• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pilot in the Reserve Force

volition

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,
        I'm already a commercial helicopter pilot, and I'd like to get some feedback on flying helos in the reserve? I mean besides what the reserve website tells me. I'd like to join the reserves. Thanx

Usually, Res Force Pilots are ex-Reg Forces.  There are a few exceptions (I know of 1 exception...)

Max

SupersonicMax said:
Usually, Res Force Pilots are ex-Reg Forces.  There are a few exceptions (I know of 1 exception...)

Max

Do you mind enlightening us of that "1 exception", please?  :)

I called a reserve unit, and they told me you need 500 hours, degree, Canadian commercial license, and they send you for a week in Manitoba to test your flying skills, then you start Griffon training.

I know of more than a few exceptions.  However hopefully Loachman can wade in here and add his two cents.

Hasn't this been covered before in this other thread? http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/36211.0.html

The other thread is mostly about laser surgery but the later posts in the thread also talk about the Air Reserve and whether they allow applicants who weren't ex-reg force pilots to apply.

Strike said:
I know of more than a few exceptions.  However hopefully Loachman can wade in here and add his two cents.

Thanks for the correction Strike.  I know 1 guy at 402 Sqn and I don't know any at Tac Hel Sqns.  You might know more :)

Volition, your profile says you're 32U and you are in St-Jean.  If you are Reg Force, you can't join a reserve unit part time.

Max

NOooo, really!! I know that!! I`m trying to get some info about the reserve. Thanx

volition said:
I called a reserve unit, and they told me you need 500 hours, degree, Canadian commercial license, and they send you for a week in Manitoba to test your flying skills, then you start Griffon training.

This is old info but I hope it helps.

I had a student in Moose Jaw who was a "reserve enrollee".  He already had a commercial helicopter licence and lived in Borden and wished to join and fly for 400 Sqn.  He still had to basically do everything required of undergraduate pilot students - BOTC etc ... and then he still went to PFS in Portage, then to BFS in Moose Jaw, then back to Portage for BHS in order to earn his wings.  Once he had become a CF pilot ..... he then had to go to the OTU for the "type rating".

This was back in 1994 ... so that is quite a while ago.  Old news I am afraid.

I think your best bet for accurate info is not only from the reserve website (which, granted, doesn't say too much) - but you should go and talk to a human being at the recruiting centre.

If you do enroll in the PRes as a TacHel Pilot you will be trained at one of the three reserve-heavy/flight squadrons (Edmonton, Borden and St-Hubert).  You obviously must live in one of these cities or be able to commute there.

You will also be enrolled as a tac-hel pilot only - you will not be in a position to fly any other aircraft in the CF. 

That's who I called up, and they gave me the 500hours, blablabla thing! There looking for 1 reserve pilot right now they told me.

volition said:
That's who I called up, and they gave me the 500hours, blablabla thing! There looking for 1 reserve pilot right now they told me.

Yeah, now that i think about it, i remember flying with a reservist pilot in training while i was there.  IIRC he was a DASH-8 pilot from AC.

CDN Aviator, yup, the guy had 9000 hrs and Dash 8 time when he joined.  He did the Muti-Engine course in Portage then the Dash 8 OTU.

Max

SupersonicMax said:
CDN Aviator, yup, the guy had 9000 hrs and Dash 8 time when he joined.  He did the Muti-Engine course in Portage then the Dash 8 OTU.

Max

The guy i am talking about was learning to fly CH-146 while i was with 403........

Now i am currious, i'll have to look in my log book to see who it was.  I know i have a picture from that flight somewhere too....

Back