• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RAN diver mauled by shark

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Yikes!!! I hope it wasn't a great white shark!!!

:o

http://www.military.com/news/article/February-2009/aussie-navy-diver-mauled-by-shark.html?wh=wh

Australian Navy Diver Mauled by Shark
February 11, 2009
United Press International

SYDNEY -- An Australian navy diver taking part in a test of anti-terror devices in Sydney Harbor was mauled by a shark Wednesday morning.

The 31-year-old diver punched the shark, apparently driving it away, The Australian reported. But he was left with gouges on his right hand and thigh.

Ambulance officers who transported the diver to St. Vincent's Hospital said he was in "good humor" despite injuries described as very serious. At the hospital he spent two hours in surgery.

"I wouldn't be surprised, they are very tough buggers," Rear Adm. Nigel Coates, commander of the Australian Fleet, said.

"They are trained to deal with this sort of thing. We believe he punched the shark twice and it then disappeared. It was all over in a matter of seconds."

The day's diving exercises were canceled after the attack.

Coates said navy divers are underwater in Sydney Harbor almost every day. He said he hadn't heard of any previous shark attacks there.

It was reported in the press that the family have stated he has lost his hand and possibly his leg. Its believed it was a Bull Shark. A surfer was attacked the following day around at Bondi Beach

CougarDaddy said:
Yikes!!! I hope it wasn't a great white shark!!!
OK, I have no heartache admiting that I can be a bit thick sometimes........

But if you're a diver...MAULED.....by a SHARK - - - does it really matter what kind of shark it was??

[rhetorical question; no response required]

I was in Australia when this happened... I was taking a Commercial Diving Course in Perth and our intructors were ex navy clearance divers who knew the Diver that got attacked... It was a Bull Shark

Bull sharks are extremely aggressive. That incident in 1916 I think it was in New Jersey was a Bull Shark as well if I remember correctly (from reading, no I wasn't there so no smart @ss remarks please).

ArmyRick said:
Bull sharks are extremely aggressive. That incident in 1916 I think it was in New Jersey was a Bull Shark as well if I remember correctly (from reading, no I wasn't there so no smart @ss remarks please).

That is indeed correct:  Wikipedia - Bull Shark

Bull sharks are typically solitary hunters, but occasionally hunt in pairs. They often cruise through shallow waters. They can suddenly accelerate and can be highly aggressive, even attacking a racehorse in the Brisbane River in the Australian state of Queensland. They are extremely territorial and attack animals that enter their territory. Along with the great white and tiger sharks, bull sharks are among the three species most likely to attack humans. One or more bull sharks may have been responsible for the Jersey Shore shark attacks of 1916, which was the inspiration for Peter Benchley's novel Jaws.

Scary buggers! 

Back