferry for the shortest ferry crossing in the world. The 121 meter crossing at Billy Biship airport.
What ever happened to the Old Halifax Dartmouth Ferries Toronto bought?

Back