• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question on different interviews

jrst

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm applying for the Reserves, Infantry Officer, and I had a couple of questions.  I was told by the recruiter for the unit that I would undergo an initial interview, then all the testing and such, then come back and do a board interview.  How do the two interviews differ, other than one is by one officer and one is in front of several?  My initial interview is on the 21st, what sort of questions should I be prepared for?
Thanks!

When I first went to the initial interview and it went something like this.  Why do you want to join them and such. They'll ask you about any activities such as sports that you're apart of. They'll want to see you plans in the future. The regiment would not want to have you sign up and spend money on you then have you "transfer" the the reg in like a year.

wwarlockk said:
When I first went to the initial interview and it went something like this.  Why do you want to join them and such. They'll ask you about any activities such as sports that you're apart of. They'll want to see you plans in the future. The regiment would not want to have you sign up and spend money on you then have you "transfer" the the reg in like a year.

1. How you speak and answer the questions is more important than what you're answers are.
2. If you practice answering questions then you'll screw up because your mind is trying to answer the recruiters questions with the intent of your own questions that you prepared for.
3. you're not really in a position to give advice on what a reserve regiment is looking for and whether they would want someone who leaves in a year.

I'm sorry, but I'm just saying that's some of the questions the recruiter asked me. By no means am I saying I'm in a position to give advice. I remembered the part about what they're looking for because he literally said "We don't want to spend money and train you if you're going to be joining the regs not long after joining the reserves" Also, I've been to job interviews  before, and these types of questions are not uncommon. 

If that's the case the recruiter isn't doing his job

The reserves augment the regular force.
The number of  reservists that a unit sends successfully
To the regular force should be a mark of pride.

Recruiters are also supposed to recruit people to the
Canadian forces not specific units

Thanks both of you.  I keep wishing it was Tuesday already so that I could go in and relax after :)

JRST,

Having at one time or another filled all of the roles in your question (applicant, initial interviewer, and candidate selection board member,)  here is my advice, in the form of an oversimplified, heartwarming analogy.  Note: This is based on my own experience as a recruiting O and board mbr.  These are not universal standards adhered to letter-b-letter at every PRes unit across the country.  Your mileage may vary.

The initial interview is like a first date with the unit.  We are checking to see if we get a warm, fuzzy feeling about you, and making sure you know more or less what you are getting yourself into.  Either be yourself, or act like someone you are prepared to pretend to be henceforth in perpetuity.  (I recommend the former.) This will likely be fairly informal - but that does not mean you should show up with your bum hanging out of your jeans or overlook basic hygiene.  Impress us.  Make us want to see more.

The "test and such" are like the next 10 dates or so.  We want to see if you have the basic building blocks required to satisfy the standards that we have set before we commit to a long term relationship.  We are mostly into guys who are pretty fit, pretty smart, pretty available, quick thinkers, mentally agile, loyal, courageous, trustworthy, and honest.  It doesnt hurt if you have a dash of experience in your field or as a leader in general.  (I know, we are hard to please and high maintenance.)

The board interview?  That's the date where we take you home to meet our father.  This is where things get real, and if this doesn't go well, he won't let us see you anymore.  This will be formal.  There will most likely be a script, and your answers will likely be scored.  You may not be the only applicant who gets this far, and your scores had better stack up against the other suitors.  To do well in the interviews I have been part of, you would need to demonstrate that you have done some homework on the unit's role and your trade; know a bit about current affairs (relevant to the military;) have considered the impact of your new career on your regular school/work/family life and have considered how to mitigate that impact; and be able to answer some simple, relevant questions about yourself and your experience (IE "Tell me about a time when you resolved a conflict."  "Tell me about a time when you had to overcome adversity.") 

To sum up: 

Initial interview = first date.  Don't Suck.

Tests etc = Demonstrate your potential.  Work hard and pass.

Board interview = meeting Dadddy. 

A final thought - Do you know what the recruiters main role is?  It's to recruit people - not to scare them off.  If you get to that board interview, it's because we have an opening, and we want you in it.  Be articulate, be honest, and be aware that "I don't know" is a terrible answer, second only to a lie as the worst thing you can say in an interview.

Back