• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Proper protocol for Officer Cadets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity, maybe the Navy members here can answer me this.. Is there a policy to salute Naval Cadets in Esquimalt? Maybe along the lines of the Gagetown rule that was mentioned earlier? I don't know if it's just because that little stripe on combats is hard to see and people decide it's better to be safe than sorry, but I find I get saluted fairly often around Dockyard.

Feral said:
Just out of curiosity, maybe the Navy members here can answer me this.. Is there a policy to salute Naval Cadets in Esquimalt? Maybe along the lines of the Gagetown rule that was mentioned earlier? I don't know if it's just because that little stripe on combats is hard to see and people decide it's better to be safe than sorry, but I find I get saluted fairly often around Dockyard.

Unless all that is holy has changed since I left the Navy, I strongly doubt that the Navy would be the branch that would stray from the 201.  I would bet good money that it's merely the fact that they can't tell you from the Acting Subbies...

Most like myself do it out of a matter of courtesy there is no rule about it in Esquimalt in fact my unit standing orders state Ocdt's are not to be saluted, I have always gone with the theory if it walks like an officer, looks like an officer its better to play it safe and throw the high five just in case the sun gets in your eyes and you end up missing a commisioned type.

Gunner said:
Nfld Sapper - absolutely not.

Absolutely correct. Although on Ph II Inf we had a VanDoo SgtMaj tell us that, "I will call you Sir, and you will call me Sir. I won't mean it but you better!!"  :D  The fun stuff that happens on course.

Of course he was the same SgtMaj that addressed a coy of 2 anglo and 1 franco pls and in French told the francos that they were better than the anglos because they were VanDoos. Luckily we had some milcol guys who translated for us. 

Disenchantedsailor said:
Most like myself do it out of a matter of courtesy there is no rule about it in Esquimalt in fact my unit standing orders state Ocdt's are not to be saluted, I have always gone with the theory if it walks like an officer, looks like an officer its better to play it safe and throw the high five just in case the sun gets in your eyes and you end up missing a commisioned type.

Cadets do not get saluted.  I think most who do salute them, do so because they don't know the difference.  I can see some army personnel having issues (rank + cadpat), but Naval Ocdts are easy to spot!

Air Force are now easy to spot as well.

OK, here's one for you guys.

I'm currently teaching a ResF BMQ. We have about 52 candidates or so remaining, of whom one is an officer. He's DEO, with more degrees than most of the rest of my unit put together. He's got his commission as a 2Lt, but has not completed any courses yet. I as a corporal am instructing him and am an authority figure in his training He only just got promoted to 2Lt a couple of weeks ago, so this is a pretty new issue. Up til now I've been addressing him (politely) as 'Mr. _____'. With him having put up his bar, what if anything would change in how I should be addressing him, as a noncommissioned instructor to a commissioned candidate? I'm just curious what the 'official' answer is; concensus among the staff seems to be to continue calling him 'mister _____' and continuing on as we were, and noone's raised any fuss about it... But what do the regs say?

284_226 said:
Unless all that is holy has changed since I left the Navy, I strongly doubt that the Navy would be the branch that would stray from the 201.  I would bet good money that it's merely the fact that they can't tell you from the Acting Subbies...

Perhaps you havent seen the Navy on rememberance day, after so many years of shipboard drill the navy can't seem to tell the difference between the flight deck and the pavement (I can say this I'm still a sailor until the end of the week) for those of us that do proper drill on land its rather emberrassing, also I still get looked at wierd when I salute the officers in my unit when I enter thier office apparently thats no longer part of 201 either or at least in the minds of some

You army and navy guys....sheesh....when we see a pinstripe, we usually introduce ourselves by our first name, ask them their first name and then call them by their first name.....also applies to 2nd Lt's, Lt's and Captains ;D

Brihard said:
OK, here's one for you guys.

I'm currently teaching a ResF BMQ. We have about 52 candidates or so remaining, of whom one is an officer. He's DEO, with more degrees than most of the rest of my unit put together. He's got his commission as a 2Lt, but has not completed any courses yet. I as a corporal am instructing him and am an authority figure in his training He only just got promoted to 2Lt a couple of weeks ago, so this is a pretty new issue. Up til now I've been addressing him (politely) as 'Mr. _____'. With him having put up his bar, what if anything would change in how I should be addressing him, as a noncommissioned instructor to a commissioned candidate? I'm just curious what the 'official' answer is; concensus among the staff seems to be to continue calling him 'mister _____' and continuing on as we were, and noone's raised any fuss about it... But what do the regs say?

Mr. is fine up until Lt.  However, as has been previously stated, being respectful might be beneficial to you, as technically he already outranks you and will possibly be your boss shortly.

Any BMQ I've taught were we have had ladies or gentlemen as candidates, the course officer grabs them on day one and explains the facts of life to them (as well as the instructors for whom this is a new experience).    Generally referring to them as Mr/Ms/Mrs _____ has kept me out of the CSM's office. 

Interesting twist on an old thread.

Going to Brihard's comment on having a 2Lt on a BMQ course. And extrapolating it a tad...

This has become problematic now that OR and Offr BMQ types are getting mixed up on these courses.

Just to be a bugger, what would the consensus be on how an (Instr) NCO would address a Maj BMQ candidate.

Hint -  don't say it could never happen, certain members may be in such a situation ;)

As Sir, or Major______________(insert name).

How would a Major be taking BMQ?  Is it possible due to CFR's? IE. CWO CFR's? 

Quag:

WRT to your last;

ref para alfa : guidance is "Major____"

ref para bravo : PM inbound, wait over.

The Captains were treated as Course Candidates with us at CFLRS, however they were addressed as Sir but were not saluted. I never managed to see one get inspected though...

when you gents were Ocdts if a WO/NCO was to Salute you mistaking your rank would you return the salute and thank the individual and inform them the salute wasn't required?

They will probably realise their own mistake shortly thereafter upon closer inspection of your rank. I don't think its a good idea to thank them (they didn't do anything for you to thank) but you should acknowledge them some way.
A crisp Warrant! or something.

Disenchantedsailor said:
when you gents were Ocdts if a WO/NCO was to Salute you mistaking your rank would you return the salute and thank the individual and inform them the salute wasn't required?
Unless I am greatly mistaken, which is possible considering that I've been awake for 39 straight hours working on papers, the CF Drill Manual states that saluting OCdts is optional. From my experience, whenever I have been saluted by anyone, I return the salute and greet the individual who saluted me. I don't know why so many OCdts are so uptight about being saluted, it's going to happen sooner or later. Just relax and take the salute as any other officer would. Anyone think I'm way off base here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back