• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public service employment has grown by 31 per cent

The frontliners suffer because the people that decide where the cuts will be won't be cutting themselves or their immediate surroundings.

The civ equivalent of HQs are bloated, but that is where the decisions are made.
The private sector is not exactly shining right now either. Lot's of very dumb decisions by management of mid to large sized firms that cost the businesses and employees a lot. Yet the owners and CEO's are making huge amount of monies while doing it.

The private sector is not exactly shining right now either. Lot's of very dumb decisions by management of mid to large sized firms that cost the businesses and employees a lot. Yet the owners and CEO's are making huge amount of monies while doing it.
Has often been thus…

That is because of corporate welfare and our refusal to do anything about it. If the government went, fine we shall bail you out but for the next 5 years or until you pay back the amount given there will be no bonuses, dividends, stock options, salaries above ‘x’ amount, etc. these corporations would be run very differently because they would have risk.

Unlike the current system where they get given money and still get to take major bonuses well laying off people during the pandemic.

Doesn’t help though when the people making the rules for businesses have their hand in the pot. They won’t work against their own best interests.

I thought I misread this at first, then I realized they're actually looking at ways to spend MORE tax dollars on the CBC...

Minister reviewing CBC's mandate with eye to making it less reliant on advertising​

OTTAWA — Canadian Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez said Monday he is starting to review the mandate for CBC and its French-language service Radio-Canada, including ways the government can bolster funding to the public broadcaster so it is less relia

Canadian Heritage Minister Pablo Rodriguez said Monday he is starting to review the mandate for CBC and its French-language service Radio-Canada, including ways the government can bolster funding to the public broadcaster so it is less reliant on advertising dollars.

And he also hinted the Liberal government's proposed online news bill, which is currently being studied by a Senate committee, could help.

His mandate letter from the prime minister said the goal in providing more money to the CBC and Radio-Canada is to eliminate advertising during news and other public affairs shows.

This would be similar to the BBC, which does not broadcast ads on its domestic television channels within the United Kingdom.

Rodriguez said the CBC would financially benefit from passage of the online news act, also known as C-18. The bill would require tech giants to pay Canadian media companies for linking to or otherwise repurposing their content online.

The parliamentary budget officer released a report last year that shows news businesses are expected to receive over $300 million annually from digital platforms when the online news bill becomes law.

"CBC, as other institutions, will benefit from the C-18 eventually, so there's something there," Rodriguez told the House of Commons heritage committee on Monday.

Private broadcasters have praised the bill because they believe it will create more of a level playing field against tech giants such as Google and Meta. They have disrupted the adverting industry and bring in a disproportionate amount of revenue from ads than traditional media.

NDP MP Peter Julian suggested this could help divert some online advertising money now spent on the CBC and Radio-Canada to smaller media outlets.

"I wouldn't necessarily say it's a given if (CBC) has an enhanced strengthened mandate, and relies less on advertising, that that advertising would then go to those small media players," Julian said in an interview Monday.

The bill would require Canadians, via through charges from tech giants to Canadian media companies for linking to or otherwise repurposing their content online.
That’s how it works in Canada.

Just *look at Trudeau saying “we’ll look after the debt, so you don’t have to…” 🤦🏻

Last edited:
Trashes the joint before retiring ....

Canada's public service is stuck in 'analog' and the world 'has moved on': Former clerk​

Reflecting on her tenure, Charette said she's proud of the way the public service jumped into action during the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, spending billions to support people and businesses.

"One of the things I completely believe about public service is that in a crisis we can be magnificent," she said.

"Decisions had to move quickly, benefits had to move quickly … and the challenge is, how do you maintain that going forward?"

As the lockdowns lifted, services lagged and frustrations grew.

The government was put on the defensive last year when passport offices were overwhelmed by a surge of applications.

The immigration department was also caught on its back foot by demand. At one point last year more than 2.4 million applications were stuck waiting for processing.

"I think in the public service maybe we underestimated how quickly people were going to want to return to their lives, how quickly they were gonna want to travel and have their passports, and how quickly we were gonna start the immigration system, how much people were going to want to move," Charette said.

"This was not the best of times for the public service because we underestimated that ramp-up."

Charette defends outside contracts​

Another issue for her successor, John Hannaford, will be how to handle procuring outside consultations.

The auditor general is reviewing the millions of dollars worth of contracts the federal government awarded to management consulting firm McKinsey & Company following news reports.

Charette said she believes there are times when it makes sense to bring in outside experts.

"The public service is not and never should be seen as a source of all knowledge," she said.

