• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

Sheep Dog AT said:
Thanks.  It seems like its condensed vs. the older system which to be fair I wasn't a part of.

The course is still the same length, it's just broken down into different mods.

CANFORGEN 031/13  PRIMARY LEADERSHIP QUALIFICATION - ARMY (PLQ-A) PRIMARY LEADERSHIP QUALIFICATION - ARMY (PLQ-A)

UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: *deleted*

1. BACKGROUND. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE MOST RECENT REVIEW OF THE NCM PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SYSTEM AND THE REVISED NCM GENERAL SPECIFICATION (NCMGS) AT REF A, CHANGES WERE MADE TO THE ARMY QUALIFICATION STANDARD AND TRAINING PLAN FOR PRIMARY LEADERSHIP QUALIFICATION - LAND. THESE CHANGES HAVE RESULTED IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF A FOUR MODULE (VICE CURRENT SIX MODULE) SYSTEM. IN ORDER TO ALLEVIATE CONFUSION DURING THE TRANSITION PERIOD, THERE WILL BE A CHANGE TO THE NAME OF THE QUALIFICATION FROM PRIMARLY LEADERSHIP QUALIFICATION - LAND (PLQ-L) TO PRIMARY LEADERSHIP QUALIFICATION - ARMY (PLQ-A).

2.  COURSE STRUCTURE. THE NEW PLQ-A IS STRUCTURED AS FOLLOWS:

A.  MODULE 1 - AN 11 DAY MODULE DELIVERED VIA DISTANCE LEARNING (DL) BY LFAATC FOR ENGLISH SERIALS, AND SQCISQ FOR FRENCH SERIALS.

B.  MODULE 2 - A NINE DAY MODULE DELIVERED IN RESIDENCE (FULL-TIME FORMAT) EITHER AT THE AREA TRAINING CENTRES OR AT BRIGADES (FOR P RES).

C.  MODULES 3 AND 4 - EACH MODULE OF 15 DAY DURATION WILL BE DELIVERED IN RESIDENCE AT THE AREA TRAINING CENTRES.

3.  TRAINING DELIVERY. THE FOLLOWING PARAMETERS WILL APPLY TO THE DELIVERY OF THE PLQ-A:

A.  MODULE 1 WILL BE DELIVERED IN A SYNCHRONOUS DISTANCE LEARNING FORMAT. TO CATER TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE PRES, IT CAN BE DELIVERED IN A PART-TIME BASIS.

B.  MODULE 2 WILL BE DELIVERED IN A FULL-TIME FORMAT AT THE AREA TRG CENTRES. TO CATER TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE PRES IT MAY BE DELIVERED IN A PART-TIME FORMAT AT CBG SCHOOLS.

C.  MODULES 3 AND 4 WILL BE ONLY DELIVERED IN A FULL-TIME FORMAT AT THE AREA TRG CENTRES AND ARE INTENDED TO BE DELIVERED CONSECUTIVELY WITH STUDENTS REMAINING FOR THE DURATION, ALTHOUGH SPECIFIC SERIALS WILL BE IDENTIFIED FOR PRES PERSONNEL WHO ARE REQUIRED, BY EXCEPTION, TO ATTEND MODULES 3 AND 4 IN CONSECUTIVE YEARS.

D.  ALL MODULES WILL BE MANAGED VIA THE ARMY NATIONAL CALENDAR AND COURSE LOADED BY CTC HQ.

E.  A COMMON SELECTING AGENCY WILL APPLY TO ALL MODULES OF THE PLQ-A: D MIL C FOR REG F AND AREA HQ FOR PRES.

F.  STUDENTS WILL NORMALLY BE NOMINATED FOR THE PLQ-A COMPLETE, BY THE SELECTING AGENCY. CTC HQ WILL LOAD AGAINST SPECIFIC MODULES BASED ON INFORMATION PROVIDED BY THE SELECTING AGENCY.

4.  ALL OCCUPATIONS CURRENTLY REQUIRED TO ATTEND PLQ-L IAW REF D WILL BE REQUIRED TO ATTEND PLQ-A UPON ITS IMPLEMENTATION. SPECIFICALLY:

A.  ALL ARMY MANAGED OCCUPATIONS (WITH THE EXCEPTION OF INFMN) TO INCLUDE:

(1) CRMN

(2) FD ARTYMN

(3) AD ARTYMN

(4) CBT ENGR

(5) GEO TECH

(6) ACCIS

(7) EO TECH

(8.) MAT TECH

(9) VEH TECH

(10) WPN TECH

B.  THE FOLLOWING NON-ARMY MANAGED OCCUPATIONS:

(1) MP (ALL ENVIRONMENTS)

(2) MSE OP (LAND ENVIRONMENT ONLY)

(3) SUP TECH (LAND ENVIRONMENT ONLY)

(4) RMS CLK (LAND ENVIRONMENT ONLY)

(5) COOK (LAND ENVIRONMENT ONLY)

(6) AMMO TECH (LAND ENVIRONMENT ONLY)

