• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

new recruit with a few questions

doubleRR

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been on here a while looking up old topics and answers to questions I have had, I could not find a more specific answer to my question.  Just a little back ground on myself I applied September 2012 as DEO Pilot, Log Officer, Int Officer. passed the CFAT for all 3 trades.  Now I need to send out my medical papers and hopefully get an interview soon.

The few questions I have are in regard to laser eye surgery and being a Pilot.  My vision is a V2 maybe on the edge of being a V3 ill know once I get my eyes checked, hopefully within the next few weeks.  I understand the risks of getting this operation done and hindering my application as a Pilot but the questions I have is more for current or former Pilots who have had the procedure done and which method you went with and why?  Some of the companies I have seen are LASIK MD, but from my understanding the flap that is part of the procedure can cause complications and that is why some people who get it done can no longer become a Pilot.  Another company that I was referred to was focus eye centre based in Ottawa and Kingston.  Apparently they use a much saver and proven procedure, Intralase SBK and PRK. If anyone has had dealings with these companies I would appreciate your review of it, just trying to get as much info on it as possible. I am in no rush right now, I have a considerable student loan that I want to take a huge chunk out of before I can get into BMOQ.
Anyone who would like to give a response but not put it in the open you can privately message me if that works better.

I also have an question out of curiosity. A few days ago someone asked a question regarding Pilots who wish to apply for JTF-2.  I know there are helicopter pilots who are JTF-2 members, but the question was can a Pilot, jet or helicopter, apply as an assaulter?  Again this is just out of curiosity, I know my focus should be on getting my paper work done and actually getting into the forces but it was also a question I thought about before too.

Thanks for any help
King

I cant give you any answers for your questions about the trades you have chosen, but I can tell you my experience with eye surgery.

I had PRK done a year ago. I chose PRK because I felt it was a safer route then getting the Lasik and having a flap cut into my eye. The procedure itself was maybe 10 minutes and had no issues. The recovery was a bit rough, about 10 days before I could see with 20/20 vision. My application was put on hold for 3 months ( really 6 months after all my paperwork was signed off on ). I had to get my doctor to sign my papers saying I was good to go and then my local RC had to send my medical papers to Ottawa for them to okay them.

I do know that if you want to be a pilot then you have to have (near)perfect vision. If you think you could be a V3 then I don't think that'll qualify you for Pilot, from what I can remember. They wont tell you that you HAVE to get the eye surgery, but they will tell you that you wont qualify for that specific trade. I made the choice for myself to get it done because I knew that if I didn't then there would be no way to do what I wanted to do for my career.

My friend had the Lasik done and his recovery time was much quicker than mine. I think it comes down to personal preference. Also, if your cornea isn't thick enough then you wont even qualify for PRK. I was told at the time of my medical that if I had Lasik then my application could have been put on hold for 6 months instead of 3 because there could be complications with the flap.

Whatever choice you make, just make sure you are well informed on all your options :)

I will throw in a comment since I am also considering laser eye surgery very shortly. If I qualify for it, I would only consider getting PRK. I think any person who is physically active who qualifies for it, should get PRK if they are planning to get laser eye surgery. The recovery time is longer and the local place near me that offers it says the recovery has a higher chance of being painful, but not unbearably so, just isn't gonna feel good for a couple days. I also think PRK is more expensive, but when we are talking about an investment like this, even if it does add another $1,000, that shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Here is some more info:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/CFP-PFC-154/AN-E-eng.asp

Pilot needs V2 at least.

But of course, before you pull the trigger on this decision, definitely try to set an appointment with med staff at your local recruiting center or at least run everything by them over the phone and get their opinion and the latest information they have.

JM2345 said:
I will throw in a comment since I am also considering laser eye surgery very shortly. If I qualify for it, I would only consider getting PRK. I think any person who is physically active who qualifies for it, should get PRK if they are planning to get laser eye surgery. The recovery time is longer and the local place near me that offers it says the recovery has a higher chance of being painful, but not unbearably so, just isn't gonna feel good for a couple days. I also think PRK is more expensive, but when we are talking about an investment like this, even if it does add another $1,000, that shouldn't be a deciding factor.

Here is some more info:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/CFP-PFC-154/AN-E-eng.asp

I absolutely agree with everything you said.
Price, I think, depends on where you go.

I went to a place in Niagara Falls, cost me $4000.00  for PRK. My buddy went to a place in Ottawa and his was over $5000.00 for Lasik.

Pilot needs V2 at least.

