• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Next of Kin Form for LTA

DB323334

Inactive
Reaction score
Good day,

I tried to claim LTA to see my Brother in July 2011, however the Director Compensation and Benefits Administration in Ottawa informed my Chief Clerk that since my parents are still alive I cannot make this claim. The email chain is below.

The ref they used is CBI 209.50 para 1B, the link will take you there http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pub/cbi-dra/209-eng.asp

My WO states that I can use anyone for my LTA, just put their name down on the new Next of Kin form.

My brother is on all my paperwork for my will, PEN, Next of Kin form, etc

Can I still get money for LTA.

Thank you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As stated below from Ottawa, you can not go to your brothers for your LTA.

If you have any questions please let me know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ref: CBI 209.50

IAW Para 1b of ref, the member is not entitled to go see his brother while claiming LTA as his parents are not deceased.

Good Day,

I would just like to clear up one issue that I have run into here with one of my members.
He would like to take an LTA this FY to his brothers house vice his parents, I know in the DCBA manual it says you can't if your parents are still alive.
The issue is he doesn't associate with his parents and has his brother on all his paper work as his NOK.

Please advise on how this can, if at all be done.

If I don't have the right person, do you know who I would contact for this matter?

DGCB enforces the rules; they are set by Treasury Board.  The rules are clear: you may only designate someone other than your parents (as a single member with no dependants) if your parents are deceased.

However, you may make a request through your chain of command for special consideration by the Minister (CBI 209.013 refers).  Were it me, I would write a memo through my chain of command requesting special consideration for reimbursement for travel to my brother instead of my parents for reasons X, Y and Z; I would also try to phrase it in a way that the document could be used as a blanket authority for me, otherwise I'd be resubmitting the memo every year.

209.013 - SPECIAL POWERS OF THE MINISTER

209.013(1) (Definition) In this instruction, "compensation" means all expenses and all benefits, whether primarily of a financial nature or not, established in this chapter.

209.013(2) (Power of the Minister) Where in this chapter an officer or non-commissioned member or a member’s dependants have not received compensation because the relevant circumstances, although not dissimilar to, were different from the circumstances established, the Minister may, if the Minister considers it would be equitable and consistent with the purpose of this chapter, approve the grant of all or part of that compensation.

Interesting. I know of a few instances during my time with Op Mobile where a single person changed their NOK form in theatre from their parents to a sibling so the sibling could utilize the reverse HLTA. They did not seem to have issues doing it. It was a multi-day process that went up a few levels of the CoC but I don't believe a memo was involved. I can only assume that the fact we didn't know if we would even be there long enough to qualify for and use an HLTA was one reason why they did not change their NOK before leaving in Canada.

The rules for LTA and HLTA are different.  You cannot compare the two.

The WO who said all you have to do is change your NOK form is absolutely wrong!  For one thing, it's not actually a "Next of Kin" form, it's a Personal Emergency Notification (PEN) form and although it can be used to identify next of kin in some cases, it is not definitive.

Submitting a memo through your chain of command may work, but your best bet if you really want to have your brother as your next of kin, may be to legally disown your parents, but talk to your local AJAG first to ensure you fully understand the implications and that this will actually accomplish your goal.

Actually it is a NOK form now.  That along with the emergency notification form have replaced the PEN form.

There is a new NOK form (because the forms people were apparently underemployed, I guess), but it does not apply for LTA.  LTA is dictated by the the rules in the CBI.

You have to have specific reasons for not naming your parents as NOK.  You can't pick a relative because they are further away.

Back