• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Next Iteration of the Naval Warfare Officer Rebranding

Looking at their sailing schedule, nope. They are entirely booked out to support training months in advance. Reserve units on long weekends, NWO 3 and 4 courses. Nav course. Command development course. Bosn training. Dive training. MCDV's on both coasts have been freed to do missions instead of courses (Carib, Africa, Arctic, Hawaii, Mexico, Norway).

Sometimes they support work ups as OPFOR but the YAG's did that as well. What the problem was the MCDVs were treated as training vessels not the other way around.

Honestly the Orca's are perfect.

I see them beavering about around Victoria and Haro Strait occasionally during various kayak trips.

They look pretty sturdy, even in marginal conditions, and aren't hard to pick out from a distance. This is comforting 'just in case someone' needs assistance :)

Next to the new rain coats, the Orcas have to have been the biggest "win" in naval procurement in the last two decades. They get so much bang for their buck. When I was working for NAVRES, we kept telling Comd NAVRES that we needed to put two ORCAs on the great lakes and that they would get used constantly!

Next to the new rain coats, the Orcas have to have been the biggest "win" in naval procurement in the last two decades. They get so much bang for their buck. When I was working for NAVRES, we kept telling Comd NAVRES that we needed to put two ORCAs on the great lakes and that they would get used constantly!

Tell me more

Intensifies Starship Troopers GIF

Tell me more

Intensifies Starship Troopers GIF
They aren't exactly "new" as they came in around 2013/2014. But, they are both functional AND they look good. Plus even though they aren't supposed to be "winter weather gear" I don't know a single person who prefers the navy Gortex parka over the "black rain coat" in the winter. Plus! You can wear them with both NCDs AND DEUs. So, add versatile. Oh and they come with matching and equally as good pants.

They aren't exactly "new" as they came in around 2013/2014. But, they are both functional AND they look good. Plus even though they aren't supposed to be "winter weather gear" I don't know a single person who prefers the navy Gortex parka over the "black rain coat" in the winter. Plus! You can wear them with both NCDs AND DEUs. So, add versatile. Oh and they come with matching and equally as good pants.
Aren't they just the Army raincoats, but in black?

Aren't they just the Army raincoats, but in black?
Nope. They are the airforce raincoats with some different pockets. In black.

Not to be confused with the "refueling gear" which is the thin blue raincoats/pants normally used for deck work or refueling as they are designed to not care too much about getting dirty or spilling things on them.

even though they aren't supposed to be "winter weather gear" I don't know a single person who prefers the navy Gortex parka over the "black rain coat" in the winter.

Even better with the new floater jacket flannel lining you can wear that inside the raincoat and it's almost as good as the parka when it really gets cold. Raincoat takes the wind, flannel keeps the heat.

Not to be confused with the "refueling gear" which is the thin blue raincoats/pants normally used for deck work or refueling as they are designed to not care too much about getting dirty or spilling things on them.

Even better with the new floater jacket flannel lining you can wear that inside the raincoat and it's almost as good as the parka when it really gets cold. Raincoat takes the wind, flannel keeps the heat.
And it's waterproof! The parka is neither wind nor rain proof, which means whoever designed it had never spent any time in Halifax during the winter.

Of course not: The parka was designed for Ottawa sailors. Heck! When I was in Halifax , I wore the Canex windbreaker over the black sweater all winter long and it was more than enough.

What the problem was the MCDVs were treated as training vessels not the other way around.

Well, that's unbelievable considering the 12 MCDV's were acquired to replace the exact same number of training vessels* - as training vessels replacements - operational capability was a second order task. Go figure?

*: HMCS's CHALEUR, CHIGNECTO, MIRAMICHI, THUNDER, COWICHAN, FUNDY, PORTE DAUPHINE, PORTE ST JEAN, PORTE ST LOUIS, PORTE QUEBEC, PORTE DE LA REINE, and, FORT STEELE.

I remember being utterly shocked and pleased as they were armed, I saw that as a shift in thinking from the Gates vessels.

Well, that's unbelievable considering the 12 MCDV's were acquired to replace the exact same number of training vessels* - as training vessels replacements - operational capability was a second order task. Go figure?

*: HMCS's CHALEUR, CHIGNECTO, MIRAMICHI, THUNDER, COWICHAN, FUNDY, PORTE DAUPHINE, PORTE ST JEAN, PORTE ST LOUIS, PORTE QUEBEC, PORTE DE LA REINE, and, FORT STEELE.

I said it was a problem. Not that it wasn't the plan! :LOL:

lol I actually like and frequently use my "Goretex" parka, and Im in Halifax. I find the black rain coat stiff and uncomfortable. But Ive had the same parka since 2001 lol so its well worked in.

Ok. I think there's a bit of misunderstanding - the Army ones I'm referring to are very similar to the RCAF ones but with sleeve pockets and velcro, a velcro strip for your nametag, and a velcro strip for the Canadian flag. Both Army and RCAF rain jackets have reflective strips.

You're talking about the ones described above, right?

I see them beavering about around Victoria and Haro Strait occasionally during various kayak trips.

They look pretty sturdy, even in marginal conditions, and aren't hard to pick out from a distance. This is comforting 'just in case someone' needs assistance :)
From what I have seen they are ok. They have a wet bow in heavy weather and are not super stable in any kind of sea or high wind. They have a large superstructure, which makes them top heavy and prone to effect from wind- doing hoisting even with a Sea King, we were able to stop one dead in the water with our rotor down wash and spin it through 180 degrees. They seem to be going through a bad run of serviceability, lately. Since they are maintained by contractors, it could just be a COVID related thing.

Ok. I think there's a bit of misunderstanding - the Army ones I'm referring to are very similar to the RCAF ones but with sleeve pockets and velcro, a velcro strip for your nametag, and a velcro strip for the Canadian flag. Both Army and RCAF rain jackets have reflective strips.

You're talking about the ones described above, right?
I was being a bit tongue in cheek. The army and airforce both got CAPAT jackets around the same time with the cut you described. The Airforce ones had better material and were more "dressy" as they were not required to be worn in the field.

The RCN copied the airforce ones with a slight cut modification and thicker rainproofing material.

But yah, basically the same thing as the army ones. And they are amazing. Toque, gloves, sea combat jacket underneath, long johns and that jacket/rainpants combo easily take me down to -20 with windchill in relative comfort. And I'm a wuss when it comes to cold.

Raincoats as winter dress with a toque for the win!
Don't forget the gloves. I returned a salute as I was heading out of the CANEX and hadn't put my gloves on yet. The PO1 gleefully pointed out I was out of dress (it was obvious I was about to put them on, hence the mirth at my situation).

Back