"There are many cases where, whether it's something which is a temporary need or a specialized kind of need, that we don't want to build it inside the public service. It's actually more economical and more efficient and maybe better for the public that we actually go out and get external expertise."

Besides being the head of the public service, the clerk acts as the deputy minister to the prime minister and secretary to the cabinet.

"I have had the honour of sitting in the cabinet room for some of the most fascinating conversations about issues that really matter to Canadians," Charette told Barton.

That would have included the tense discussions in February 2022 around whether or not the government should invoke the Emergencies Act.

As clerk, Charette recommended the government use the never-before-used law to clear anti-public health measure protests that had gridlocked downtown Ottawa for nearly a month.

That decision thrust her into the spotlight when she was later called to testify at the Public Order Emergency Commission last fall and defended her rationale.

While Commissioner Paul Rouleau ultimately ruled that the federal government met the threshold needed to invoke the Emergencies Act, the government's decision remains polarizing for many across the country.

Janice Charette told the Emergencies Act inquiry that there is a broader definition of a threat of violence than the one identified by CSIS, and it was this broader definition that led to her recommending the PM invoke the Emergencies Act.

Charette said she couldn't let the unprecedented use of the act scare her and other decision-makers away from using it if it was needed.

"I remember very much thinking we have never used this piece of legislation, so implicit in that is you're going to make history, but you also don't want to be intimidated by that either," she said.

"The public service is known for being risk-averse. You don't want to bring a bias, 'Oh my gosh, it's such a big thing. Oh, maybe we shouldn't do it.' Is it the right instrument at the right time with all the right protections around it?"

Charette said many protesters had "totally legitimate questions."

"There's only so long you can kind of hold people back. Then there's like, OK, well, what about me? What about my interest in my family's interest?" she said.

"The concern for me was this other element that we saw creeping into it and it almost felt like there some taking advantage of what was a widespread protest, a widespread debate going on, by people who had a different point to make."

"I think in the public service maybe we underestimated how quickly people were going to want to return to their lives, how quickly they were gonna want to travel and have their passports, and how quickly we were gonna start the immigration system, how much people were going to want to move," Charette said.
What an indictment of the complacent/self-centric view of those with a disproportionately comfortable and secure life…

257,000 public servants rising to 337,000 between 2015 and 2023.

Same period - a small military is 10 to 15,000 people short and can't find enough bodies to write Purchase Orders.

Priorities are choices.

What an indictment of the complacent/self-centric view of those with a disproportionately comfortable and secure life…
No kidding.

“The peasants aren’t as smart as us! We KNOW what’s good for the peasants “

Reactions: QV
Part of the problem I think is that the BGHs get distracted by flashy, unproven tech (cough AR glasses cough) but proven, workhorse unsexy tech options don't get any real support.

Easy case in point is how many industries use things like handheld tablets to help with logistics and maintenance (and things like RFIDs), and have for a few decades. Trying to get things like tablets for maintainers that can interface with equipment and upload into DRMIS (so they can do things like complete reports, grab EHM data, scan part barcodes etc etc) is a pipe dream, but because some at CANSEC showed some GOFO or ministers a totally unproven solution that is what gets the attention and staffing.

We have projects that haven't moved for 20 years because of a lack of resource that would have been innovative at the time, and now would be industry standard, but stuck at the development stage because instead we have to look at 'tomorrow's tech' (which will likely fall into the same trap once it gets out of immediate view and something new comes along).

The passport thing though really had nothing to do with analogue/digital though; that seemed like a horsepower/processing issue, which is down to not enough people. You can't surge when you are already at capacity

Part of the problem I think is that the BGHs get distracted by flashy, unproven tech (cough AR glasses cough) but proven, workhorse unsexy tech options don't get any real support.

Easy case in point is how many industries use things like handheld tablets to help with logistics and maintenance (and things like RFIDs), and have for a few decades. Trying to get things like tablets for maintainers that can interface with equipment and upload into DRMIS (so they can do things like complete reports, grab EHM data, scan part barcodes etc etc) is a pipe dream, but because some at CANSEC showed some GOFO or ministers a totally unproven solution that is what gets the attenti

Preach man. I am very much involved and working with our 3rd line supply and the efforts to improve automation are pretty much stymied by our Byzantine system. Use of robotic automation or even handheld devices is just a pipedream cause we are so slow and have too many fingers in the pie. At this stage we consider consolidating our shipping and ammo systems into the greater supply system a great achievement.

Preach man. I am very much involved and working with our 3rd line supply and the efforts to improve automation are pretty much stymied by our Byzantine system. Use of robotic automation or even handheld devices is just a pipedream cause we are so slow and have too many fingers in the pie. At this stage we consider consolidating our shipping and ammo systems into the greater supply system a great achievement.

