• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Passwording Computers on a home network

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, my landlord supplies the internet here as he lives up stairs, but it is on a network to multiple rooms in the house, I have my house computer and my and my wife's laptops networked for ease of transferring files music etc. but I notice tonight that I can see the landlords computer so he can see mine. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to password our computers so we can still access them but the landlord can't (not that I think he will but would rather have a password for peace of mind), and we also need to be able to print still as well, my printer is connected to the house computer and we print through it.  Any help would be appreciated thank you.

Do you have PCs or Apples? What is the Operating System?...

If Windows XP, In a pinch you can always just change permissions on the main disk - go into explorer go to "my computer" and right click on the "C" drive, go to properties, and sharing... You can disallow anyone from changing your files until we sort out the rest of the job for ya

Let us know what you are running

More information is needed..

Wireless or Wired network?
Who owns the router (Box that all computers connect to - if wireless, it usually has an antenna or two on it)?

But more importantly -
Are you asking about putting a password on the internet connection,
or are you just worried about other people looking at your files?

If you are all connected in one big happy network, most likely you can see the other computers - but you can't see in them. (I am oversimplifying here)

You actually have to set them up to be able to access eachother's files. It actually warns you when you try to do this.
Simple test - see if you can look at the files on the other computers, rather then seeing the other computers. If you can't see the files on their computers, most likely the network was not set up with everybody's files shared. (Again, very much simplifying things - I just quit my job doing this, and I don't want to explain in too much detail  :blotto:)

Hope this helps, you can pm if you need any more help.

[Edit: BLAST! Foiled again by slow typing at an early hour... So - what he said.]

If you are networked, you should see the computers that are on that network, but unless you have gone into your Drives and Files to set them up as 'Shared' you should be OK.  You should also have a Firewall to keep others out. 

Well like was said, most likley they are not shared already. Though if you want to make sure(assuming you have Win XP), just make it so you need a password to log onto windows. That will make it so that anyone trying to access your shared drives(again assuming there are any) will need your username/password.

Sorry for the lack of the important info it was kinda late when I noticed and posted, I am running windows XP, the laptops are connected wireless (most of the time) and the Desktop is wired, they are PCs not Mac's, my laptop and the house computer have more folders than the shared folder shared, so I can transfer music between etc. Also my printer is connected to the desktop computer and the laptops are set up to print to it through the desktop computer (no cat 5 port on the printer to network it like normally), I m looking to be prompted for a password type thing when going to the files on my desktop or laptop (if that is possible). Anyother info needed? I am hoping this is possible so I don't have to copy all the files I use and keep them on both computers and update changes between the 2 computers.

The network I have setup here at work,(I work in an IT shop, and we hooked up some laptops to play games on at lunch) has 4 computers on it. Only one has a password login when you start up. That is also the only one that forces you to log in with the same info if you try and access the info remotley off another computer.

So assuming you are running stock XP.
Press Start>Click on the user name at the top of the popup window> now in the window that pops up(user options), select to have a password.

That should do it, you will have to log into the computer even when you are on it, but the shared file will also be passworded. This should work, I am going off memory here.

Proud Forester said:
The network I have setup here at work,(I work in an IT shop, and we hooked up some laptops to play games on at lunch) has 4 computers on it. Only one has a password login when you start up. That is also the only one that forces you to log in with the same info if you try and access the info remotley off another computer.

So assuming you are running stock XP.
Press Start>Click on the user name at the top of the popup window> now in the window that pops up(user options), select to have a password.

That should do it, you will have to log into the computer even when you are on it, but the shared file will also be passworded. This should work, I am going off memory here.

I went into control panel and then user settings set a password and then it asked if I want to make my files private (Assuming that means have to enter password) clicked yes now it says that I don't have access to the files and should contact the administrator....I thought that was me  ???

Get to user options like how I posted. There should be an option to change you user type. You can find out what level of user you are there.

I am the computer Administrator on both my computers I think it is because I clicked on the "make my folders private" thing and now I can't find it

Or, install a third party firewall program like Zone Alarm. It will allow you to set access levels for the computers
on the network.

How easy is that?  I used to think I was computer Savoy, but I am beginning to realise that I was either getting lucky or just doing stuff that is really easy    ;D

Back