But of course, before you pull the trigger on this decision, definitely try to set an appointment with med staff at your local recruiting center or at least run everything by them over the phone and get their opinion and the latest information they have.

PRK isn't really 'painful'. After the laser-bit, they toss in a blank contact-lens so your blinking isn't rubbing over freshly-blasted cornea. Procedure itself is absolutely painless, but when freezing drops wear off, just feels like you've got a grain of sand or eyelash in your eye. Not debilitating, but most definitely UN-comfortable. I don't recommend trying to go back to work, let's put it that way. Three days on T-3's, and you're good to go...  about the same as when I had all 4 wisdom teeth out in one go.

After my PRK I had 20/40 (legal driving vision) in 48 hrs, and certified 20/20 in 14 days. Some people can get 'halos' around lights at night-time for up to two years post-surgery, usually mild. Luckily I didn't have any. Unless you've got some whacky complications, shouldn't be any issue getting you to V1.

As always, check latest on DND site, or Recruiting Center to see about surgical procedures that the Forces is allowing for Pilot...  then, as previous posters noted, gotta go see Opto-guy to see which procedure you may even be a candidate for.  Not so simple as picking your favorite!

Either way, it'll change your life. I had mine in '94 when I was just 19. For an active young fella, can't imagine the freedom NOT having to wear glasses/contacts provides!  (this was back in the days BEFORE these 14-day disposable contacts!  lol) Water skiing, SCUBA, hockey, etc... just awesome!  Told friends at university "Sell your CAR and get this done!"

Good luck, and enjoy!

MP_HOPEFUL said:
I went to a place in Niagara Falls, cost me $4000.00  for PRK. My buddy went to a place in Ottawa and his was over $5000.00 for Lasik.

Yeah definitely shop around and try to talk to people you know who have had the procedures. $5000 for lasik sounds like a lot but I guess it all depends where you go. I am expecting PRK to cost about $4,000 too here in BC. But hey, give or take $1,000 when we are talking about something as important as being able to SEE properly, it's a lot of money but you want it done right. That actually reminds me I know someone who had the surgery done gonna call them up tomorrow and see if its the place I am looking in to! :)

I had Lasik done about 7 years ago.  Did it Lasik MD.  $1300 per eye.  All the other clinics were trying to stab each other in the back bashing the competition when I called.  I'm not trying to scare anyone.  Do your homework.

Cost was a deciding factor and Lasik MD was to my knowledge 100% straight forward with me.  I had multiple eye exams, multiple follow up appointments.  The doctor who did my surgery, Was a University of Toronto professor, M.D. and eye surgeon.  He had a another credential I can't remember now.

I had some pain for 2 weeks in my right eye.  Saw halo's for 5 or 6 days.  Street lamps and head lights at night.  Had to be gentile for about 3 weeks.  The results were immediate with the Lasik route.

If my memory serves me correctly.  I seem to recall them recommending PRK as a secondary option.  Not the primary one.  One reason was Pain.  Secondly There was some technical data they had to review from the tests before advising which method is best.

Astigmatism and lens thickness and level of blindness play a role in what choices you have for surgery.

The initial tests and paperwork and pricing was free along with the consultation at Lasik MD at that time.  My suggestion is check them out and see what they have to say.

I was a instant 20/15, then my eyes healed I score 20/20 and my vision is still stable today.

Thanks for the responses.

My mother had laser eye surgery about 12 or more years ago and she is now back to wearing glasses so this is why I am trying to hear what other peoples experiences are with the surgery and results. 

When I got my eyes checked for the first time the medical officer/nurse, cannot remember what she was, said that I might not qualify for Pilot once I get my eyes check by an Optometrists.  I know I need at least a V2 and she told me that if I do not qualify that she cannot recommend getting eye surgery as there is no guarantee that I will be accepted after the surgery.  My eyes are not that bad but due to my astigmatism, objects are not as sharp or clear as they should/can be.  Even if I get the surgery and cannot go on with trying to be a Pilot I would rather not have to rely on glasses or contacts and from a lot of your responses you have not had any problems so I am encouraged by the results.

From some of the people I have talked to, the local recruiting office, the decision makers in Ottawa will have final say of my processing based on the test results.  I think I will get the paper work done first with my eyes how they are now and see what Ottawa says about it.  If I do not get processed I think I would still have time to wait as, based on other peoples posts, Int O is closed for the year and I think I will drop Log O from my application.  It did not appeal to me as much as I thought it would.  This will give me more time to go over my options.

doubleRR said:
If I do not get processed I think I would still have time to wait as, based on other peoples posts, Int O is closed for the year and I think I will drop Log O from my application.  It did not appeal to me as much as I thought it would.  This will give me more time to go over my options.