(7) POSTAL CLK (ALL ENVIRONMENTS)

(8.) COMM RSCH (ALL ENVIRONMENTS)

(9) INT OP (ALL ENVIRONMENTS)

(10) CBRN OP (ALL ENVIRONMENTS)

(11) TRAFFIC TECH (LAND ENVIRONMENT ONLY)

5.  TRANSITION. IT IS RECOGNIZED THAT A SIGNIFICANT VOLUME OF PERS ARE PARTIALLY TRAINED IN THE CURRENT PLQ-L. IN ORDER TO AVOID GAPS IN TRAINING AND REDUCE THE POTENTIAL DUPLICATION OF TRAINING, THE FOLLOWING TRANSITIONAL PARAMETERS WILL APPLY UPON IMPLEMENTATION OF THE PLQ-A:

A.  PERS WHO HAVE COMPLETED THE PLQ-L MODULE 2-5 DL PACKAGE ONLY, WILL TRANSITION IMMEDIATELY TO MODULE 2 OF PLQ-A.

B.  PERS WHO HAVE COMPLETED MODULES 1-5 OF PLQ-L MUST COMPLETE A TRANSITIONAL TWO DAY DL DELTA PACKAGE PRIOR TO BEING AUTHORIZED TO ATTEND PLQ-A MODULE 3.

C.  AS AN INTERIM MEASURE, A MODIFIED PLQ-L MODULE 1-5 RESIDENCY PACKAGE HAS BEEN DEVELOPED FOR DELIVERY BY AREA TRAINING CENTRES THAT WILL ACHIEVE THE PLQ-A MODULES 1 AND 2 EQUIVELANCE. C. PERS WHO HAVE COMPLETED MODULE 6 PART 1 OF THE PLQ-L WILL NOT BE GRANTED EQUIVALENCY FOR MODULE 3 OF PLQ-A, BUT WILL BE REQUIRED TO COMPLETE MODULES 3 AND 4 IN THEIR ENTIRETY

6.  TIMELINES. THE FOLLOWING TIMELINES WILL APPLY TO PLQ-A IMPLEMENTATION:

A.  1 APR 12 - ALL AREA TRAINING CENTRES WILL COMMENCE DELIVERY OF MODIFIED PLQ-L MODULE 1-5 RESIDENCY PACKAGE.

B.  APR-JUN 12 - CONDUCT OF PILOT SERIAL PLQ-A MODULE 1(DL) BY LFAATC.

C. 1 SEP 12 - ALL LAND FORCE AREAS WILL COMMENCE DELIVERY OF PLQ-A MODULES 2 TO 4.

D. 1 OCT 12 - CONDUCT OF MODIFIED PLQ-L MODULE 1-5 RESIDENCY PACKAGE WILL CEASE. LFAATC AND SQCISQ WILL COMMENCE DELIVERY OF PLQ-A MODULE 1.

E. NLT 31 DEC 12 - TRAINING OF PERSONNEL ON PLQ-L MODULES 1 TO 5 BY INDIVIDUAL MODULES AT HOME UNITS AND BDES IS TO BE COMPLETED.

7.  CA LEAD FOR THIS DIRECTION IS COMD LFDTS AS THE ARMY TRAINING AUTHORITY (ATA). LFDTS POC IS DAT PD, *DELETED*. ARMY INDIVIDUAL TRAINING AUTHORITY (AITA) POC IS CTC HQ G3 TRG DES (CA), *DELETED*. CTC G3 POC FOR COURSE LOADING AND SCHEDULING IS G3 COURSES 1-2, *DELETED*.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
* some info removed for PERSEC.

** para 6 is modified for what I think was the intended format, as it appears sub-para's C - F got stuck in with 6(b). 

That's already outdated... They've liften half of it directly from the applicable QS and TP revisions promulgated a year ago, yet the CANFORGEN speaks in the present tense. PLQ-L mods 1-5 are no longer running in any form; old, new, delta, bridge, or what have you. It's all the new mods now at any of the army run schools.

Also, army reserve musicians appear to have been overlooked. I would put money on their requirement being A-PLQ mods 1-3, as that almsot exactly approximates the legacy PLQ-L Mod 6 part 1, or in turn the CF-PLQ common. But I can't find an official document anywhere that confirms this for me, and my query up the ops chain is still moving through the pipe.

The PLQ Inf Mod 4 is longer than the rest-of-army one. You're looking at a full month for that one vice the 15 days stated in the CANFORGEN for the A-PLQ Mod 4.

The last direction we received on musicians, from the ATC Stds Cell, was that they do CF PLQ.  As for trying to find a national listing of CF PLQ courses, I've been looking for weeks and have yet to find one.

Is there an official PAM/Training Plan for the new four-mod PLQ? If so, would someone mind shooting me a PM?

If you have DWAN access you should be able to find the TP, etc off the Gagetown cabinets site.

