• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

pt recoup

Walrus

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I am having a small prob and I was hoping to hear suggestions on recouperation after training. I find if I work out hard I am extremely sore (which is to be expected) and my arms etc feel like rubber. and the trainer told me I need to let the body heal and give it a break or you will not build muscle as you will keep tearing them.  however I am finding I am taking 3-4 days to get my full strength back in my limbs after a workout,  do you guys have any tips to excelerate muscle repair?  would a vitamin help? ice alot? other over the counter med?  I am suppose to work out everyday and I am finding it hard as after a good workout i may only be able to curl 20% of what i normally can.

Walrus

In my experience a day of rest out 7 is important and a good rotation of exercises from day to day.  If you have access to a sauna it really helps to loosen the muscles after a workout as does a Jacuzzi or hot tub.  Bananas are also good for pre-workout potassium boost.

More reps at a lower weight some days will build endurance which will really help on your enthusiastic days.  Variety in your routine such as running, biking, elliptical will also build and stretch many muscles not covered by your routines.

I stay away from supplements other than Omega 3-6-9 which is great for many things.

Motherhood perhaps, regeneration of muscles takes time and a rest is as good as a workout sometimes.

Everything gunner 98 said, and;

Bananas and Pears are the two foods that are the highest in Potassium, which will give you more energy. Eat lots of them.

Protein consumed within one hour of completing your workout is the most readily absorbed and used to repair muscle tissue after a workout. There are tons of cheap protein supplements if you are not a 5 - egg yolk omellete type!

Water - enough so you pi$$ clear everyday, all the time.

Sweet, sweet, coffee.

Yes coffee. Caffeine is a stimulant, so it makes you feel like you have more energy, but the increased heart rate also translates into increased blood flow, which helps to flush out lactic acid after a workout or run, which is what makes you sore. I do my workout in the AM, and again after work, so this works out well!

Finally, do some light cardio after a workout. Just do 30 minutes on the elliptical at a med/slow pace or walk quickly home. The blood flow will flush out the lactic acid produced by your workout, just like coffee, and you won't be so sore.

great  thank you gentlemen I appreciate the reply and I will use the methods described.  :salute:

Walrus

Walrus, I agree with all advice but would add this.
If you're not better in 72 hours you've probably torn something.  Drop back on the weight or intensity a little so you can fully recover in 48-72 hours after a workout.  You may be doing too much too soon.  The advice on more reps, less weight is a good one - especially as you build a base.  A good base will help prevent injury.

You can work out 7 days a week. However after working a muscle to failure you must allow it to rest for 48-72 hours before working the muscle to failure again. If you never let your muscles recover you will keep sliding backwards performance wise instead of making gains. If you want to bounce back as fast as possible consume protein and carbs within one hour of working out (think a cup of cottage cheese an apple) think of your muscles as containing fuel (glycogen) and you have used it all up.

I am constantly amazed by the old wives tales and BS that surround physical fitness. Always keep in mind some people get big and ripped despite their actions not because of them.

If you are groping around in the dark for a good plan pick up the Canadian Forces Fitness Program. Howie Wenger was the lead in developing it and is one of the leading sports physiologists in North America. He is currently the team physiologist for the St Louis Blues and has worked with the NY Rangers, LA Kings and Edmonton Oilers. He was also one of my wife's Profs in University while she was attending UVIC.

I appreciate all the responses gentlemen, i knew if anyone  you guys would know.

a couple of you guys mentioned a machine ( i presume) called the elliptical...what is that ??

I am sure all the info you provided will help me tremendously...thanks again

Walrus

See info on elliptical training machines at:
http://www.megafitness.com/elliptical-trainers.html

I found when I was training for an Ironman(triathlon type), I would do 200+km bike rides, and the best thing to do afterwards was to sit in a cold shower for about 15 minutes. That or run a bath, really hot, but not hot enough to burn. Put Epson salt in it(any pharmacy), and relax for about 20-30 minutes. Both techniques allowed me to be able to run the next day. It helps to get alot of good sleep too.

I can't believe no one's mentioned stretching (unless I missed it somewhere)! Give every muscle you work out a good stretch at the end of your routine, holding each one for at least 20 seconds. Don't go overboard, just stretch enough that you feel it and it doesn't hurt.

Cheers,
Pinky

Pte.Pinky said:
I can't believe no one's mentioned stretching (unless I missed it somewhere)! Give every muscle you work out a good stretch at the end of your routine, holding each one for at least 20 seconds. Don't go overboard, just stretch enough that you feel it and it doesn't hurt.

Cheers,
Pinky

I just assumed that if he has a trainer he would be streching properly before and after. 

Back