• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pipelines

I don't understand the push-back against the Just Transition program; you're literally biting the hand that feeds out of pure spite because "nothing the current government wants to do can possibly be good, facts be damned."

Like it or not, the market is changing. Some of that is due to government pressure/policies/programs, and some of it is pure economics.

The Just Transition initiative is nothing more than a program to help re-train, re-educate, and re-employ those who may lose their jobs because the economy has determined that their jobs are no longer marketable.

Even if the lose of your current job could be directly attributed to a specific government action, why would you reject an effort by the government to help you find a new job?
If someone breaks your legs, but promises to buy you crutches, do you thank them?

Because it's all BS. There will be no jobs outside of the service industry and few and far between outside of the urban areas.

This...

Having been involved in some 'skills training' type programs in the past, they do more for the trainers (who get alot of government money to do the training) than the trainees (who frequently fail to transition from $60/hr jobs to another with equal pay).

It's mainly about those without credentialed post-secondary education - a degree - as they find it the most difficult to lateral to other equivalent jobs.

It looks good in the short term though, which is all the politicians care about.

Here's an example of one of the bejillions of reports on the subject FYI:

While little Canadian research exists on the nuanced role of these institutional features in training effectiveness, broader studies of the adult education system provide support for the notion that structures and delivery systems matter. Myers and de Broucker (2006) investigate the availability of learning opportunities for low-skilled adults in five Canadian provinces. They find that provincial adult learning ‘systems’ are complex, difficult to navigate, and pose numerous barriers for less-educated adults who would like to improve their skills. Complexity of training delivery can be complicated by poor communication systems, a lack of integration of key support services — or worse, a gap in the capacity to deliver such services — as assessments, or counselling. Bottlenecks in capacities, similar to poorly designed programs, can introduce barriers in ways that affect not only access to training but also outcomes, including a failure to complete training, a lack of skills gains due to poorly aligned content — and ultimately, poor re-employment prospects. Indeed, some evidence we reviewed from Canadian program evaluations suggest that the most accessed forms of training may be the least effective in terms of labour market outcomes. For example, almost two-thirds of EBSM participants in British Columbia took employment assistance services as their only training, a short-term program which did not result in significant improvements in employment; more effective programs such as skills development and wage subsidies were accessed by only 26% and 4% of participants respectively (HRSDC, 2004). These results suggest that there may be some disconnect between training needs and the types of training programs that are accessed. Clients whose low levels of literacy may prevent them from undertaking college-level skills upgrading may have been funnelled into job search and return-to-work programs, and from there into low-skill, short-duration jobs. 5 This scenario is consistent with evidence that training in basic skills is either not widely available, or is not being accessed to a significant degree; in a survey of those who participated in training while unemployed, less than 2% took basic reading, writing, or math courses (HRDC, 2003).

If someone breaks your legs, but promises to buy you crutches, do you thank them?
Also, you're insinuating that the breaking of my legs was a malicious act. The governments attempt to move us away from industries that contribute to climate change, while potentially fruitless, are nonetheless benevolent. It doesn't compare to me getting my legs broken by some malicious actor. A more apt comparison would be someone who broke my legs in order to save their child, and then coming to be and being like "Hey Bruh, totes sorry about having to break your legs, but it was the only way to save my kid. To make amends, I'll pay for your physio and get you some bomb-ass crutches."

‘Just Transition’ is just Kabuki theatre…co-opting a term used by others, to suit the Fed’s re-programming efforts…
It must be kind of fun living in a fairy tale world where you think the liberal government is smart enough and compotent enough to carry out "re-programming" efforts.

Also, you're insinuating that the breaking of my legs was a malicious act. The governments attempt to move us away from industries that contribute to climate change, while potentially fruitless, are nonetheless benevolent.
But that claim doesn't stand up. Government interference is causing hardship. Their stated intentions don't absolve them of unintended consequences.

But that claim doesn't stand up. Government interference is causing hardship. Their stated intentions don't absolve them of unintended consequences.
That's not in question. The quesiton was whether people should accept their help to transition to new careers in light of the fact that it is government decisions that lead to the need to transition in the first place. You CAN do both: on one side be pissed off and rant and even petition to undo the changes, and on the other side you take advantage of the program offered to you so you can maybe find work and feed your family... Or don't I guess. You can just be pissed and unemployed if you want.

That's not in question. The quesiton was whether people should accept their help to transition to new careers in light of the fact that it is government decisions that lead to the need to transition in the first place. You CAN do both: on one side be pissed off and rant and even petition to undo the changes, and on the other side you take advantage of the program offered to you so you can maybe find work and feed your family... Or don't I guess. You can just be pissed and unemployed if you want.
People shouldn't, because the government rarely does these things efficiently. People should respect the fact that governments are really short for money right now and refuse to accept the money. Let "the markets", which tend to do these things more efficiently, send the signals which indicate what skills are needed, and, if necessary, offer incentives to acquire the skills.

Also, you're insinuating that the breaking of my legs was a malicious act. The governments attempt to move us away from industries that contribute to climate change, while potentially fruitless, are nonetheless benevolent. It doesn't compare to me getting my legs broken by some malicious actor. A more apt comparison would be someone who broke my legs in order to save their child, and then coming to be and being like "Hey Bruh, totes sorry about having to break your legs, but it was the only way to save my kid. To make amends, I'll pay for your physio and get you some bomb-ass crutches."
I’ll have some of what you’re having…
1674600594645.gif

All of us out here in district 9 can look forward to long rewarding careers in the electric tractor factories, I guess.
Or life in a Chinese owned cobalt mine

000_32MK4TW.jpg

Where have we seen this story before, I wonder?

Oh- I remember!

Still think governments know best when tinkering with entire industries and hundreds of thousands of lives?

I notice now, you are no longer saying that it is markets forcing the change, rather you admit it is actually the Government forcing the change. But hey- best intentions; can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, AMIRIGHT!

Back