What about PDet ?

season 2 lol GIF by #Impastor

There are no portable devices (PDETs in use at 3rd line, in the way we think of portable devices. One of the depots uses an old 2007 laptop that is labelled a PDET but is really just a small laptop. It only connects to a web based DRMIS portal which allows a user to use the PDET menu.

TBF the depots largely have DWAN wifi so right now the teams have regular laptops that can be installed into MHE, set on desktop or be carried down the aisles (if one is doing a stock check or similar). The bonus is since it is just a DWAN enabled laptop with a normal install you can use any and all programs as you work. The DMSPR team that deals with that sort of stuff is great but they are there for in service support. The handheld devices are supposedly coming from the AIT project which is massive and my confidence level in them is fairly low given the broad scope of that project. If we do see anything we are years from it, which is hilarious given the technology is pretty old and has tons of usage in the real world.

There are no portable devices (PDETs in use at 3rd line, in the way we think of portable devices. One of the depots uses an old 2007 laptop that is labelled a PDET but is really just a small laptop. It only connects to a web based DRMIS portal which allows a user to use the PDET menu.

TBF the depots largely have DWAN wifi so right now the teams have regular laptops that can be installed into MHE, set on desktop or be carried down the aisles (if one is doing a stock check or similar). The bonus is since it is just a DWAN enabled laptop with a normal install you can use any and all programs as you work. The DMSPR team that deals with that sort of stuff is great but they are there for in service support. The handheld devices are supposedly coming from the AIT project which is massive and my confidence level in them is fairly low given the broad scope of that project. If we do see anything we are years from it, which is hilarious given the technology is pretty old and has tons of usage in the real world.

I remember when 3 CSU would come for RSATs and SAVs in Afghanistan they had some hand held device that they called PDET... It was strictly for them, we weren't allowed to touch it.

I remember when 3 CSU would come for RSATs and SAVs in Afghanistan they had some hand held device that they called PDET... It was strictly for them, we weren't allowed to touch it.
Yea I am aware of them and don't consider them anything other than a tool for 3 CSU. It is some neat stuff largely developed in house (they have their own programmer) because again the larger DSC doesn't care and is too unwieldy of a beast to make things easier for folks. If you have never look at their tool (Deployable Operational Support Tool) before check it out at this link (DWAN).

The real issue with it is you don't have any direct interaction with the system. It works via batch uploads into the PDET and then you export the files through macros to DRMIS. It definitely saves times when it comes to a multitude of activities MMTs undertake but it is not truly a real time PDET handheld. I would love to see the functionality of the DOST tool combined with being able to work direct in the system for our MMTs and civvies at 1st - 3rd line but that would take some considerable horsepower

Yea I am aware of them and don't consider them anything other than a tool for 3 CSU. It is some neat stuff largely developed in house (they have their own programmer) because again the larger DSC doesn't care and is too unwieldy of a beast to make things easier for folks. If you have never look at their tool (Deployable Operational Support Tool) before check it out at this link (DWAN).

The real issue with it is you don't have any direct interaction with the system. It works via batch uploads into the PDET and then you export the files through macros to DRMIS. It definitely saves times when it comes to a multitude of activities MMTs undertake but it is not truly a real time PDET handheld. I would love to see the functionality of the DOST tool combined with being able to work direct in the system for our MMTs and civvies at 1st - 3rd line but that would take some considerable horsepower

I know when I go to CT they all carry some hand held scanner that tells me all about the item, if they have stock, where there is stock and can order it in for me.

Meanwhile....

Mind the Gap:
Canada is Falling Behind the Standard-of-Living Curve​

Highlights​

• Despite turning in solid headline growth in recent years, Canada has lagged behind the U.S. and other advanced economies in terms of standard of living performance (or real GDP per capita).
  • This underperformance accelerated after the 2014-15 oil price shock and has continued in the wake of the pandemic. What’s more, little turnaround appears to be on the horizon.
  • There may be a tendency to pin the blame for Canada’s sagging per-capita showing on the country’s rapidly-growing population base given that it has inflated the denominator of the calculation. However, at the crux of the problem is insufficient growth in the numerator, which in turn is tied to longstanding productivity issues.
  • Regionally, commodity-based economies (Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Newfoundland & Labrador) continue to record the highest per-capita GDP levels, but their status as leaders has come under some pressure over the past decade. Post-pandemic, only British Columbia and PEI have managed to recover back to 2019 GDP per capita levels.

Back