• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NTO Training and NSS

EnchantedEng

Reaction score
What are the expected impacts on NTO / NTNCM / NTNCOs' trades training, job requirements and job description with respect to the National Shipbuilding Strategy's expansion and extension of the RCN Fleet?

New ships are being built to Enhance Arctic Operational Capability (Harry DeWolf Class), and to replace current Frigates (CSC), but how are current and Future Technical Members and Officers of the RCN Being prepared for the changes that will happen with respect to training, maybe needing several more Technical members and more?

PS: NTO (Naval Technical Officer)/ NTNCM (Naval Technical Non Commissioned Member) / NTNCO (Naval Technical Non-Commissioned Officer) feel free to correct my abbreviations.

I can't reply to the specifics of the question but can add some perspective.

In the 1980s there was a huge recruitment drive for marine engineering officers (MARE).  I was part of that.  This surge in recruiting and training was based on perceived requirements in the future.

All during my training I faced over-crowded facilities, limited sea billets and big classes. 

Well, the perceived requirement never materialized.  Suddenly there were too many MAREs.  There was something called the "MARE Get Well" program (immediately renamed by those in the know as the "MARE get lost" program).  Incentives to leave the navy were offered through a Force Reduction Program.  Facing a bleak future and with the incentive to leave, I left. 

So I guess this is just going around again.

stoker dave said:
I can't reply to the specifics of the question but can add some perspective.

In the 1980s there was a huge recruitment drive for marine engineering officers (MARE).  I was part of that.  This surge in recruiting and training was based on perceived requirements in the future.

All during my training I faced over-crowded facilities, limited sea billets and big classes. 

Well, the perceived requirement never materialized.  Suddenly there were too many MAREs.  There was something called the "MARE Get Well" program (immediately renamed by those in the know as the "MARE get lost" program).  Incentives to leave the navy were offered through a Force Reduction Program.  Facing a bleak future and with the incentive to leave, I left. 

So I guess this is just going around again.

Thanks Stoker Dave, I have no information on what is being done to prepare the RCN. I'm just poking around. I do agree that, hiring more is not always the best decision. I just believe this is being considered and not just left to be dealt with after delivery.

Back