• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

NFLD Sapper said:
Same here.....my staff where unprofessional Infanteers/Truckers/Armd Recce

I'm not sure how it works with the regs but with the reserves we send soldiers on PLQ *WAY* before they are ready.

We send guys and girls who haven't had the chance to make mistakes as privates and corporals so now their first mistakes are as MCpls who are both in charge of troops and acting as mentors.

Not much to do about it though.

Grimaldus said:
I'm not sure how it works with the regs but with the reserves we send soldiers on PLQ *WAY* before they are ready.

I agree.  I used to do medical coverage for them and hoped I'd get sent on a Reserve course.  :nod:

I see most of the discussion regarding distance-learning PLQ was from 3 years ago, when the course was just beginning. I'm slotted for the DL PLQ come the end of March.

Does anyone know which Mods this covers?  1-5?  1-6?

I've also heard the entire promotion structure to be promoted to MCpl. is changing/has changed, so how does this "new" PLQ fit into being promoted?

Grimaldus said:

We send guys and girls who haven't had the chance to make mistakes as privates and corporals so now their first mistakes are as MCpls who are both in charge of troops and acting as mentors.

Not much to do about it though.

Your beef has nothing to do with sending people on the course... it has to do with units *promoting* them way before they're ready, just because somone is qualified doesn't mean they're suitable for promotion (Regardless if it ends up happening that way).

Attending a PLQ course, and learning useful skills, administration, instruction, and leadership, would be useful to any corporal. How they choose to use those skills should then determine whether they get promoted or not...

a Sig Op said:
Your beef has nothing to do with sending people on the course... it has to do with units *promoting* them way before they're ready, just because somone is qualified doesn't mean they're suitable for promotion (Regardless if it ends up happening that way).

Attending a PLQ course, and learning useful skills, administration, instruction, and leadership, would be useful to any corporal. How they choose to use those skills should then determine whether they get promoted or not...

In the past, it was a means to have a potential Jr NCO (Cpl/Pte) get leadership training and experience to develop and be promotable in the future.  The Comd of LFCA pulled a boner a few years back when he dictated that all graduates of the PLQ WOULD be promoted within two weeks of their graduation.  This caught many Reserve units by surprise, especially those who had Crse Loaded a candidate who was "available" to do the training, but perhaps not yet ready to be promoted. 

In the Reserve World, one has to realize that not all Reservists are avail 24 and 7 to do a Tasking, Tour, or Course.  Some who are students or unemployed may be able to take a Tasking, Tour or Course on short notice, but the majority who have good civvie jobs need lots of lead time to arrange time off to meet these commitments.

Mod 6 is still the "hard" Field portion.  You can't experience sleep deprivation from digging a trench and patrolling around the woods on DL and be expected to pass on that experience to your future subordinates on any Field training down the road.

George Wallace said:
dictated that all graduates of the PLQ WOULD be promoted within two weeks of their graduation. 

Exactly. Thus I find a soldier from my course bragging about having less than 2 years in the reserves being promoted to MCpl who was back in Petawawa the following year instructing on a PLQ Mod 6 Infantry course.

Grimaldus said:
Exactly. Thus I find a soldier from my course bragging about having less than 2 years in the reserves being promoted to MCpl

I just threw up in my mouth a bit.... I thought we still had the 4 year time in as a requirement as well?

My better half is currently attending a mo'litia BMQ course... I know maybe half her instructors, of thoe, most only earned their leaf in the last 12 months or less... some of the absurd things I've heard just make me shake my head... it can all be chaulked up to inexperience, and they'll learn eventually (I hope), but the problem is, the instructors teaching on the course are *all* inexperienced... there's no one to guide them along....

The current DL Package for PLQ covers material from modules 2, 4 and 5 duration is 10 training days.  In order to complete Mod 2, however you need to attend the residency portion.

Makes you wonder if the Crse O/WO are "monitoring" periods of instruction & trg.  I've taught on BMQs/QL3/QL4, etc and been Snr Instr, Crse WO before and there was always 'checks and balances' when heavy on the inexperienced instructor side of the house to make sure things were going as they should.  In my experience, courses always seemed to run better if there was a Snr Instr/Trg Sgt appointed, as the Crse WO was sometimes away doing Admin/co-ord/etc.  Thats how we tended to do things atleast, for both in-house and courses at the LFA TC.

If the problem is most of the Instructors are very inexperienced, the Snr NCOs/WOs can manage that if they are aware (and willing).

When LFA Standards came to pay the course a visit, the Standards folks also sometimes had a Q & A session with the candidates.  I know of a few times that a Q & A session resulted in 'concerns' being discussed with the Crse O/Crse WO and Standards staff.

