• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Performance Oriented Electronic Training (POET)

cgyflames01

Inactive
Reaction score
I was looking at the trades I qualified for after taking my CFAT, and I noticed one of the trads is POET, moc #490. I cant find any information on this trade at all. Is it worth looking at??

I think POET is the advanced electronics course that is part of some electronic and communications occupations. LCIS and ATIS for sure.

POET 490 is a foundation course for a mulitude of trades both Air and Land as
most tech trades require a basic understanding of electronics. I was a POET instructor and later
a Standards writer for the course.

Regards OLD F of S

Im going to start my POET training soon and Im trying to find out what the day to day routine is going to be like. 
In total Im going to be in Kingston for about a yr and a half and Im trying to find out if I can live off.  Ive been told that If you live in SQ, there's usually 4 to a room.  One of the LCIS in my unit now did it 8 yrs ago and said that he had to live on for a while but once the crse was in a steady routine they could move off but would still have to maintain a bed space in single quarters.

Any recent grads?

you do not have to keep a bed space in the shacks if you have other places to live.  you can request to have your own place, it make take a month or more to get a memo approved but it happens all the time.  Mind you its expensive in comparison with R&Q. 

The routine for Poet is pretty simple.  you are marched off at 07:45.  In class for 08:00.  Frequent breaks, 2 admin days per week at which you are dismissed @ 10:30 and arrive in class for 13:00.  You have lots of time to stay after to get extra help if needed, you have a building set aside @ night for study hall (if you are not on compulsory study for 1 hour a night for getting less than 70% you can still go because it's really quiet and a great place to study.)  There is also Queens Univ  Down the road, the library is great for study time too.  You are done classes anywhere from 14:30 to 17:00 depending on the PO you are on.  If you are not in class your time is your own.  Most Fridays are parade days.  In the morning you have to either observe Grad parades participate in one or just have a practice parade.  The staff is EXCELLENT.  The instructors are for the most part EXCELLENT too. PT 1x per week as that is the only time they can get the RMC Gym to give them time for us.

The shacks do get noisy so don't plan on studying there too often if thats where you live.  There are also station job allotments (weekly) and take you all of 5 minutes to 30 minutes to do. 

Have fun in POET.  Try to request to live out of quarters ASAP when you arrive. ;)

If they're still in BB6 in Kingston, it's usually 4 to a room

Hi everyone.   I finished the POET / LCIS last summer.   BB6 is still the residence / march off point.   If you can - GET THE HELL OUT OF SHACKS.   Too noisy to study, station jobs to clean up after the "children", room inspections - you can do without the additional Course Objectives and Career Knowledge.   You will be busy enough

Now that you are out of Shacks - use the time to study.   There is always on guy on your course who does math effortlessly.   Don't be afraid to approach them - pick their brain.   A lot of time, its not the material that is difficult, its the delivery of the material.   Some of the civy - contracted Callian instructors are really good, and will help you out every chance.   Others, well lets just say - have the instructional skills of a potted plant.   You'll will recognize them right away.   Really poor whiteboard work, read directly from the book, and no elaboration.

Good luck and take care.

If you do NOT understand a concept, do not be afraid to keep asking the same question until someone can put the answer in a manner that you can comprehend.   There is a lot to be said about   laymens terms.  

I am here now in good Ol'BB6 on POET. Been here since early Jan. What the guys say above is pretty accurate. From the instructors being gods of powerpoint to the 5min weekly duties.
This course is not a walk in the park academically. Unless you are a natural at math and understanding concepts thrown at you day by day at the rate of 3 per hour minimum. Have an "open" mind to envelope the info and then study it in evening or weekend.
The shacks are not the best place to stay if you are "mature" and finished with the party days. It does stay loud at times. BUT, this is the best base I have stayed on yet for any course. The course staff are dedicated and will help you anyway they can.

The only points not mentioned above are:
-Every Wednesday is a closed locker room inspection with boots on the bed. There is the occasional Barracks open locker inspection. Not that often though.
-PT is more then once a week (Mon, Wed, Fri..wait parade drill is considered PT Friday :). Winter maybe not that often due to the weather. But summer jogs in the morning at least 3 times a week (We were told that from course staff)

This question concerns a transfer to AVS tech.

According to the DND recruiting site POET is the next course following BMQ for AVS techs.

Assuming one wants to OT to that trade what are the educational requirements (other than High school) if any ?

My previous information stated one had to have previous educational equivalent to POET before getting a transfer. Is that correct ? Is there any difference in the requirements between direct entry and OT.

Thank-you

Ì'm on POET right now, and I know some people that remastered to AVS, ATIS, LCIS, FCS, etc. and they had to do poet. One was an engineer and remastered as an AVS tech, so he had to do POET before his 3's. I don't think this guy had any electronics background and he didn't do any other course before POET so I assume that you don't need any equivalent to POET as you will do this course anyway.

Cheers, good luck!

I can't seem to find it here but does anyone know when is the next POET course in Kingston running?
Or if anyone can give me a link?

Thanks,
Bald Eagle  :cdn:

The next course starts 15 Nov. The following course starts 3 Jan 07. If you have access to the DIN, CFSCE is located at http://cfsce.kingston.mil.ca/  I don't know if that is an internet address or an intranet address.

211RadOp said:
The next course starts 15 Nov. The following course starts 3 Jan 07. If you have access to the DIN, CFSCE is located at http://cfsce.kingston.mil.ca/  I don't know if that is an internet address or an intranet address.

Just to let you know, that is an 'intranet address' as the DIN is an intranet.

Radop said:
Just to let you know, that is an 'intranet address' as the DIN is an intranet.

RadOp,

I am fully aware that the DIN is Intranet. I wasn't sure if the CFSCE website was an internet or intranet address as I have never tried to access it from home.

Back