• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Personal Question regarding pistols (looking for input)

LordOsborne

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm going to get my PAL very soon and I am looking to buy a pistol as my first firearm. I have narrowed my possible options down, but I am open to input from anyone who has fired these pistols or has another one to recommend. My basic question is, Is there a pistol i've missed?

my pics:
#1: CZ-75 SP-01
#2: S&W M&P 9
#3: Glock 17C
#4: Norinco 1911

I have large hands, so i prefer the meatier-sized pistols. I have yet to actually hold a C7-75 SP-01, let alone fire it, but from what I have read on CZ and the pistol itself, it seems like a pretty darn good buy for the money. I'd appreciate any other suggestions or advice.

Just bought a S&M MP .40, for around $550 -- believe it or not, they were on a Christmas sale  :p

Its the only pistol I own, but so far I am very happy with it.  Comes with adjustable grips, so that might be something that appeals to you.  So far, not a single complaint - found it was great value for the money I spent.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents

I have a glock 17 and its a solid pistol, fires real nice, but I'd say you missed the Sig Sauer P226 its worth a look.

I really like the look of the M&P, and the price is not hard to swallow at all. I also think it's good value for the money, although I prefer an all-metal pistol just out of personal preference. The reason i didn't put a Sig up there was mostly because of price. I'm not keen on spending close to 1000$ on a pistol, and I chose mostly 9mm models due to the cheap price of ammo. I've handled a Glock 19, but to be honest, i wasn't a huge fan of the grip. I'm sure that can be changed, and after all, they do have a sterling reputation.

Glock 17.

Had one years ago, loved it!
I am looking at getting another one very soon.
As for the "C", I-6 informed me it is great for repetitive fire, Except blinding in low light conditions.
Try and fire before you buy, especially if you have big meat hooks.
Good luck!

Ben

EDIT my SP's

You can't go wrong with the CZ. You may also want to look over at Marstar.com, at the Chinese knock offs if price is a stumbling block.

The M&P and the Glock 17 prices are very good right now, check out Canadaammo

If you are new to shooting, stick to 9mm, it is the cheapest to shoot after .22cal, the 1911 offers a great trigger and if your heart is set on one check with Gunar at Armco, he cleans the Norcs up to improe fit and trigger pull. However .45acp is expensive to shoot, if you don't reload and leave your casings behind, other shooters like myself will love you!!

If you are going to get into shooting seriously, then consider reloading, at which point shooting .45acp and .40cal becomes economical, even reloading 9mm is worth it.

For the avg shooter 9mm is hard to beat -- I am a 1911 .45ACP fan -- but I think for what you are lookign for the G17 or the M&P 9 would be the best options.

The C with its ported barrel will direct muzzle gases upwards into your LOS -- it will ruin your night vision when used in Low Light -- and while the C will aid follow up shots -- it will give you a false sence of control if you transition to non comped guns.

While polymer pistols can have their grips reworked - its more involved (unless it has interchangeable grips al a M&P)
You can always use Hocket tap and grip tape to build up the grip is you get a gun with a smaller grip too...

I sold an older SigP226 to Paracowboy 2 years ago for $200 - so you just have to look for deals...

Some great advice and input coming in, and I appreciate it.

I have seriously considered the Marstar Norinco copies, but I have read of inconsistent quality control. I have read that their 1911s are the best bet for quality, though. The price is definately attractive, although I think it'd be offset in the long run due to the cost of .45 ACP. I have handled 1911s before, and they fit me well. I have yet to shoot one though, and I acknowledge that to really make an informed decision, I would have to handle and fire all types before buying.

I think once I go reg, get posted and settled, I'll look into reloading my ammo.

I'm getting a Norinco 1911 soon. If you want, we can swap after awhile ;) You're only a ferry hop away anyways ;D

I have a Norc 870 and M14 copy and they are both excellent quality for the price. 

That being said you can't go wrong with a Glock!  ;)

COBRA-6 said:
... That being said you can't go wrong with a Glock!  ;)

- No thank-you. I keep my Tupperware in my fridge, not my gun safe.

8)

TCBF said:
- No thank-you. I keep my Tupperware in my fridge, not my gun safe.

8)

Oh! Oh! Oh! Thems are fight'n words!  ;D

S&W M&P 9 & Glock 17, polymer frame and DAO.

TCBF said:
-Tupperware

Yah, for those of you youngins...that's like a very old plastic container for storing food that they used to have big parties around because it was so new and "space aged".
I guess it's hard to teach an O'll Dawg new tricks with state of the art polymer.;)

Glocks Rock! ;D

- Plastic guns are to guns the way plastic blow-up dolls are to girls.

Cheaper, more reliable for getting the job done, No "headaches", less maintenance. ;D

Back