• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Petition to Save Vimy Park In Outremont Named After A French Québécois Racist

Chispa

Inactive
Reaction score
This park will be renamed after a french separatist, racist, against ethnics, English Canada, and especially Anglo-Québécois: the latter comments are not even an understatement, GOOGLE, this Guy was one S.O.B..

Vimy Park in Outremont is tohonour all the Canadian soldiers who fought and gave their lives for our Country, Canada, at Vimy Ridge during WW1, To change the name would be disgraceful. I am certain they can name something else to honour Parizeau but not Vimy Park. Sign this petition and make a difference by having our voices heard.

Cette pétition sera remise à:

Maire, Ville de Montréal / Mayor, City of Montreal
    Denis Coderre

The Link to the Petition as fallows.
https://www.change.org/p/denis-coderre-save-vimy-park?recruiter=37035503&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=autopublish&utm_term=mob-xs-share_petition-reason_msg&fb_ref=Default

Thursday June 16, 2016
Quebec historian defends plan to change Vimy park name in honour of Jacques Parizeau.
n WWI, 3,600 Canadian soldiers died and thousands more were wounded in the four-day battle at Vimy Ridge.

Jacques Parizeau, a respected economist before entering politics, brought Quebec to the brink of independence during his time as premier.

Jean Savard is the President of the Société d'histoire d'Outremont. He explains to As It Happens host Carol Off why he supports the renaming of the park.

Jean Savard: Jacques Parizeau lived there for almost 40 years just in front of the park. It's a very small street. His brother lived nearby. His first wife, who is a famous writer, has a monument in the park ... so, it seemed only natural for Société d'histoire to make the suggestion that the Parc de Vimy be changed to Jacques Parizeau.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-thursday-edition-1.3638638/quebec-historian-defends-plan-to-change-vimy-park-name-in-honour-of-jacques-parizeau-1.3638645

Circa, 400 more are needed, now 270, See Petition any part of Canada or World, Welcome to Montreal, Enshrined in Canada at War accounts.

THK U FR YR TME,

Joseph.

- mod edit to clean up thread title a touch -

Shameful, but not surprising. 

City approves renaming of Vimy Park

Montreal's city council voted 51-2 in favour of renaming Outremont's Vimy Park in honour of former premier Jacques Parizeau Tuesday night. Mayor Denis Coderre promised two public sites in Montreal would be named by 2017 to commemorate the First World War battle of Vimy Ridge and the Second World War raid on the French coast port of Dieppe.

The Outremont Historical Society recommended changing the name because the former premier lived across the street from the park for more than 30 years. Known as Vimy Park since 1920 in honour of the battle that took the lives of 3,500 Canadian soldiers, the city never registered the name with Quebec's toponymy commission.

The decision was met with outrage by some, who called it an insult to rename a park known for a turning point in Canada's sense of self after a former leader of Quebec's

COPYRIGHT:  © 2016 Postmedia Network Inc. All rights reserved. 

PUBLICATION:  Montreal Gazette
PAGE:  A8
DATE:  2016.06.22
SECTION:  City
EDITION:  Early
SOURCE:  Postmedia News Contact: Susan Ferguson

Sure, shameful, but let's at least get the facts and the history correct:

In Montreal, there are two Vimy streets (because of the mergers) and one Avenue de Vimy. The park at issue was never named per se de Vimy to honour anything at all. In fact it is "named" or we should say identified - because it was never named after something or someone -de Vimy merely because it is at the end of the Avenue de Vimy. That's it. It is also a quite small, insignificant and isolated park, at the end of a dead end residential street that few other than the residents use.

So as it was never meant to commemorate anything, finally naming it officially is no big deal, and is no insult to the memory of the WWI battle or its veterans because it was never meant to honour them.

The mayor of Montreal, however, has promised that in the next year, two more important parks or places or more important streets/boulevards that they are seeking to identify now, will be renamed for both the battle of Vimy Ridge and the battle of Dieppe.

So let's not get all excited over a minor removal of the name Vimy somewhere in circumstances that do not constitute dishonouring the Battle or its participants and which has become a "controversial" matter only for mostly the Anglophone medias here in Montreal much more as a result of the identity of the person the place will now be named after and his role as a separatist than as a result of any real slight to the memory of Vimy Ridge. I am quite willing to bet the English medias in Montreal (and a good part of the Anglophone more vocal minority) would have found some recrimination of a "historical" nature to ANY change of name of anything on the island if it was to re-name it after Mr. Parizeau. That's the real issue they see and don't like.

Fair enough.  If it's not actually named as you say then that is one thing.  You're right about my distaste upon whom it will be named for.  I don't like his ilk as a separatist, as a matter of fact, I dislike all of them, regardless of where they come from.  (the bastards exist out west too)

I had doubts that a petition, signed by people living outside of Montreal and/or Quebec, would have swayed the city council's vote anyway. ;)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
In Montreal, there are two Vimy streets (because of the mergers) and one Avenue de Vimy. The park at issue was never named per se de Vimy to honour anything at all. In fact it is "named" or we should say identified - because it was never named after something or someone -de Vimy merely because it is at the end of the Avenue de Vimy. That's it. It is also a quite small, insignificant and isolated park, at the end of a dead end residential street that few other than the residents use.

(...)

The mayor of Montreal, however, has promised that in the next year, two more important parks or places or more important streets/boulevards that they are seeking to identify now, will be renamed for both the battle of Vimy Ridge and the battle of Dieppe ...
Funny how just a couple of details, missed in the broad-strokes media coverage, changes the context, eh?  Thanks for sharing, as Paul Harvey (click on the link if you're too young to know or remember who this is) used to say, the REST of the story.
Journeyman said:
I had doubts that a petition, signed by people living outside of Montreal and/or Quebec, would have swayed the city council's vote anyway. ;)
But it's all about the outrage bus and its passengers, isn't it?  ;D

jollyjacktar said:
Fair enough.  If it's not actually named as you say then that is one thing.  You're right about my distaste upon whom it will be named for.  I don't like his ilk as a separatist, as a matter of fact, I dislike all of them, regardless of where they come from.  (the bastards exist out west too)

I used to hate separatists but as I grew older I have started to sympathy for those who do not conform to the Plain Vanilla Politically Correct Canadian norm.  He was a passionate believer in his cause which he lead non-violently and the anti thesis of a Canadian Liberal, I can respect that.  Racist; over one remark in a moment of passion?  Pfffft.  His life lived indicates a different story. 

Quebec is just poking us Anglais in the eye with a stick again. It's what they do. Ignore them.

Lightguns said:
I used to hate separatists but as I grew older I have started to sympathy for those who do not conform to the Plain Vanilla Politically Correct Canadian norm.  He was a passionate believer in his cause which he lead non-violently and the anti thesis of a Canadian Liberal, I can respect that.  Racist; over one remark in a moment of passion?  Pfffft.  His life lived indicates a different story.

The older I get the less hot the flame, however, the flame is still there.  I'm afraid I shall never have sympathy for their goals of breaking up the country whilst enjoying all the milk from Canada's tit they can stuff in their greedy effing gobs.

Immediately after being renamed, the park stated it's desire to separate from Montreal and move to Quebec City.