• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

over time

hathway

Reaction score
I am working with civilians in my unit. When we work together, civilians receive overtime pay, but military members do not. I understand that as a military member, we do not receive overtime pay. However, I was also informed that we do not receive time off in lieu of overtime because military members are considered to be working 24/7. Is this true? I would like to know more about this.

I am working with civilians in my unit. When we work together, civilians receive overtime pay, but military members do not. I understand that as a military member, we do not receive overtime pay. However, I was also informed that we do not receive time off in lieu of overtime because military members are considered to be working 24/7. Is this true? I would like to know more about this.
You are also paid for weekends not worked, which your civilian counterparts are not.

It's calculated into your pay as part of the "military factor".

Overtime​

Compensation for times when members are required to work extra hours due to operational requirements. Regular and Reserve Force members below the rank of Colonel receive acting pay. Members at the rank of Colonel or above are benchmarked off the Public Service Executive and do not receive overtime.

1721238524349.png

but you are not paid to work 24/7 you are paid to be available for work 24/7 dependant on the work hours needed. Your CO is supposed to establish a work schedule based on a normal work week which in Canada is 40 hours. Overtime is in the pay based on an occasional occurrence not part of the scheduled work week.

Last unit that tried this with me a good number of years ago suddenly found I was no longer available during my lunch hour or supper time or any other time that was not in the schedule they decided to issue. End result was that I was actually working less hours along with a disproportion amount of work output. There is a reason we do not work just office hours when everyone else is around to disturb/distract us. They also found that the higher HQ was suddenly interested in what was going on and issued a work schedule that was greatly different everyone was to follow.

Back