Easy way to find it (since DWAN search can be brutal) is go to the Infantry School's DWAN site,  and click on any of the courses listed and that should bring up the course on the cabinets site.  Once you are there,  there is a side bar on the left where you can find every Army managed course(AFAIK).

Anyone have any tips or comments on Army PLQ? Particularly comments on the "new" 4-Mod system and inf-PLQ Mod 4 if applicable?

ARMY_101 said:
Anyone have any tips or comments on Army PLQ? Particularly comments on the "new" 4-Mod system and inf-PLQ Mod 4 if applicable?

Fairly standard tips but I will repeat them.  Make sure you are in shape ( a lot of pers arrive out of shape and it affects their performance).  Brush up on your map and compass skills.  If your weapons handling skills are rusty, have someone run you through TOETs on C7, C9, and C6.  There is always a few needles NDs that could have been prevented.  If you are Infantry, review using the C6 in the SF role.  Practice marking and recording targets.

Does anyone have any experience with their inf unit's interpretation of the Training Implementation Directive from CTC (BGen Corbould) dated 29 Oct 12?

Specifically, since ASA is a new course for promotion to MCpl, current MCpls and Sgts have priority to attend ASA; where does that leave promotion prospects for Cpls with PLQ Mods 1-4 in the new system? (Without the training plan change they would be promotable to MCpl following PLQ.)

Training Directive para 10 (b) says ASA may be waived if 1) the mbr lacks the qual due to service reasons (e.g. scheduling and not because the mbr failed); 2) the mbr is nominated for the next available course; and 3) two years following the promotion, if the mbr has not yet completed ASA, their file will be reviewed to determine whether they should be bumped back to Cpl.

Does this mean a promotion to MCpl without ASA is Acting/Lacking, or Acting While so Employed? Have any units recently promoted any MCpls who could speak to how they did it and whether the candidate was considered a "legacy" promotion (i.e. under the old system) or anything special.

Anyone's assistance/experience in recently being promoted or interpreting this new policy would be greatly appreciated.

Someone was explaining the PLQ Mod 1 he's leaving on next week. 
2 weeks "distance learning". He's laughing about sitting at home for 2 weeks where he is supposed to stay logged into a computer all day to complete the course. He was told by someone who was just on it that he was usually done by 1 or 2.

I'm not familiar with the new mods or distance learning but isn't this a poor method of introducing a soldier to their first formal taste of leadership?

Is this another Ctrl-C, Alt-F, Ctrl-V online army test?

I do believe that there is also conformational testing at ATC's when they arrive to do the remaining mods..

ObedientiaZelum said:
Someone was explaining the PLQ Mod 1 he's leaving on next week. 
2 weeks "distance learning". He's laughing about sitting at home for 2 weeks where he is supposed to stay logged into a computer all day to complete the course. He was told by someone who was just on it that he was usually done by 1 or 2.

I'm not familiar with the new mods or distance learning but isn't this a poor method of introducing a soldier to their first formal taste of leadership?

Is this another Ctrl-C, Alt-F, Ctrl-V online army test?

There's no being done by 1 or 2pm, that's for sure. During my online DL I was online from 0800 to 1600h every day of the 11 days, and half those days I went home to do another 2-4 hours of course work.

From the army's perspective, it's much cheaper to have 200 students at home with 3 instructors monitoring clicks and responding to emails instead of running 5 platoons worth of courses with full staff, accommodations, etc.

The DL staff have the ability to monitor clicks, number of minutes on each slide, typing, etc. so they can definitely see if someone is clicking through a lesson in 30 seconds then copy-pasting the answers.

I can see this new DL prep for PLQ sucking badly for some poor killick at sea where the entire ship is sharing a single 64 kbit satlink. Had something similar with my ILQ DL phase; 40 minutes for a page to load while at sea. I emailed my facilitator and told him I'd work on the essays and such but the discussion boards were right out unless they had a text-only alternative for reduced-bandwidth situations. They didn't.

Given your situation I'd pull myself off course if your at sea. You should be spending between 5-8 hours in front of the computer.

ARMY_101 said:
The DL staff have the ability to monitor clicks, number of minutes on each slide, typing, etc. so they can definitely see if someone is clicking through a lesson in 30 seconds then copy-pasting the answers.

Is this still hosted on DNDLearn or on DLN? If it is still DNDLearn, the proctors only have the ability to see how long you stayed logged on, how many modules / quizzes you've completed and the duration it took. I have not yet had the (dis)pleasure of monitoring DL on DLN yet, so I don't know if they improved the proctor's abilities there.

Is DL the only way that they are running PLQ now, or is there will the traditional full 8 week courses being run?  I've heard different answers either way.

ARMY_101 said:
From the army's perspective, it's much cheaper to have 200 students at home with 3 instructors monitoring clicks and responding to emails instead of running 5 platoons worth of courses with full staff, accommodations, etc.

That may be cheaper but is it the ideal introduction to leadership? Leading through emails?

I'm fairly skeptical about this capability.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I'm fairly skeptical about this capability.

The technology is there. Whether the CF paid for it and knows how to use it is a whole other story.

Back