:2c:

It's not just the instruction though, it's general actions and attitudes...

As a prime example, she asked me a few weeks back if I had any C7 handouts, I said of course I do, but ask your section commander, he'll get you somthing. She asked, the response was "if you wanted that, you should have taken notes in class" (Ironically, the very well done handout I gave her after, I originally took from the common drive belonging to that individuals home unit, and it had been created by a senior NCO from the same)

The worst part is, these junior leaders who weren't ready to be promoted and aren't ready for the job are teaching and mentoring other people... who are going to be even worse off when they end up in the same posistion...

Is there a solution? I have no idea what that solution is... I do know I try to pass on as much of my own experience as often as I can, whenever and wherever I can... I've still got plenty left to learn though, as does everyone....

Is the "promoted within two weeks" an LFCA policy? Or higher?

Either way, I still maintain, everyone should do the PLQ course, even if you're never promoted, you've got a better understanding of what's going on above you, and a better understanding of how to do your own job.

If you do get promoted, whether you feel you were ready or not, know your limitations, strive to over come them.

a Sig Op said:
It's not just the instruction though, it's general actions and attitudes...

That is why I said monitoring periods of instruction and trg, which IMO covers everything outside of the 'classroom' aspect.

As a prime example, she asked me a few weeks back if I had any C7 handouts, I said of course I do, but ask your section commander, he'll get you somthing. She asked, the response was "if you wanted that, you should have taken notes in class".

Having seen this type of stuff before, the benefit of having a Trg Sgt comes into play with stuff like this.  I was Trg Sgt/Snr Instr before and the CTP/TS/QS was my bible for 'min requirements' for trg aids, but I could also make suggestions to the Crse O/WO that could then be implemented, their call.  Or just task an Instr to do it.  Simple.  If they ask "why, they should be taking notes"...well then its a chance to educate MCpl Bloggins with the shiny Leaf on life as an instr.  I'd rather the students pay attention to the EDI stuff during a skill lecture than have their head down writing notes.  If I am teaching correctly, using ICEPAC concepts, EDI, etc then most of the students should be grasping the skill.  I also suggest if the staff provide a handout, that also makes no question on the content.  :2c:

The worst part is, these junior leaders who weren't ready to be promoted and aren't ready for the job are teaching and mentoring other people... who are going to be even worse off when they end up in the same posistion...

Yup, and that makes the importance of mentoring by experienced Instr's, Snr NCOs and WO's all the more important.  Don't let that cycle complete itself, break the jnr intrs of bad habits and mindsets now.  That, IMO, is a leadership function and responsibility.  I remember some of the stupid stuff I did as a Cpl right off CLC, and am glad there was some people who corrected me.  So in one sense, to me, this isn't a new problem, as I was 'that new instr' many years ago who needed to be sorted out.

Is there a solution? I have no idea what that solution is... I do know I try to pass on as much of my own experience as often as I can, whenever and wherever I can... I've still got plenty left to learn though, as does everyone....

To me, thats a simple answer.  Good leadership by their immediate superiors, who 'set the example', set the standard, insist it be met and also lead by example themselves.

Also remember, as was pointed out by PMedMoe, you will always learn.  You will learn just as much from bad/poor instructors as you will from the excellent ones.  What will you learn?  You will learn what not to do or what not to be.  You will then have that experience to pass on to subordinates someday.  It brings up that old question; do you learn more from your mistakes, or learn more from your successes?

In the Reserve world people often get sent before being ready. This occurs when HQ and Schools keep insisting on changing\ cancelling courses and we end up with a huge lack of supervisors. It starts with not enough MCpls, moves on to too few Sgts and ends with no WOs. Units have little choice except to send anyone that's available because they have no supervisors left. It's taken my unit a good five years to dig ourselves out of that shortage of staff hole and we're just, now, getting our heads above water. It will only take the cancellation of a course or a change of dates resulting in people's vacation time getting screwed to put us right back. If a person comes back not quite ready, he can be mentored at home by his boss until he can fly on his own. At least he has the basics. Bad MCpls are a result of bad Sgts and, to some extent, other bad superiors, that's it. No need to look further. Don't place so much blame on the neophyte, go after his bosses.

recceguy said:
In the Reserve world people often get sent before being ready. This occurs when HQ and Schools keep insisting on changing\ cancelling courses and we end up with a huge lack of supervisors. It starts with not enough MCpls, moves on to too few Sgts and ends with no WOs. Units have little choice except to send anyone that's available because they have no supervisors left. It's taken my unit a good five years to dig ourselves out of that shortage of staff hole and we're just, now, getting our heads above water. It will only take the cancellation of a course or a change of dates resulting in people's vacation time getting screwed to put us right back. If a person comes back not quite ready, he can be mentored at home by his boss until he can fly on his own. At least he has the basics. Bad MCpls are a result of bad Sgts and, to some extent, other bad superiors, that's it. No need to look further. Don't place so much blame on the neophyte, go after his bosses.