Not sure how old you are, but I think you are making the right decision dropping LogO from your application if it isn't appealing to you. Entering as an officer is a huge commitment, and even if you need to wait that extra year to try to get something you think you would enjoy more, it seems like that is the right thing to do. In the mean time, you can always do further research on other trades and something might jump out that you never even thought of, and if not, you can stick with the choices you really want.

No matter what you end up doing in life, military or civilian, I think the eye surgery is a good thing to consider strongly. Things has changed a lot even just in the last few years. If you have spare time, try to call around and see what places offer free consultations and tell them about your mothers experience, and ask them about improvements in the last few years. No need to make any huge decisions right away. :)

doubleRR said:
Thanks for the responses.

My mother had laser eye surgery about 12 or more years ago and she is now back to wearing glasses so this is why I am trying to hear what other peoples experiences are with the surgery and results. 

When I got my eyes checked for the first time the medical officer/nurse, cannot remember what she was, said that I might not qualify for Pilot once I get my eyes check by an Optometrists.  I know I need at least a V2 and she told me that if I do not qualify that she cannot recommend getting eye surgery as there is no guarantee that I will be accepted after the surgery.  My eyes are not that bad but due to my astigmatism, objects are not as sharp or clear as they should/can be.  Even if I get the surgery and cannot go on with trying to be a Pilot I would rather not have to rely on glasses or contacts and from a lot of your responses you have not had any problems so I am encouraged by the results.

From some of the people I have talked to, the local recruiting office, the decision makers in Ottawa will have final say of my processing based on the test results.  I think I will get the paper work done first with my eyes how they are now and see what Ottawa says about it.  If I do not get processed I think I would still have time to wait as, based on other peoples posts, Int O is closed for the year and I think I will drop Log O from my application.  It did not appeal to me as much as I thought it would.  This will give me more time to go over my options.

I passed my medical with Lasik.  Also check for waiting times.  Some institutions, I don't know if it apples to the Forces.  Require a 6 months waiting period and a follow up eye exam.

As for glasses are they reading glasses?  Eye surgery does NOT correct your close up vision.  It only corrects refractive issues.  It cleans up the surface and curve of your eyeball so light shines through and hits the correct location of the retina. Thereby restoring your long distance vision.  They actually burn the surface smooth (smells awful too lol)  For up close it has to do with a aging eyeball,  the muscle becomes weaker as we get older eventually the majority of people hit a point in their 40's and 50's where they struggle to read a book.  That part cannot be fixed with Lasik.

JM2345 said:
Not sure how old you are, but I think you are making the right decision dropping LogO from your application if it isn't appealing to you. Entering as an officer is a huge commitment, and even if you need to wait that extra year to try to get something you think you would enjoy more, it seems like that is the right thing to do.

I just turned 25, so I am not young or old yet.  When I talked to the Captain at my recruiting center he said to not included any trade you cannot see yourself doing for the next 5-25 years.  It takes up space for someone that wants to take that trade.  I was thinking of switching it to Intelligence O but he also said that there was no openings, at the time.  I am just trying to get all the info as I can, I think my mother might have just had a bad experience with it.  It seems a lot more people have had positive out comes with it and I feel that the technology has come a long way since she hard hers.

kevincanada said:
I passed my medical with Lasik.  Also check for waiting times.  Some institutions, I don't know if it apples to the Forces.  Require a 6 months waiting period and a follow up eye exam.

As for glasses are they reading glasses?

I will look into that.  I know there is a waiting time but I do not know how long it is, but if getting the surgery and waiting will allow me to purse my goal of becoming a Pilot I think it will be worth it. 

No the glasses are not for reading.  objects at distances are slightly blurry and not that detailed due to my astigmatism, I think that is all thats wrong with me vision. 

I just received and accepted an offer for Pilot in the June 24th selection.  I will be off to BMOQ in late August.

I had PRK done about two years ago.  I was informed that PRK is the best procedure for pilots.  Although the recovery process is a little longer, and more painful, there is no flap involved.  I had my procedure done at Focus Eye Centre by Dr. Edminson.  He is world renowned, and has performed thousands of procedures.  Both my parents had PRK done by Dr. Edminson, and 12 years later have had no issues.  I paid $4200 in total (regular price was $4700, but I received $500 off because I received a discount due to the fact that my parents had also gone to the same clinic).  After DRDC, I was informed that I was V1, and my vision is slightly better than 20/20. 

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.  But I would certainly recommend the procedure.

Paul

Back