• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New US Army Basic Training Concept

Not 100% all the screaming to be gone but...

Good.

There's a place for some judicious shouting in recruit training, of course, but the gratuitous 'Screaming in the face while knife handing' stuff is absurd IMHO.

What are your thoughts on this Kev?
I think it's a welcome change - as @daftandbarmy points out there really is no need for gratuitous abuse.
Furthermore seeing some new intakes at Benning, more PT is a welcome thing that will help those troops more in life (even beyond the Army).

I agree with both of you.

(Although I will admit I find myself using knife hand on a daily basis… instead of pointing with my finger I use knife hand by default now)

When I was younger, and all that I had seen was recruit classes according to Hollywood, I thought the gratuitous amount of yelling and PT was an important component turning recruits into real soldiers.

And there is a component of that.

But I agree, more PT & more time spent learning will ultimately be of more value than just getting screamed at ‘just because…’

I agree with both of you.

(Although I will admit I find myself using knife hand on a daily basis… instead of pointing with my finger I use knife hand by default now)

When I was younger, and all that I had seen was recruit classes according to Hollywood, I thought the gratuitous amount of yelling and PT was an important component turning recruits into real soldiers.

And there is a component of that.

But I agree, more PT & more time spent learning will ultimately be of more value than just getting screamed at ‘just because…’
One can induce a lot of stress without screaming.
Most Armies waste a slew of time on unless things simply because "it's always been done that way"

Back