While I don't know you or your unit personally its good to see Snr NCO's looking at their units and making a change. Too many units don't look past the trg year; and it's awesome to see a unit doing this.

BZ to you and your unit.

Grimaldus said:
Exactly. Thus I find a soldier from my course bragging about having less than 2 years in the reserves being promoted to MCpl who was back in Petawawa the following year instructing on a PLQ Mod 6 Infantry course.

Less than 2 years and a  MCpl?  For real?  ???

Another case of "the more things change, the more they stay the same".  I remember this 'stuff' from late 80's/early to mid 90s.

I can only speak for what I saw in the then-AMA;  Regimental 'CLC" courses over a few weekends (you can imagine the lvl of Jr NCO they produced), Instr's that had no M of I knowledge, let alone a qual, etc being employed as Instr's, it really was nothing short of a gong-show.  As the "militia" transformed more to the Army Reserve, there seemed to be a FAR better grip (while still far from ideal at times) on the selection, trg and employment of Jnr NCOs.  There was more emphasis on actual experience, some common sense applied when filling the summer tasking brick, etc.  The ball was moving the right way down the field.

It sounds like an old problem is becoming new once again....

If you are going on a PLQ course, ensure you get as much mentoring as possible during the DL portion of the course.

As an instructor on a PLQ Mod 1-3 course right now, I can truthfully say the candidates come from their DL's woefully unprepared to instruct classes. As an example, I took in their lesson plans on day one, and found multiple errors (ranging from fairly hilarious like "Christianing" the ground prior to a lesson, to bone headed like final quesrtions totally unrelated to the lesson just taught, to bits of other lessons cut and pasted in the lesson plan). Reviewing principles of instructin like ICEPAC and verbals support like CREST got me and my 2I/C blank stares...We even had to do impromptu instruction on things like how to plan lessons, create and use training aides like flip charts and whiteboards (lord help us if anyone decides to be a PowerPoint Ranger).

For potential candidates preparing to go on their Mod 6; hit the books (weapons pams, patrolling and fieldcraft aid memoires) and have your unit give you "hands on" field kit like the GPMG and radios; we have no time to retrain you if you can't remember how to troubleshoot or program a 522. If you can't read a map or shoot a bearing, best not come out at all....

I find reservist are harder on themselves than anyone! I personally did a PLQ mods 1-5 and 6 which was fully staffed by reservist and I was one of two regular force candidates. This staff ran an excellent course. infact it was the same course who had ran IIRC 6 back to back courses and had it down to a science. Well ran and well instructed course.

I personally wouldn't worry about only having a short amount of time in the military. I was a "fast mover" and had mine at the 5 year mark. There is nothing on that course you haven't done or seen before. Honestly as a Pte, Cpl I had heard orders enough that I could make them up off the top of my head day one. Drill....well you've been doing that since day 1; only difference your calling out the words of command. You reacted to it for years now you have to teach a simple lesson. Classroom. If your unit keeps their standards up at trg nights you have already seen how to mark a chalkboard and teach a class. You have heard the control statement a million times. You have heard the proper order it is taught in.

Small party tasking is something you get your kids to do. Go clean your room and I will provide direction and instruction on what needs to get done. Not much difference.

Patrols. you've humped along on them before. Aside from knowing how to read a map it's a fairly basic short route to a clearly defined obj.

Some people struggle with the course however most if not all the stuff taught on these courses you've already done and seen before.

If for nothing else it's a bit of class A and B time anyway! Go enjoy!

dogger 1936. I think it depends on your unit and trade on how much exposure you have received on the items you listed off.  I have taught many PLQ course and a lot of candidates from non-combat arms (Reserve and Reg Force) have never gone on patrol except for the intro ones you do on BMQ Land, and proper orders and battle procedure, even in the combat arms this gets abreviated and a lot of Section Comds do not give full orders and just skim through the orders process.

I will agree with Thucydides that the current DL package is garbage, we have to re-teach everything that the students were supposed to learn on the DL.  I have noted it on every ECC and have addressed it with standards several times.  When you are doing the DL, talk to someone and get help.  Make sure you understand how to write lesson plans and ICEPAC.

Back