• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ontario Majority Government 2022-2026

hmm I would have though that Provincial cabinets would be covered as well. I would guess that should it move them a Province would fight that as well. Is not the Prime Minister only the first amongst equals?

hmm I would have though that Provincial cabinets would be covered as well. I would guess that should it move them a Province would fight that as well. Is not the Prime Minister only the first amongst equals?
It appears only for matters covered by provincial statute, not federal criminal legislation. Re: PM as first amongst equals - practically he is still head of the representation of all provinces under the federal system of representation, so not a peer of the premiers. In theory, within the Westminster System, the PM is lead representative of the members of parliament in whom the majority of the House of Commons gives their confidence.

hmm I would have though that Provincial cabinets would be covered as well.
This bit I’m confident on: the law that protects federal cabinet confidence from court disclosure is the Canada Evidence Act, specifically section 39. It absolutely doesn’t extend that coverage to provincial cabinet. I’m just not aware of whether something else does for purposes of federal law; I don’t think so, but I’m not certain.

Anyway, sorry, I’m being a law nerd and creating an unnecessary tangent.

... Anyway, sorry, I’m being a law nerd and creating an unnecessary tangent.
No worries - this element could be important to know about depending on how things unfold.

Time to start the clock?

HeadLettuce.jpg

So far, Ontario's Integrity Commish says not enough there to ding the Premier re: the developers at the wedding parties ....
... In consideration of the evidence gathered during that inquiry as well as the analysis about the allegations and the obligations under the Act provided in the interim report of March 16, 2023, Commissioner Wake has determined that there are insufficient grounds to warrant an inquiry as to whether the premier has contravened the Act with respect to the two wedding events ...
Archived link here - report attached.

And as others predicted, the environmentalists add to the stew ....

Attachments

• Report Re Premier Ford - September 21, 2023.pdf
    417.3 KB · Views: 0
Interesting development on the health services front .....
The province will soon be expanding the prescribing powers of Registered Nurses who complete additional training, allowing them to provide Ontarians with birth control, travel medications, and vaccinations such as the flu shot and COVID-19 vaccine. Speaking to reporters on Monday, Ontario Health Minister Sylvia Jones announced that starting in January 2024, Registered Nurses (RNs) who complete the training programs will be able to prescribe medications for contraception, immunizations, smoking cessation, and topical wound care in a variety of settings, including long-term care homes and retirement homes ...
Various Ontario governments have been trying to shave away the (alleged?) influence Big Doctor has on the system by offering some alternatives (like nurse-practitioner-led clinics and expanding prescribing powers for pharmacists), especially with folks in a lot of areas outside the 416/905 without access to a family doc. Yet another option looks like it'll be out there soon.

Well, that's one way to get more immigrants employed more quickly ....
More straight from the horse's mouth
The Ontario government will soon introduce legislation that, if passed, would make it the first province in Canada to help even more internationally-trained immigrants work in the fields they’ve studied in by banning the use of Canadian work experience as a requirement in job postings or application forms. This change would help more qualified candidates progress in the interview process and follows historic legislation to prohibit regulated professions from requiring discriminatory Canadian work experience requirements in licensing for more than 30 occupations, which comes into effect December 2023.

“For far too long, too many people arriving in Canada have been funnelled toward dead-end jobs they’re overqualified for. We need to ensure these people can land well-paying and rewarding careers that help tackle the labour shortage,” said David Piccini, Minister of Labour, Immigration, Training and Skills Development. “When newcomers to Ontario get a meaningful chance to contribute, everyone wins.” ...

Attachments

• SCC-Information_and_Privacy_Commissioner_of_Ontario-en.pdf
    483.3 KB · Views: 0
A little something for the hospitality sector ....

A band aid on an arterial bleed, sadly...

After withstanding the once in a lifetime pummeling of the COVID-19 pandemic, Canada's restaurant industry is still in dire straits and many businesses are in danger of going under.

That's the main takeaway from a recent report from Restaurants Canada, which found that despite surviving the depths of the pandemic, the outlook for the industry as a whole looks bleak.

Total spending at restaurants is on track to top $110 billion this year, a 10 per cent increase from the previous year's level, but costs are up by even more, which is pushing many to the brink of insolvency.

A few recent snippets: lower-than-forecast deficit .....
"Ontario Releases 2023–24 Third Quarter Finances" (ON info-machine)

... no more wage cap legislation ...

... and "Thanks, PMJT, for the health cash"
"Cutting Wait Times, Delivering Better Health Care in Ontario" (ON info-machine)

Class action suit under way against Team Blue Ontario over guaranteed income pilot project ....
Court decision on certifying the class action here (7 page PDF).

Back