• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Operational Service Medal Announced

Patrolman

Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone heard if a medal is going to given to those who served on Op Halo? I know there was a lot of discussion on what medal would be the most appropriate. There was talk of awarding the SSM since Canada had participated in both the Multi International Force as well as the U.N. mission. I had had heard the SSM because in order to receive the U.N. medal you had to have served 90 days in theatre under the U.N. which no one had. I had also heard talk of GSM or the GCS but they couldn't  decide on which article the mission fell under.
The mission ended in August of 2004 and I haven't heard any talk about the subject for quite some time. Has the mission been forgotten? If anyone has any info on the subject it would be appreciated.

http://www.forces.ca/hr/cfpn/pdf/cfpn9_05_e.pdf

From the Assistant Deputy Minister (Human Resources – Military)
(ADM(HR-Mil)
If you have participated in any of the following operations, you are now eligible to
receive the Canadian Peacekeeping Service Medal:
 Op HALO, Multinational Interim Force (MIF) in Haiti, March 7 to May 30, 2004
 ONUCI, UN Operation in Ivory Coast, since April 4, 2004
 Op HAMLET, UN Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH), since June 1, 2004
 Op SAFARI, UN Advance Mission in Sudan (UNAMIS), July 2004 to March 23, 2005
 Op IOLAUS, UN Assistance Mission Iraq (UNAMI), since October 2, 2004
 Op BOREAS, EU Forces (EUFOR) in Bosnia, since December 2, 2004
You must have served a minimum of 30 days in-theatre (not necessarily
consecutive days) to qualify for the CPSM.
Read CANFORGEN 094/05 and references at http://vcds.dwan.dnd.ca/intro_e.asp

Thanks muffin I already have the CPSM for Bosnia. I am wondering about a medal for the mission itself. I know the U.N has approved a medal for  MINUSTAH,  but under its award criteria you must have served 90 days under the U.N. which no one did on Op Halo.

I read through the listings for GSM and SSM here

http://www.forces.gc.ca/hr/dhh/honours_awards/engraph/med1_e.asp?cat=3

and saw info on Afghanistan but nothing on Haiti - sorry.

muffin

Obviously I care. That is why I asked the question. I am sure there are many others who served on the mission who also care and would be interested if anyone has heard anything new on the subject.

I'm quite interested, but as with many others, I already have the CPSM, so I hope I don't lose out by not being eligible to receive a second version of the same medal.  Kind of takes away from the whole purpose.  But the terms of the mission: I don't understand why CPSM for HALO (as part of the MIF, not as part of MINUSTAH).

Personally I don't think that MIF, especially the first couple of weeks was peacekeeping.  Now I know that its not final but they have authorized the wearing of the MINUSTAH UN medal, for those I believe 2 or 3 pers left with the HQ.  I remember the Contingent Commander saying the worst they can do is award a SSM with bar but it appears even less effort can be exerted than that.  Now unless someone kicks this up, I can see the awards committee leaving it at a CPSM for those that don't already have it and thats it.

Oh well, c'est la vie.  Good to see 430 ETAH got a Commendation for the mission...

D

Right now it looks like the only medal that could be awarded under the current reg is the CPSM (30 day cumulative service)

The SSM could be issued if the mission was declared a Humanitarian mission which requires only 30 Days.

If it is declared a peacekeeping mission then 180 days are required for SSM with the Peace Bar.

Now unless someone kicks this up, I can see the awards committee leaving it at a CPSM for those that don't already have it and thats it.

This is the key, somebody, higher in the food chain, has to fight for it. And it can happen e.g. Op Assurance for Rwanda, Awarded the SSM w/Humanitarian Clasp.

OK, how high up the food chain must one be to fight for a distinctive MIF medal?  Where do I submit my memo?

Well, General Baril was the Commander of Op Assurance and then the medal was issued when he was CDS.

vonGarvin said:
OK, how high up the food chain must one be to fight for a distinctive MIF medal?  Where do I submit my memo?
Grunt_031 said:
Well, General Baril was the Commander of Op Assurance and then the medal was issued when he was CDS.

You're......almost high enough. I think you're ready for CDS today vonG, but give it another year, tops    ;D

Just read this thread.

I just sent a query to NDHQ last month to query/obtain status of medal for Op Halo MIF personnel as I receive queries on this item quite often as a normal course of my daily duties.

I was sent a response/update as to the current status but am now at home so can not confirm as to what 'exactly' was said.

IAW the update that I recd I do know that the only medal personnel who served on Op Halo MIF are currently awarded/authorized to wear is the CPSM.

Tomorrow at work I will confirm exactly what was stated as to the status/update of the awarding of mission specific award and will post the latest status on this into this thread.

RUMINT
I heard from "a guy" at work today (no names, no pack drill) that a MIF-Specific medal is in the works in addition to the CPSM.  Don't quote me on this, but I just like supplementing fact with hope sometimes :D

vonGarvin said:
RUMINT
I heard from "a guy" at work today (no names, no pack drill) that a MIF-Specific medal is in the works in addition to the CPSM.  Don't quote me on this, but I just like supplementing fact with hope sometimes :D

Read my post again....I mentioned that I had an update for the Op Halo MIF mission specific recognition...but that I would not post until I confirmed exactly what the response that I got from NDHQ stated.

When I got to work tomorrow I will consult NDHQs response and post the updated info.

armyvern said:
Read my post again....I mentioned that I had an update for the Op Halo MIF mission specific recognition...but that I would not post until I confirmed exactly what the response that I got from NDHQ stated.
When I got to work tomorrow I will consult NDHQs response and post the updated info.
D'oh.  Sorry bout that.  I must have posted without thinking.....again  :-[

The reason why I had posted this question was because for aproximately the last 60 days of the mission we under MINUSTAH which has a medal for those serving 90 days. I had thought that maybe since an entire Task Force was there maybe they would change the criteria since there were so many involved.

I think the biggest problem lies in the fact that there were two Infantry companies that served on this mission. The first under the MIF. The second under MINUSTAH. Then there were some who served on both. I believe the majority of the Support element stayed throughout . I served in the second rifle company under MINUSTAH untilour mission ended in August.

It is for this reason why the SSM seemed to make sense. Everyone would get the same medal regardless of which organization they served under. Point to note the commander of the Task Force recieved the CMM or the OMM for his work on the mission.

Patrolman said:
Point to note the commander of the Task Force recieved the CMM or the OMM for his work on the mission.
IMHO, it was well-deserved, and not the only commendation issued for individual performance during Op HALO: two MCpls in I Coy Gp received commendations, of the CDS variety, I believe, but not certain.

Just to clarify, I think it was well deserved as well. He was an excellent leader. I wasn't trying to say he got a medal an I didn't wah, wah. Well deserved indeed.

Back