• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

Invalid comparison; there are specific ANSI and CSA standards that different glasses are tested to and which are empirically validated. Shaved vs jellied beards in SCBA is not comparable to Revision Sawfly vs Oakley M Frame ‘just because’.
Because every standard we have is based on performance instead of proscription*. :rolleyes: The military hasn't proscribed that equipment, therefore it's a valid comparison on that basis. No argument that one is based on a recognized tested performance basis by the CAF vs a new technology that hasn't been tested for CAF use yet.

*that wasn't a shot, it was more frustration from my day job!

Some of my work is at large construction sites. If there is a chemical hazard at that site (e.g. remediation of historic waste), workers may be required to wear respirators, SCBA or similar. No beards are permitted.

So it is one thing to tell a group of soldiers or sailors they have to be clean-shaved. Telling a bunch of 6'4" 350 lb construction workers who look like they belong in a biker gang that they have to remove their beards is a whole other kettle of worms. (Yes, they complained. Yes, they complied.)

SupersonicMax said:
I don’t care that little Joe has long blue hair with a weekend beard and long fake nails. I care that they do their job effectively and efficiently.

Agree about just being able to do ones job effectively.

Can I do my job effectively if I'm a young officer being sent to a middle eastern country as a liason and I look like a drag queen though?

It's one thing to rock blue hair and fake nails in a Cold Lake POL shed. How would that translate working with the USAF? Or Saudi Arabia?

The people at ADR are going to be busy dealing with complaints when members are told to dye their hair for operational reasons.

Agree about just being able to do ones job effectively.

Can I do my job effectively if I'm a young officer being sent to a middle eastern country as a liason and I look like a drag queen though?

It's one thing to rock blue hair and fake nails in a Cold Lake POL shed. How would that translate working with the USAF? Or Saudi Arabia?

The people at ADR are going to be busy dealing with complaints when members are told to dye their hair for operational reasons.
According to the presentation, there will be operational requirements caveats, which could apply in some situations.

Working with the USAF? I don’t think it’d be a problem at all…

Why should we restrict hair color and what not because in some situations, some people may be required to have a more neutral apparence?

According to the presentation, there will be operational requirements caveats, which could apply in some situations.

That was an intelligent caveat to include for sure. It will be interesting to see if and how that gets abused at home but over all it should mitigate a lot of potential issues.

Working with the USAF? I don’t think it’d be a problem at all…
Fair enough. Never met someone from the USAF.

Why should we restrict hair color and what not because in some situations, some people may be required to have a more neutral apparence?

Personally I don't consciously care how someone looks but also know it can impact someone's work in terms of how their peers, subordinates, superiors and especially outside agencies treat them.

We can say "so what, not our problem" but that's an over simplistic view because it can be a problem.

On the other hand maybe we'll be leaders in inclusion and diversity, and other western nations will follow our lead and relax their grooming and dress standards.

Having an ability for our CAF members to adapt/adopt a host countries grooming standards (beards in the ME, long hair in Norway, fake nails for Ibiza) is really smart.

On the other hand maybe we'll be leaders in inclusion and diversity, and other western nations will follow our lead and relax their grooming and dress standards.

Doubtful, other western nations have more pressing matters on their hands and that's actual national defense because of Putin. We relaxed fitness standards and are relaxing dress/appearance standards to get people through the door and it's not working. Overall we are an aimless and bored military with nothing to do but come up with creative ways to act busy. Some of the social media comments on this topic (not true north) have been pretty negative towards this change. It seems like the public is starting to realize we need guns and bullets, not nails and hair dye.

That was an intelligent caveat to include for sure. It will be interesting to see if and how that gets abused at home but over all it should mitigate a lot of potential issues.

Fair enough. Never met someone from the USAF.

Personally I don't consciously care how someone looks but also know it can impact someone's work in terms of how their peers, subordinates, superiors and especially outside agencies treat them.

We can say "so what, not our problem" but that's an over simplistic view because it can be a problem.

Having an ability for our CAF members to adapt/adopt a host countries grooming standards (beards in the ME, long hair in Norway, fake nails for Ibiza) is really smart.
So what you're saying is....

The Great Charles Taylor was ahead of his time?

gaej1x7eq2w71.jpg

We aren't leading the way in anything. The NPFL beat us to the punch by a couple of decades!

I can't wait to wear a life jacket in to battle. 🤣

Doubtful, other western nations have more pressing matters on their hands and that's actual national defense because of Putin. We relaxed fitness standards and are relaxing dress/appearance standards to get people through the door and it's not working. Overall we are an aimless and bored military with nothing to do but come up with creative ways to act busy. Some of the social media comments on this topic (not true north) have been pretty negative towards this change. It seems like the public is starting to realize we need guns and bullets, not nails and hair dye.

Aimeless, perhaps. Bored ? You're in the wrong service my friend. The East and West coast fleets are flat the F out.

You want something to do like deployments and travel ? Come join the RCN we will send you on deployments and travel until you cry uncle, and even then we won't stop.

You want them to be the first with purple hair and face tattoos?
I recall a few years ago hearing a story/legend/rumour about a LCol (apparently) who showed up for work with bright yellow hair in challenge to a NDHQ directive stating that hair could only be dyed in naturally occurring colours and was roundly chastised for it. He argued that yellow was "a naturally occurring colour" followed by "don't make stupid rules and then ask me to enforce them".

We relaxed fitness standards and are relaxing dress/appearance standards to get people through the door and it's not working.
Really? I've been out for almost four years now. Did the FORCE test get easier?

I recall a few years ago hearing a story/legend/rumour about a LCol (apparently) who showed up for work with bright yellow hair in challenge to a NDHQ directive stating that hair could only be dyed in naturally occurring colours and was roundly chastised for it. He argued that yellow was "a naturally occurring colour" followed by "don't make stupid rules and then ask me to enforce them".

lol Promote that person!

No. Some people just like to complain.

It’s hardly a metric for testing fitness, it was brought in purely because the old test was too hard and there were too many failures.

Aimeless, perhaps. Bored ? You're in the wrong service my friend. The East and West coast fleets are flat the F out.

You want something to do like deployments and travel ?
I get motion sickness pretty easily, plus steaming around on old rusty boats doesn’t seem like a good time. I’d be happy with a tool box, an aircraft and issued cot for 6 months.

It’s hardly a metric for testing fitness, it was brought in purely because the old test was too hard and there were too many failures.

I get motion sickness pretty easily, plus steaming around on old rusty boats doesn’t seem like a good time. I’d be happy with a tool box, an aircraft and issued cot for 6 months.
The old test was not harder. The issue is that it was a poor indicator of what was required. It was gender and age based which was absolutely ridiculous.

Back